Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They call it Chist Mass for a reason.
Yup, it was named that way to hustle in on the very attractive timeslot enjoyed by the existing Yuletide/Winter Solstice/Mithras celebrations.

Quote:
Perhaps you should just celebrate some pagan ritual and it would be more appropriate in your home. Too bad for your kids.
Are you dragging a tree into your home? Deeply pagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Of...what ever I want.

What else is there to do in the Winter?
Take a ski trip to Aspen? Go snow tubing? Ice skating? Celebrate Hanukkah/Kwanzaa.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Perhaps I should wish atheists a Merry Saturnalia?
You can always come to Scandinavia, where we still wish each other a Merry Yule ("Glædelig Jul").

Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
Are you intentionally making things up? Where do I say that people have to do anything? You can celebrate whatever you want. I just find it interesting that atheists celebrate a Christian holiday. Where do I say that my beliefs should take precedence? I guess I should just recognize that some people aren't as strong in their convictions. It's okay to be anti-Christian...as long as it doesn't get in the way of a good celebration and "doing it because everyone else is".
Where do you say that your beliefs should take precedence?

In snarky comments like, "some people aren't as strong in their convictions."

My convictions are every bit as strong as yours. I just see holidays and other celebrations as ways to connect with other people, to find the things we have in common, to build relationships. You see them as ways to exclude other people, to put other people down because they don't share your beliefs.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Um.... I loathe Islam one million times more than Christianity. I openly post about it here. Try doing a quick search and educate yourself if possible. You are wrong. Again.

I love religious people. They're always wrong and silly.

Be careful of such words as "always" and "never", as they can create somewhat of a problem for one when defending thoughts.

So you hate Muslims and Christians? That cuts down the number of people who are "acceptable" to you in the world fairly dramatically.

Again, why don't you celebrate the pagan holiday and call it something else, like the winter feast or druid day, or something more appropriate for your family? Did you ever think that restricting Christian thought completely in your house is somewhat authoritarian and that the elimination of access to such information is embracing the conduct you claim to abhor? Two of my kids don't go to church- they have been presented with information and choose not to do so- that is fine. I guess I feel okay about that, particularly when I have not initiated fascist methods of restricting information to my kids.

Why are liberals now more like fascists, rather than the low key hippies of 40 years ago?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Where do you say that your beliefs should take precedence?

In snarky comments like, "some people aren't as strong in their convictions."

My convictions are every bit as strong as yours. I just see holidays and other celebrations as ways to connect with other people, to find the things we have in common, to build relationships. You see them as ways to exclude other people, to put other people down because they don't share your beliefs.
You're making wild leaps of assumption. I prefer to deal with what I see written rather than pretending to guess at what someone really meant.

In either case, Merry Christmas to you.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Looks like most Athiest and Agnostics celibrate Christmas.

Like many, as a former Christian I celibrate it now as a secular holiday. I have the tree, stockings, Santa Claus, Reindeer, cookies and milk and all of those Christian symbols and I say Merry Christmas to everone including Jews and Muslims. I also send presents and cards to family members who are Jewish and Muslim for Hanukkah and Ramadan during those Holidays.

Face it Christmas, is not just an American Holiday but it is celibrated in many ways by many people around the world.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times
I don't really think of Christmas as a "Christian" holiday in the first place... there is no such thing as "Christmas" mentioned in the Bible, for one thing.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you don't believe, why do you feel the need to tell Christians and Muslims that you don't believe? Seems you are still looking for some kind of approval.
Why do Christians, Muslims, et al feel the need to tell others they do believe? Must be looking for some kind of approval, eh?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
Nope.....just a hypocrite. Hanukkah looks like fun too, but I'm not Jewish so I don't observe the holiday.

Hanukkah has decorating and gift-giving too. I'm betting most atheists don't observe this religious holiday.
Same can be said about christians when christmas was first adopted as a christian holiday.

It's a cultural tradition rather than a religious tradition for many people. If it was strictly religious, then it would be unconstitutional for it to be a federal holiday!

As an agnostic atheist, I only celebrate christmas because my family does, and I don't want my son to feel left out of the toy-receiving. Frankly I'm not big on tradition at all, whatever it might be. But I sure do enjoy the days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies