Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Did you read the file of the reasons? This isn't like denying life saving treatments

27.8% of those were from not enough information provided (meaning a second claim needed to be filed).
20.9% were non covered elective services.
13.8% were bills submitted to the wrong insurer.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...reportcard.pdf

I guess research is scorned when you can just get angry about something.
You asked for a link and now you want to rationalize the numbers. Is it not true that Medicare denies more treatments as the original poster claimed?

Facts don't lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That would be the provision of the law, called the medical loss ratio, that requires health insurance companies to spend 80% of the consumers’ premium dollars they collect—85% for large group insurers—on actual medical care rather than overhead, marketing expenses and profit.

Sooo...what's going to happen?

I am not going to pretend to be an expert on this topic.
I do know that my husband and I are now paying twice as much for health insurance, while receiving far less coverage than we once had.

Maybe the same careful scrutiny given to the fine print in my premiums will also be given to those who make my healthcare decisions for me.
I don't even know why he messed with it? It was super awesome. Why mess with such a great system. Remember no one said HC needed to be fixed so why.......oh why

Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But, the point you have not addressed is the fact that the argument you make against the mandate is one you could make against auto insurance.
wrong

auto ins is NOT mandated...in fact it is a STATE ISSUE..not a fed issue

second

I dont call my auto insurance companie eveytime I take the auto in for a check up or annual visit

INSURANCE is supposed to be about the BIG STUFF...not a runny nose

that is the problem with you entitlment mentality folk

you think some company (or government) shold PAY for YOUR BILLS..even if you dont CONTRIBUTE a red cent

do you call your home owners insurance company when you are replacing a furnace...or when you are repainting your daughters room.or when you want a kitchen update....NOPE....why because it is INSURANCE, not upkeep, not CARE

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

if you are a dishwasher with no money, then you wont be driving..therefore not needin insurance

and if you hit me and hurt me then THROUGH THE COURTS you will pay...why should some insurance company pay YOUR BILL
I can get a car for $1000 cash by selling some pot on the side and just drive without insurance. I have no assets so you can go ahead and sue but you'd never get anything.

So basically, I'm riding on your back and wallet by contributing to the risk pool of auto accidents and of having health care issues....but paying NOTHING in. Thanks!

It's EXACTLY like auto insurance and some states have EPIDEMIC levels of my imaginary scenario above. Especially common among illegals and in states with very high auto insurance costs like NJ.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Because your points aren't really the points I care for, but am sticking to the topic, which is about private healthcare, and their shrinking presence (potential for).

But see, if Canadians have access to catastrophic insurance, the dooms-day idea is non-sensical. Is it not?

You buy it.

But yes, I'm not opposed to paying taxes to "cover" insurance either. It is a greater cause than to pay taxes to keep the military industrial complex running.
Yeah....thanks for sticking to the topic. LOL.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Insurance companies don't pay. Someone else does (and then you do, via increased premiums as well). Did you think they were charitable causes under the guise of businesses?

But, the point you have not addressed is the fact that the argument you make against the mandate is one you could make against auto insurance.

Our government? I would have to agree. We're pathetic at electing the government... a look at the congress proves it. But to sit and say that our $2.5 trillion healthcare system was best left to be, of which half of the cost is covered by the government, is ridiculous, which makes whining about balanced budgets rather... uninformed.
you said it your self in this post 2.5 trillion

the cost of a singlepayer system would be somewhere between 2-5 trillion to 5 trillion (depending on a partial coverage or a full coverage)

that would work out to the 110 million taxpayers to be a 25k to 50k taxbill ANNUALLY....can YOU (as a taxpayer) afford that...I think not

Old 12-05-2011, 12:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter whether it is state or fed. A mandate is a mandate, and certainly not without a valid reason (or does being a "state" matter make any issue immune from reason?).

BTW, if your state chooses to devise its own program (as many states are), you would not have to worry about mandate by the federal government. This is a provision with the health care reform, that states can opt out of it as soon as 2014.

Quote:
you said it your self in this post 2.5 trillion

the cost of a singlepayer system would be somewhere between 2-5 trillion to 5 trillion (depending on a partial coverage or a full coverage)
As if the ridiculousness of your arguments isn't enough, you love to pull numbers from thin air as well. But then, I'm not surprised for someone who is into pushing inefficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah....thanks for sticking to the topic. LOL.
Would you prefer one-liners as well?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
wrong

second

I dont call my auto insurance companie eveytime I take the auto in for a check up or annual visit

INSURANCE is supposed to be about the BIG STUFF...not a runny nose

that is the problem with you entitlment mentality folk

you think some company (or government) shold PAY for YOUR BILLS..even if you dont CONTRIBUTE a red cent

do you call your home owners insurance company when you are replacing a furnace...or when you are repainting your daughters room.or when you want a kitchen update....NOPE....why because it is INSURANCE, not upkeep, not CARE
In all seriousness, if more people were like you we wouldn't have this issue. I'm FARRRRRR from being entitlement minded...I pay all my bills. Sadly, we have a bunch of people in this country that blow every cent they have, or don't want to do anything but roll blunts and then because we won't let people die outside the hospital because they OD'd on Xtasy....YOU AND I wind up paying their bills.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter whether it is state or fed. A mandate is a mandate, and certainly not without a valid reason (or does being a "state" matter make any issue immune from reason?).
When you buy health insurance you do so to protect yourself. When you buy auto insurance you do so to protect other drivers. It's not the same thing. Also, you have the option of not driving if you don't want to buy auto insurance. Obamacare mandates you to buy a commercial product as a condition of citizenship; that is as unprecedented as it is unconstitutional.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
As if the ridiculousness of your arguments isn't enough, you love to pull numbers from thin air as well. But then, I'm not surprised for someone who is into pushing inefficiencies.

Would you prefer one-liners as well?
not numbers out of thin air.....nope facts

the FEDERAL (not counting what the state kicks in) cost for medicaid (a quasi-singlepayer system) is 310 billion to cover less than 35 million poeple(about 1/9th of our population)

we have 320 million people population

300 million time 9= 2.7 trillion

or we can use the medicare and medicaid numbers

the federal tab is over 800 billon to cover about 71 million people PARTIALLY...((and that is using the LOWBALL PAYMENTS from medicare/medicaid...that many doctors are r3efusing, because they dont cover the actual cost of care)))....the math comes out to.....3.6 trillion....but thats counting the higher cost seniors

look at the stats of people LIFESTYLE and HEALTH

over 100 million (1 in 3 )americans are OBESE

19 million people CURRENTLY are fighting CANCER, with 1.8 million new cases per year

number of americans with heart desease: 26.2 million and of those((Number of visits with heart disease as primary diagnosis: 16 million ))((Number of discharges with heart disease as first-listed diagnosis: 4.2 million))

More than 25 million Americans have significant vision loss.(((hmmm more than 25 million americans are blind or going blind.....that's more than norway,finland, denmark,switzerland,and austria COMBINED TOTAL population....)))

number of americans with diabetes: 26 million

mumber of americans with asthma: 20 million....Each day 11 Americans die from asthma.

number of americans in nursing homes: 2 million (one of the bigger costs to medicaid AND medicare) the average cost of a room for a nursing home is over 70k per year(or $192 a day)The highest rates for a private room in 2005 were reported in the state of Alaska where the cost is $204,765 a year or $561 a day on average. The lowest rates were found in Shreveport, Louisiana, at $36,135 a year or $99 a day. The average length of stay in a nursing home for current residents is 2.4 years, which makes the average cost of a nursing home stay approximately $168,192

hmmm 2 million people with an average cost of 70k per year....thats 140,000,000,000 (140 billion right there)...just in nursing home costs

while some of those may overlap...look at those numbers 19,26,25,26,20...that's 116 million with MAJOR health problem,,costly problems......we will ALWAYS be the largest spender in the world...we have the 3rd hightest population in the world (next to china and india) and we have more people (total, not a percentage) with major problems than any other country in europe.....I just showed you at least 116 million people with cancer,heart,blindness, diabetes, asthma.......that's more than france and great britian COMBINED for their total populations.

my numbers of 2.5 trillion to 5 trillion are certainly in the ballpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies