Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,410,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think the driver's license requirements vary by state. I know here in GA non-citizens, unless they are legal residents/aliens cannot get a driver's license unless they have superb fabricated documents. You need a birth certificate to get a license here and this has been a requirement since I have lived here since the mid 90s.

Also many of you are glossing over the fact that voter fraud is not a big issue in this country. Though I have my misgivings about the NAACP, I do not liken them to terrorist groups like many do or being against America. I actually do feel they provide a lot of legal services to minority communities (and not just black people) for free and that is a good thing.

It has been proven that voter fraud is extremely rare (Source). According to statistics it is more plausible that you would be struck by lightening than for voter fraud to exist.

Plus it seems all of you are not concerned about the wasted money involved in providing "free" IDs to those who cannot or don't want to buy them. We have an ID machine at my job and it costs over $1K and it is a small machine designed for infrequent use. We have to replace it every 2-4 years because of it being outdated. We are budgeting a new $6K machine next year, this one is also designed for infrequent use. ID cards themselves cost around $5 per card. This does not take into account the tracking software that is embedded in cards these days. We have this sort of software and it is expensive and requires a seperate licensing fee for each PC/computer that this software is installed on. I actually wouldn't mind having these laws struck down and this issue dropped if not for the saved money alone.
Voter fraud is not that rare. Just ask the couple of Democrats in DC who got caught voting more than once for Obama. They used a mail in, then showed up at the polls in their home towns. They tried to say that they didn't know it was illegal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,757,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Voter fraud is not that rare. Just ask the couple of Democrats in DC who got caught voting more than once for Obama. They used a mail in, then showed up at the polls in their home towns. They tried to say that they didn't know it was illegal!

Voter fraud happens in less than 1% of the general voting population. No matter what you think. It is rare.

Plenty of democrats claim the same sort of fraud attempts by republicans that you claim of democrats. Many black people felt that they were disenfranchised in 2004 in Ohio. It was shown that fraud existed in Ohio at a rate of .0004%. Recently the RNC said that Wisconsin had a high amount of voter fraud. It was found that Wisconsin had a voter fraud percentage of .00002%

I would think as a conservative you would not support something that is rare and that will costs your respective state or federal government thousands upon thousands of dollars. People will lose those IDs and the cost of the card, upgrading the machines, I didn't even mention the ink in those machines which also cost nearly $1K will be coming out of your pocket via more taxes.

But heh, people don't like to listen to reason when it comes to partisan politics so believe what you like.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Voter fraud happens in less than 1% of the general voting population. No matter what you think. It is rare.

Plenty of democrats claim the same sort of fraud attempts by republicans that you claim of democrats. Many black people felt that they were disenfranchised in 2004 in Ohio. It was shown that fraud existed in Ohio at a rate of .0004%. Recently the RNC said that Wisconsin had a high amount of voter fraud. It was found that Wisconsin had a voter fraud percentage of .00002%

I would think as a conservative you would not support something that is rare and that will costs your respective state or federal government thousands upon thousands of dollars. People will lose those IDs and the cost of the card, upgrading the machines, I didn't even mention the ink in those machines with also cost nearly $1K will be coming out of your pocket via more taxes.

But heh, people don't like to listen to reason when it comes to partisan politics so believe what you like.
Easy fix. People need to pay for their own ID. Problem solved. There is NO way that a person who is legal to vote has no ID. How did they apply for assistance? How do they cash those checks? How do they drive? How did they even register to vote?

Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,757,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Easy fix. People need to pay for their own ID. Problem solved. There is NO way that a person who is legal to vote has no ID. How did they apply for assistance? How do they cash those checks? How do they drive? How did they even register to vote?

This has actually already been brought up in the court cases here in GA where I live specifically. The GOP said they would allow those who could not afford an ID or even transportation to get an ID a free card and free transportation to get it. So now we are on the hook for wasting money for something that is not even a relevant issue. WTG GOP!!

In response to your questions I can answer from the view of being involved in senior housing. Many people registered to vote years and years ago and never moved or they just go to their old polling place. They only need a Birth Certificate for assistance, which is not considered a valid ID. Also it does not cost money to apply for assistance. Many people sign their SSI checks over to relatives to cash or they have direct deposit. Lots of older people have bank accounts and have had them for years and do not need to cash checks. A lot of older people do not drive. I know where I work, if our residents need transportation we will get them in touch with organizations to take them places. Our housing authority also provides a bus to seniors so they can go vote on election day that will take them straight to the poll in their respective precinct and wait for them to take them home. They registered to vote years ago. Many people do it at the library. You didn't need an ID to get a library card years ago. You do need one now - a - days but even back when I moved to this area, the mid 90s, you did not need to provide an ID to get a library card or register to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies