Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,354,072 times

Advertisements

Many are, or at least have the capability to do so without your knowledge or consent. And, there is no way to easily disable the cyberspying from logging your passwords, GPS locations, text messages, emails, websites you visit, phone calls you make/receive, etc. and transmitting them to Carrier IQ. Be sure to watch the embedded video too. Scary stuff if this information gets in the wrong hands which, IMO, already IS in the wrong hands.

Quote:
Carrier IQ claims its software is installed on over 140 million devices with partners including Sprint, HTC and allegedly, Apple and Samsung. Nokia, RIM and Verizon Wireless have been alleged as partners, too, although each company denies such claims.

Privacy concerns surrounding Carrier IQ were initially brought to light by Trevor Eckhart, a security researcher who became alarmed by the extent of information accessible by the analytic software. In the following video, Trevor presents much of his findings, which seemingly demonstrate Carrier IQ's keystroke logging, location tracking and ability to intercept text messages. Even information that should be transferred only within encrypted sessions is captured in plain text by Carrier IQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM

7,792 posts, read 8,064,391 times
I have a dumb phone so no worries. Yet

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,014,413 times
I no longer have a cell phone - I found it too intrusive and distracting.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,094,169 times
How boring would some one have to be to be interested in my habits?

Dog park, Costco, Pho, visiting family. Oh wow, that's a huge deal

Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,120,271 times
I hope so.

That way, I'll never get lost!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
How boring would some one have to be to be interested in my habits?

Dog park, Costco, Pho, visiting family. Oh wow, that's a huge deal
Don't be obtuse. Many people with smartphones use them for lots of private uses like banking, accessing email, making online purchases, etc. I guess if you don't care if you're being keylogged then you deserve to be. We should still have the option to OPT OUT though, which we currently don't. If you don't find that to be disturbing, then no cause for alarm (for you).

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,542,055 times
I have a "dumb phone," too. The thing is my second one of the same model and I bought the first one several years ago. Even better, I found the same model at Amazon for fifty bucks and bought another for if and when this one is destroyed by me when on the run, dropping things, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,094,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Don't be obtuse. Many people with smartphones use them for lots of private uses like banking, accessing email, making online purchases, etc. I guess if you don't care if you're being keylogged then you deserve to be. We should still have the option to OPT OUT though, which we currently don't. If you don't find that to be disturbing, then no cause for alarm (for you).
Wow, no need to get worked up and angry. Close your eyes, breathe, let the rampant fear go down.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, no need to get worked up and angry. Close your eyes, breathe, let the rampant fear go down.
Yes, I am angry that people's personal private data is being farmed without knowledge or consent and the company doing so fails to disclose what they do with this information.

Think about the bigger picture for just a moment. What if hackers were able to access this company's vast databases that store your every electronic move, every password you enter, every place you visit, every phone call/text/email you make or receive. Better yet, what if the government decided it wanted this information for its own purposes? This is blatant privacy violations. People were up in arms about the Patriot Act and the fact that the government could listen in on select phone calls without a warrant. This goes far beyond what the PA encompassed. Everyone should be concerned, and I don't even own a smartphone.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM

656 posts, read 650,987 times
I think this is a good idea. If I get lost driving out in the desert I want SmartPhone to be able to track me for the rescue mission. Anyone who doesn't like this is a paranoid or is doing something they shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies