Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,559 times

Advertisements

I knew a dear, hard working woman who had worked at the same job for 22 years and had insurance through her employer. The plant was suddenly closed and moved overseas to China and she lost her insurance. The problem was that 2 months prior to this she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She had only unemployment and could not get insurance because she had cancer and little income. Had this plan been in place then she would still be alive today. It wasn't and she isn't. I too wish that Obama had pushed for a single payer plan. However, PCIP will save hundreds of thousands of lives and for that I am grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I knew a dear, hard working woman who had worked at the same job for 22 years and had insurance through her employer. The plant was suddenly closed and moved overseas to China and she lost her insurance. The problem was that 2 months prior to this she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She had only unemployment and could not get insurance because she had cancer and little income. Had this plan been in place then she would still be alive today. It wasn't and she isn't. I too wish that Obama had pushed for a single payer plan. However, PCIP will save hundreds of thousands of lives and for that I am grateful.
By then there will be so much inflation from the printed money that the Mcdonalds dollar menu will become the one hundred dollar menu

Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Wanting everyone to have insurance is not the issue. Both sides of the aisle agree that everyone should have coverage. It's how it will be paid for and the overarching constitutionality of it all that deserves heavy scrutiny. Why do Liberals have trouble differentiating between the two?
It is not true that both sides agree that everyone should have insurance. I've read post after post, mostly from RWs, that insurance should be abolished, cash only is better, etc. Obviously these people have no idea how much a night in the hospital, an operation, or chemotherapy costs, to give just a few examples.

Quote:
Additionally, why does anyone need to be on their parents insurance at age 26? Are we raising losers and leeches in this country?
Not this crap again! Many jobs that 20 somethings can get do not provide ins. or it is so expensive to someone just starting out that they forgo it. It doesn't cost *that* much more to put them on the parents' ins. Sometimes the YA pays the parent. That's what we do with our daughter, who is a part time student and has a part time job that does not provide ins.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Additionally, why does anyone need to be on their parents insurance at age 26? Are we raising losers and leeches in this country?
Not any more or less than your parent's generation did, and before then, and before then. But, you make an interesting point against people having more choice. Why do you hate it?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Wanting everyone to have insurance is not the issue. Both sides of the aisle agree that everyone should have coverage. It's how it will be paid for and the overarching constitutionality of it all that deserves heavy scrutiny. Why do Liberals have trouble differentiating between the two?
It's too complex for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The pre-existing condition clause will be the end of private health insurance.
No, it won't. That's a silly statement.

In the first place, if people bought their own health plans instead of being mindless morons and getting something shoved down their throat from their employer, there wouldn't be any pre-existing conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I knew a dear, hard working woman who had worked at the same job for 22 years and had insurance through her employer. The plant was suddenly closed and moved overseas to China and she lost her insurance.
Again, if she had her own health plan it wouldn't matter who she worked for and whether the moved or burned down, fell over and sank into a swamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is not true that both sides agree that everyone should have insurance. I've read post after post, mostly from RWs...
That's one person, not all "right-wingers."

Quote:
Not this crap again! Many jobs that 20 somethings can get do not provide ins. or it is so expensive to someone just starting out that they forgo it.
Why do you have to purchase insurance through your employer? Is that not the stupidest thing?

And don't say 20-somethings don't have money...they can find money to hang out at Starsux and play with their iPods and Blackberrys, so they have plenty of money to buy an health plan.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM

25,843 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Who would have paid for this woman's treatments before Obamacare? You and I.

Who will pay for it after Obamacare? You and I.

The cost of healthcare is not going to go up at all for the taxpayers. My healthcare quadrupled before Obama was elected.

You republican idiots don't want to face the truth of what is happening in America. Your Reaganomics right to work crappola is ruining the middle class and the skyrocketing healthcare is only one symptom.

You are getting exactly what you wanted, a largely ignorant, low paid and under insured workforce. It used to be that the corporations took care of their employees and made sure everyone had coverage. Common sense tells you that spreads the cost over a much larger payer base. Now half the people working for wages out there have no insurance and no way to pay for it. They don't go to the doctor because they cannot afford to and then they get extremely sick and lose everything due to lack of coverage and probably die too young.

But that is what the republicans want, they want to you work for nothing, get sick and die so they don't have to pay you.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I have my problems with Obama, and Obamacare. He should have pushed hard for single-payer insurance, IMO.
He did. There wasn't a way to get it passed. The Republicans didn't want him passing ANY bill as it was a big success for him, so he had to use all of his political capital to get the bill that was passed. There were a lot of concessions made, but without them it wouldn't have been passed and he would have failed like the other several presidents before him failed.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
It is not true that both sides agree that everyone should have insurance. I've read post after post, mostly from RWs, that insurance should be abolished, cash only is better, etc. Obviously these people have no idea how much a night in the hospital, an operation, or chemotherapy costs, to give just a few examples.
Something which needs to be addressed is why these things cost as much as they do.

Quote:
Not this crap again! Many jobs that 20 somethings can get do not provide ins. or it is so expensive to someone just starting out that they forgo it. It doesn't cost *that* much more to put them on the parents' ins. Sometimes the YA pays the parent. That's what we do with our daughter, who is a part time student and has a part time job that does not provide ins.
excellent points.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,825 times
Either way, health insurance is useless. Almost 70% of those who declared bankruptcy for medical costs HAD insurance. There are no bigger criminals than the health insurance companies.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,448 times
This is only a transitional plan...it ends in two years and then private insurers are suppose to start picking up the tab....indefinitely........which is why their rates are not going to be as low. They're going to go out of business.....there's nothing in place to distribute the risk evenly among all the carriers. Their rates will be all over the place if the get stuck with too much risk....until they go under. Then another carrier will get spiked with too much risk (until they go under). Then when we end up with a single-payer (the government), that has to cover everyone's risk indefinitely, we'll see where premiums will really be set at (and what providers will have to work for....or change careers if they can't handle the massive cut in income they're going to take). In order for it to work, doctors, nurses, hospitals are going to have to have to work for what they get paid in countries that have single payer UHC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies