Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The October jobs figures for the United States were just released. Illinois led the nation in job creation, adding 30,000 new jobs.
And what about Wisconsin?
Under Walker, Wisconsin now leads the nation in job losses

John Nichols: Under Walker, Wisconsin is No. 1 job loser

No wonder is spending millions on ads to fend off the growing popularity of his being recalled. He's toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Noticed that in the address of the link it said "opinion."

Opinion does not equal facts.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Those jobs that Illinois created, were they minimum wage jobs flipping burgers and/or hiring more public sector employees? The jobs that Wisconsin lost, how many were private sector related and how many were because of public sector layoffs and/or government contracts drying up?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Those jobs that Illinois created, were they minimum wage jobs flipping burgers and/or hiring more public sector employees? The jobs that Wisconsin lost, how many were private sector related and how many were because of public sector layoffs and/or government contracts drying up?
A job lost is a job lost.

@JordanJP: Opinion articles can contain facts. # of jobs is not an opinion, although the writer may be expressing an opinion about same.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

John Nichols: Under Walker, Wisconsin is No. 1 job loser

No wonder is spending millions on ads to fend off the growing popularity of his being recalled. He's toast.
Unions are spending hundreds of millions to retire Walker because their way of life is ending.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A job lost is a job lost.
No, there is difference. One is supported voluntarily by consumers. One is supported by force by tax-payers.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Noticed that in the address of the link it said "opinion."

Opinion does not equal facts.
Job numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics are facts, not opinions. The job losses in Wisconsin are facts.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Unions are spending hundreds of millions to retire Walker because their way of life is ending.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Along with the rest of the working classes.

First they came after the union members and I said nothing...

Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Who cares? These days, a job is a job, and any job loss ends up costing us all. There is no validity to believing that consumers have any voluntary say about either the private or the public sectors. If that was true, private businesses would not still be sitting on their cash. They would all be busy hiring workers.

Hate on the unions if you want, but when they were at their height in the 50's, the average non-degreed, non-professional worker brought home more income- real income, with far higher taxes placed on it, than the same worker doing the same job in the 80's brought home. Union or not. The unions floated the entire wage scale upwards, and non-members profited from it.

I have never been a union member, and I live in a Right To Work state. I ran my own business most of my life, and I have seen how a state declines when the unions are busted up.
Business does not provide the level of expertise to all workers that unions require as a part of membership. We all end up paying for mistakes done in critical jobs, and we all end up paying twice for some of them- we get bit first on the shoddy construction, and then we get bit again when that it has to be replaced.

Right To Work was created so that an unqualified person can do the same work for the same wage as a qualified person. At least, that was how it was intended to be. Idiots could run the same machines as skilled operators. Idiots could wire houses. Idiots could build foundations. We had only inspectors to be our guards in public safety, and now, most of them have lost their jobs as local governments' employees are squeezed down to the bare minimum. We won't even know who to go after when we get bit now, as the gal who keeps the records that were written by the fired inspector also got the axe.

The real result of Right To Work soon became nothing but a race to the bottom, where only the cheapest prevailed. Right To Work means Right To Starve for any skilled workers these days. It has severely lessened the safety of our public buildings, our public schools and roads, and has cheapened the quality of our once world-beating products.

I guess the folks in Wisconsin are re-learning that lesson.
Gov.Walker may be able to overcome the recall, but he's toast. He won't ever get a second term, and will go down as Wisconsin's George W. Bush in the history books.

i haven't kept track much on the petition signatures, but I learned 150,000 of them were collected in the first 24 hours of the recall. That's about 1/5 of the total number needed in 24 hours. If I was Walker, I would be sweating bullets right now, but that's just me... I try to be a realist in most things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies