Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Better yet, why doesn't the homosexual community bring the law suit forward themselves if you really believe your rights are being violated?
They did with Proposition 8. You don't understand how the legal system works very well.

What do you think, a bunch of gay people can walk up to the Supreme Court steps and demand to be heard that their home state is depriving them of the right to marry their partner?

It doesn't work that way. The legal application of a government granted right can take awhile, because until the Court system catches up, it's left in limbo. That's why States are allowed to deny people what the SCOTUS declared a fundamental civil right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
See, it's up to the STATE to decide if they want it legal or not. It is NOT a right! If it was a right ALL states would allow it. Again, if you think your rights are being violated, why haven't you sued yet?
As I already had to tell a guy from Texas this morning, the states have to abide by the 14th amendment, whether you like it, believe it, or understand it or not.

The SCOTUS, applying the 14th amendment, declared it a right. So it is a right for the Feds, the states, and every other entity of government there is in this country.

This is how it is. This is the basis of the lawsuits you seem to not believe exist.

As for why there is no SCOTUS case (yet), there are a whole host of reasons for that. It's only a matter of time.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
As I already had to tell a guy from Texas this morning, the states have to abide by the 14th amendment, whether you like it, believe it, or understand it or not.

The SCOTUS, applying the 14th amendment, declared it a right. So it is a right for the Feds, the states, and every other entity of government there is in this country.

This is how it is. This is the basis of the lawsuits you seem to not believe exist.

As for why there is no SCOTUS case (yet), there are a whole host of reasons for that. It's only a matter of time.
I think SourD just completely ignores that fact, that something being a right, doesn't mean it can't be violated. If that were the case, why do have such a long history of 1st Amendment violations happening in the states?

By SourD's logic, no State has ever violated a person's 1st Amendment right to Speech or Religion. And yet it happens all the time, and the State can get away with it, UNTIL the Court's rule on the matter.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times
I agree with him. We have far more other important issues to deal with right now than "rights" for a mentally confused population segment that only make up 2% of the population.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I agree with him. We have far more other important issues to deal with right now than "rights" for a mentally confused population segment that only make up 2% of the population.
And your statement is a total FAIL. The vast majority of psychologists do not consider homosexuality to be a mental illness, and the percentage of Americans who are openly gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender is 3.5%. And those are just the ones who are open about it.

There are fewer Jews in America and in the world than there are homosexuals, but I see religious social conservatives tripping over themselves nearly every day to speak glowingly of Israel and how important it is to support that country.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM

521 posts, read 466,894 times
Quote:
See, it's up to the STATE to decide if they want it legal or not. It is NOT a right! If it was a right ALL states would allow it. Again, if you think your rights are being violated, why haven't you sued yet?
Exactly! libs don't know anything about the contitution

Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

And that time came one step closer today! Prop 8 OVERTURNED: Gay Marriage Ban Struck Down In California

Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...cas-interests/

This is over-the-top - even for Rick Perry. Just terrible. He says equal rights for gays are a "war on traditional American values".

Maybe he'll get the endorsement of the John Birch Society, but will there be anybody else?
Did you read the article? I don't like Perry and no way would I ever vote for him but to use foreign aid for gay rights in other countries? No!

Mind our own f-en business, for Crying Out Loud!

As for gay rights here, it should be up to the states, NOT the Federal f-en Government! God I'm sick of the government just stomping all over the Constitution!

Now, before some idiot comes in and decides that this means I'm against gay rights, you are wrong.

I am against the Federal Government controlling our lives. It is up to the states, let the people decide, NOT the Federal Government. We don't need a nanny!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
God I'm sick of the government just stomping all over the Constitution!
Like when state governments violate the 14th Amendment by passing laws that ban gay couples from contracting civil marriage?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...cas-interests/

This is over-the-top - even for Rick Perry. Just terrible. He says equal rights for gays are a "war on traditional American values".

Maybe he'll get the endorsement of the John Birch Society, but will there be anybody else?
If he had been an adult during the 50 and 60s, he probably would have thought that civil rights for Blacks was a war on traditional American values." Maybe now Bachmann and Santorum will feel a need to step up their anti gay stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies