Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm surprised people still expect honesty out of Washington. I think I was about 8 or 9 years old when I realized they are just saying what they think sounds good. Looks like it took some folks a few decades to figure that part out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow, I'm surprised people still expect honesty out of Washington. I think I was about 8 or 9 years old when I realized they are just saying what they think sounds good. Looks like it took some folks a few decades to figure that part out.
You’re right,,, I guess we’re always hopeful that someone turns off the BS machine. However George W. said it correctly when he mentioned that it’s like propaganda and you have to keep repeating it over and over.,,,,,,,,, Wasn’t it Hitler who also had been told that the propaganda machine had to keep telling people the same story over and over so that they would believe it? Hitler or some Nazis leader?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Lightbulb interesting quotes

I was able to find it. Seems I forgot about some other quotes of interest!

Quote:
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.”
— Herman Goering
Nazi Air Force (Luftwaffe) commander
at the Nuremberg Trials, 1946

Quote:
“...the rank and file are usually much more primitive than we imagine. Propaganda must therefore always be essentially simple and repetitious.
“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly... it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.

— Joseph Goebbels
Nazi Propaganda Minister

Quote:
“How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don’t think.”
— Adolf Hitler

Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I MIGHT believe them if they swore under oath that they were lying---not sure--hmmmm
Fear not, they're developing a habit of ignoring subpoenas and refusing to testify under oath, sparing you from having to make that difficult decision

Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Exclamation lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I saw a TV clip of President Bush paraphrasing the NAZI propaganda minister Gobles (sp?). The gist of the clip was that if they stayed on focus and told the same thing often enough the people would “get with the propaganda”. I doubt if Bush even realized that he was doing it.

The recent speech was the same speech he gave before invading Afghanistan and Iraq. He is setting up the situation for the attack on Iran. I hope the Congress has the courage and power to stop this nonsense.
Goebbels and Bush. No surprise there.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

I was able to find it. Seems I forgot about some other quotes of interest!

— Herman Goering
Nazi Air Force (Luftwaffe) commander
at the Nuremberg Trials, 1946

— Joseph Goebbels
Nazi Propaganda Minister

— Adolf Hitler
Hitler also had propogandized Germany so badly that schools were forced to make children sing hymns of praise to Hitler as being a savior with a status equivalent to Jesus. Bush can't even get prayer in public school to remotely stand a chance of being reinstated. I wouldn't compare Bush to Hitler.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
Quote:
Bush and his speech again today, I couldn’t help but hear parts of it on the news. Unfortunately he and this administration has lied so often and repeated the propaganda to the point that I just don’t believe anything from them or Washington anymore.
That's the same way I felt about Clinton. I adopted a challenge for myself to see how quickly I could get the channel changed before he started talking.

I knew what was going on in the country, just didn't have to listen to him blowing his wind bag.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Hitler also had propogandized Germany so badly that schools were forced to make children sing hymns of praise to Hitler as being a savior with a status equivalent to Jesus. Bush can't even get prayer in public school to remotely stand a chance of being reinstated. I wouldn't compare Bush to Hitler.
Wouldn't compare Bush to Hitler? Give him the next 18 months in office.... you'll change your mind....

Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Bush and his speech again today, I couldn’t help but hear parts of it on the news. Unfortunately he and this administration has lied so often and repeated the propaganda to the point that I just don’t believe anything from them or Washington anymore.
Oh, yes, you can believe some - the facts:

Fact Sheet: The Protect America Act of 2007

The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America: Next Steps

President Applauds Senate for Voting to Renew Patriot Act

Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
Wouldn't compare Bush to Hitler? Give him the next 18 months in office.... you'll change your mind....
If you truly believe that, you really need to visit a library and read some material that isn't being propagandized on a political blog.

Bush isn't even a good Mussolini, Stalin, or Kruschev. To compare him to Hitler is to give him WAY too much credit. Hitler was an absolute genius both politically and intellectually. The only problem was he used it for a horrible purpose. You don't really think Bush is as smart as Hitler do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies