Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So we have massive amounts of boomers going on social security and medicare. We have many more people on medical assistance (aka getting health care).

Chuck 'em off I say!!!
We also have a whole lot more babies being born into welfare households than ever before. In some parts of the country, more babies are born to Medicaid than to paying patients.

Actually as far as the boomers and elderly -- people today are working longer than in the past. In the past, it wasn't unusual for most people to retire at age 62, now you see people having to work for quite a few more years.

You really can't look at the new retirement ages and blame the retirees, it's a lot about irresponsible breeding, women having children they can never afford and having no clue who the father was, or choosing to breed with dead beats who can't support their offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We also have a whole lot more babies being born into welfare households than ever before. In some parts of the country, more babies are born to Medicaid than to paying patients.

Actually as far as the boomers and elderly -- people today are working longer than in the past. In the past, it wasn't unusual for most people to retire at age 62, now you see people having to work for quite a few more years.

You really can't look at the new retirement ages and blame the retirees, it's a lot about irresponsible breeding, women having children they can never afford and having no clue who the father was, or choosing to breed with dead beats who can't support their offspring.
I see that you see only what you want to see, must be one crazy world you live in.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Long ago I had a bunch of friends who lived in the infamous Cabrini Green housing projects in Chicago. After I had gotten to know them I realized that a lot of them were just kind of trapped in that life. Their lives were actually easy in some ways. They didn't have to wake up in the cold early morning to an alarm clock like I did. OTOH they knew they would always be poor and always be subject to the whim of the bureaucracy that provided their sustenance.

But few of them got out, because the incentive structure had trapped them. This is what we've got writ large now with our welfare state. We've got about 50 pct of the populace who pay no income taxes and collect various handouts. We're moving towards a state where we've got a majority trapped and voting Democrat forever (or maybe we're already there).

We pride ourselves on having abolished slavery 150 years ago, but we've still got it, just in a more subtle, more insidious form.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Two sure signs that you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

1. You read blacklistednews
2. You're surprised that more people are on Medicare and social programs now vs before when there were a lot less old people then.
There is no excuse for your ignorance. 'Blacklisted News' is light years ahead of Fox News which I’m sure you approve of, and the article they cited was from WSJ. Furthermore, I suppose that you think the populace aging 5 years is a good explaination for this:

The number of Americans on food stamps has increased 74% since 2007.

One out of every four American children is on food stamps.

The number of Americans that are going to food pantries and soup kitchens has increased by 46% since 2006.

More than 50 million Americans are now on Medicaid. In 1965, one out of every 50 Americans was on Medicaid, today, one out of every 6 Americans is on Medicaid.
Medicaid is a U.S government sponsored health care program for low-income individuals and families, primarily for persons under 65.

US Poverty Stats: Where the Feds Are At Fault http://dailyreckoning.com/us-poverty-stats-where-the-feds-are-at-fault/#ixzz1fxnmECXs

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Another fact -- far more ABLE bodied people are living off welfare handouts than ever before.

The government keeps piling on new definitions of "disabled' so that now drug addicts are considered to be disabled and can buy their drugs with their welfare checks and receive food stamps and Medicaid. If you don't feel like working but have perfectly healthy limbs and an IQ over 70, you can claim just about any condition, you're too depressed to get out of bed, you have some kind of anxiety disorder, or you're hyperactive.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Another fact -- far more ABLE bodied people are living off welfare handouts than ever before.

The government keeps piling on new definitions of "disabled' so that now drug addicts are considered to be disabled and can buy their drugs with their welfare checks and receive food stamps and Medicaid. If you don't feel like working but have perfectly healthy limbs and an IQ over 70, you can claim just about any condition, you're too depressed to get out of bed, you have some kind of anxiety disorder, or you're hyperactive.
Personally I am for scrapping the entire Welfare system and replacing it with workfare, and I am for scrapping Medicaid and replacing it with government clinics and hospitals to avoid all of the fraud.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
"Means-tested programs, designed to help the needy, accounted for the largest share of recipients last year.

Some 34.2% of Americans lived in a household that received benefits such as food stamps, subsidized housing, cash welfare or Medicaid.

Another 14.5% lived in homes where someone was on Medicare.

Nearly 16% lived in households receiving Social Security."

Nearly Half of U.S. Lives in Household Receiving Government Benefit - Real Time Economics - WSJ
What's shocking about that to me...we have twice as many people on welfare/food stamps/Medicaid and section 8, as we do people that have worked and contributed all there lives and are now able to draw on their Social Security. Anyone else see something wrong with that picture?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What's shocking about that to me...we have twice as many people on welfare/food stamps/Medicaid and section 8, as we do people that have worked and contributed all there lives and are now able to draw on their Social Security. Anyone else see something wrong with that picture?
Unfortunately there is an attitude in this country among many that it is the government's responsibility to 'take care of me and my children'. Ron Paul grew up 'poor' and worked his way thru college. I did the same. It takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but it is doable with the proper mix of perseverance and self sacrifice. Those traits are sadly lacking among many Americans today. I believe that nothing should be doled out for free, but minimum wages can be paid by the government to those willing to work, who cannot find a job in the private sector. Those jobs can be providing childcare, cleaning, construction of government housing, etc, but giving money for nothing fosters a 'welfare' attitude which is not helpful to the individual or society as a whole.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
my household receives benefits so deal with it

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
my household receives benefits so deal with it
If you really want to work, but are just cannot find a job due to stupid governmental policies and rampant corporate greed, then I feel for you. If you are just rather stupid and or lazy, then you are the one who needs to 'deal with it'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies