Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

Paid maternity leave...I'll go you one better. When I grew up in the 60's & 70's neither my mom nor any of my friends' moms had jobs. In essence not pregnancy leave, but motherhood leave. We were not wealthy; we (and my friends) were all middle class. Now that taxes are so high, along with housing prices (due to liberal government polices such as 'smart growth') two paychecks are required. One to pay for your stuff, and the other to pay for your taxes.

A policy of mandatory paid leave just digs the hole deeper.

Anyway I don't know why we have to have all these subsidies for child bearing. Econ 101--if you subsidize something, you will get more of it:

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...rld+population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A PP went on a self-righteous rant about how here parents lived in a trailer for 7 years, saving up money for a house, then had the kids, blah, blah. You can see I was impressed, not!

I'd still like to know, once you've planned for the child, what is supposed to happen next, once the child is born.
It was a true life tale, you don't need to be impressed by it.

After the baby is born you raise it, hopefully. What the heck do you think happens?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Paid maternity leave...I'll go you one better. When I grew up in the 60's & 70's neither my mom nor any of my friends' moms had jobs. In essence not pregnancy leave, but motherhood leave. We were not wealthy; we (and my friends) were all middle class. Now that taxes are so high, along with housing prices (due to liberal government polices such as 'smart growth') two paychecks are required. One to pay for your stuff, and the other to pay for your taxes.

Anyway I don't know why we have to have all these subsidies for child bearing. Econ 101--if you subsidize something, you will get more of it:

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer
In 1964, the lowest tax bracket was 16%, and the highest bracket was 77%.

Today, the lowest tax bracket is 10%, and the highest bracket is 35%.

In conclusion - WTF are you talking about?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It was a true life tale, you don't need to be impressed by it.

After the baby is born you raise it, hopefully. What the heck do you think happens?
Thanks Ceece!

What my parents did is just an example of the kinds of things you can sacrifice now so you can have something that is more important to you later.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:49 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post

Grasshopper, there is more to taxes than nominal marginal federal tax rates. Effective rates are what counts. Not to mention state and local taxes. That is WTF I'm talking about.
t

Old 12-11-2011, 02:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
Quote:
Grasshopper, there is more to taxes than nominal marginal federal tax rates. Effective rates are what counts. Not to mention state and local taxes. That is WTF I'm talking about.
t
Okay, so what was the aggregate tax burden then compared to now?

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All Years, One State, 1977-2009

Huh, so, according to this, the state-local tax burden is about .6% lower, and my other link states that federal income tax rates are also lower... I think someone may be peering into the past with rose colored glasses...

We just spend a lot more money on stuff, now. Two cars, more expensive cars, bigger house, cell phones, cable, etc, etc... Not to mention health care and retirement costs have gone up.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:53 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer
Or is it that people nowadays require "too much house"?

Whatever happened to 1200 sq. ft. homes with just one bathroom?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
t
It's not just taxes. Over time we have become a very materialistic, consumer-oriented society. The toys and gadgets that each cost something per month adds up.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post

Quoting tax brackets is meaningless. Actual taxes paid is what is important.

There are many other factors besides tax brackets that determine taxes paid.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just taxes. Over time we have become a very materialistic, consumer-oriented society. The toys and gadgets that each cost something per month adds up.

I'm not sure that's materialistic. Maybe we have just found ways to better enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies