Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people against this type of program are pro-militarization. I have my bets going already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Look into FMLA. If I remember the way my employer handles it you take FMLA for a month and use up your accrued sick and vacation time then after I think 3 months if you don't want to return short term disablity kicks in and you can receive 60% of your salary. My wife took off I think a month and used vacation time so we were paid while on FMLA. By law you can take up to a year and still return at your same position no matter what the payment arrangements with the companies HR dept are.
I think I took 8 weeks off. 2 before birth and 6 after, or something in that range. A combo of paid time off and short term disability. I had many sick days saved up! That was a long time ago though. I don't think any company should pay a woman for months/years to have a baby. That's really lame.
It's still a gamble taking a lot of time off since, law or no law, there may not be a job to come back to these days.

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Actually you don't since the US has never had this type of program AND since other countries with these types of programs actually put their money where their mouths are.

The US has been paying for mothers to be single and have babies for a long time...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The US has been paying for mothers to be single and have babies for a long time...
No it hasn't. Stop spinning and let's talk facts, shall we? If I wanted to watch Fox News I wouldn't have cancelled my cable.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
No, that's a work-at-will state. That still doesn't give them the right to fire someone for requesting FMLA as long as it falls under the FMLA Act.
Call it what you want it's all the same. However, I misunderstood you pertaining to someone requesting FMLA.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't think any company should pay a woman for months/years to have a baby. That's really lame.
It's still a gamble taking a lot of time off since, law or no law, there may not be a job to come back to these days.
Let's not forget... some women are serial birthers. They can take time off for YEARS. All the more encouragement to discriminate against women of child-bearing age.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
I would never offer paid compensation for no work, as a benefit. It sends the wrong message (and no doubt this vulgar mentality is almost entirely the reason people think they should be entitled to get paid this freebie. The idea simply spreads not only in the private sector, but much worse the idea spreads like a bad Internet meme in the sphere of public policy such that people are not simply content to ask this of their employer, some actually want politicians to mandate it).

I would negotiate with an employee about a great many compensation possibilities, but that one I would take completely off the table as being absolutely beyond the pale of consideration. If an employee wants more pay, a better position, longer vacation package, I could accept that. I will not consider paying somebody for not working.

If any other employer wants to compete by offering such a ludicrous compensation package, they are more than free to do so. I won't willingly be a participant in it, however. If it means I have to compete against other employers who offer such a perk, so be it, that's life. That will just be a hardship of life I have to pay for.

---------------------

If a female gets raped and they can't find the perpetrator to hold him accountable and make him pay dearly through the nose every penny compensation due, then you can maybe consider a "government program" that deals with that (not that people should accept that without question, either... but at least you have the fact that it is not your fault going for you such that you are a legitimate victim who deserves in some way to be compensated for your loss and damages - making it not too dissimilar from the way that taxpayers also have to fund court judgments for civil right violations which were perpetrated by public servants). That's it's own discussion, though. However, that circumstance is not even remotely qualitatively similar to a woman who was a co-cause of a hardship by ones own actions, only to then demand a compensation package from others, whether that demand be directly thrust upon the employer, or on the backs of all taxpayers (but more specifically those who would choose to not reward you for your actions that caused that situation - since it is not the people who would pay for such a thing that are the object of my objection), as part of some new program. Unlike the case of rape, it's an attempt to reject the encompassing responsibilities that often come with bringing that misfortune on oneself, pawning off their problems on society writ large.

Anyone that wants to pay for such a program willingly, have at it. Check the proverbial or literal box on the tax form which says you wish to be a participant in that program. And likewise, I consider it more than reasonable for you to benefit from such a program should the time ever come where you are the recipient, rather than the donor. And any Europeans want to do it, same to them. Don't expect that others want to donate to that program though, simply because you are eager to. And that includes Europeans alike. Anybody that acts like Europeans are in some kind of enlightened consensus about that public policy is probably intentionally ignoring those [often vocal] voices of dissent over there from those who find it just as unacceptable as many in the U.S. do.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Listen folks, having babies isn't a ploy to get welfare, it's the reason you're all here. I'm getting a little tired of how lightly the job of having kids is being taken. It's what we are made to do, it has far more meaning then saving the government tax payers a few bucks. It should be covered and expected for woman who work. If you don't want woman working pay men a salary that can actually support a darn family!!!
If you all don't have a little respect we can stop having babies at anytime and see where that'll get ya. You definitely won't have to worry about financial obligation with no population.

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No it hasn't. Stop spinning and let's talk facts, shall we? If I wanted to watch Fox News I wouldn't have cancelled my cable.
WIC
Food & Nutrition Service Home Page

Quote:
Limitations - The credit is limited if your modified adjusted gross income is above a certain amount. The amount at which this phase-out begins varies depending on your filing status. For married taxpayers filing a joint return, the phase-out begins at $110,000. For married taxpayers filing a separate return, it begins at $55,000. For all other taxpayers, the phase-out begins at $75,000. In addition, the Child Tax Credit is generally limited by the amount of the income tax you owe as well as any alternative minimum tax you owe.

Additional Child Tax Credit - If the amount of your Child Tax Credit is greater than the amount of income tax you owe, you may be able to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit.
Ten Facts about the Child Tax Credit
Quote:
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) - find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
Rental Assistance/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

That's just a few... There's a whole slew of state run programs.

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Let's not forget... some women are serial birthers. They can take time off for YEARS. All the more encouragement to discriminate against women of child-bearing age.
I imagine they would have to return to work for a period of time to be eligible for pay again...kind of like unemployment. I don't know. It's just mind boggling to think anyone would support that kind of thing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies