Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,216,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Are you under the impression that the UAE allows free immigration? I think you are mistaken.
Did you even read my post? All I said was that Dubai was much more conservative than Germany. If someone considers the USA to be too liberal and Communist, Western Europe is probably not a good match for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Doesn't surprise me. I know people who have left the country soon after graduating from college. I know are few who are in Korea teaching English. Doesn't surprise me.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Did you even read my post? All I said was that Dubai was much more conservative than Germany. If someone considers the USA to be too liberal and Communist, Western Europe is probably not a good match for them.
I apologize, I thought you were suggesting Dubai as a place to emigrate to.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Mmm, maybe I have to rethink my plans. I was under the impression that there was no Central Bank in The Caymans. Are they under control of the British Central Bank?

Does anyone know of any countries in the Carribean that have no Central Bank?
The Cayman Islands has a Monetary Authority. Just did a quick search, but did not read through it. It may help you (or not?)

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d081028sp.pdf

Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
When I was a teenager(around 2001), I thought about moving to Canada, The Netherlands, the UK, and France. A big part of it came from reading books about those places and getting jealous because I was seeing things that I felt like we didn't have. I also didn't feel like I fit in anywhere(even though I am an American). I felt like I needed to travel more.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
I read this article as sort of an anti-Obama piece. Some of the wording in it gives me that impression. The USA is a very diverse country and I think many young people have been returning to their native land or the native land of their parents. And the economic situation in Europe is better than the USA at the moment. That might be a hard sell. And USA citizens are being granted permission by these other, foreign governments to work abroad when nationals of those countries are searching for the same work? That might be a hard sell, also. I'd like to see some stats on how this supposed outflow of people from the USA stacks up against the experience in other countries. In Mexico, probably 20% of the nation has left there. And we know why. Interesting discussion, though.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Thinking about Panama, Costa Rica or Brazil.

Maybe retire in Cuba after the death of the Castros and/or Communism.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
And USA citizens are being granted permission by these other, foreign governments to work abroad when nationals of those countries are searching for the same work? That might be a hard sell, also.
You're right. Nations naturally want to provide the available jobs to their own citizens first. I read posts by so many here saying they might just go to Australia, New Zealand, Canada , Switzerland or Japan, etc. to live, not aware, apparently, that most countries have restrictive immigration policies. Even third world nations have restrictive policies. Try getting permission to live in India. Try getting a visa to even visit Saudi Arabia. It's not as easy as people think. If it was, I'd be living in Canada right now.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Thinking about Panama, Costa Rica or Brazil.

Maybe retire in Cuba after the death of the Castros and/or Communism.
Now there are some possibilities. Equador is very affordable right now. The better areas of Costa Rica are already so full of expatriates that property prices are equal to or more than stateside. Nicaragua and Belize are still affordable.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I read this article as sort of an anti-Obama piece. Some of the wording in it gives me that impression. The USA is a very diverse country and I think many young people have been returning to their native land or the native land of their parents. And the economic situation in Europe is better than the USA at the moment. That might be a hard sell. And USA citizens are being granted permission by these other, foreign governments to work abroad when nationals of those countries are searching for the same work? That might be a hard sell, also. I'd like to see some stats on how this supposed outflow of people from the USA stacks up against the experience in other countries. In Mexico, probably 20% of the nation has left there. And we know why. Interesting discussion, though.
I can speak from my own experience: the local population is 10% of the entire population. Dubai just celebrated it's 40 anniversary. It is 40 years young, so it didn't have a large pool of educated locals to draw from for many years, and still doesn't. The only jobs locals want are government jobs. On top of which, there is no incentive for locals to work as the government gives them everything. A few years ago you had boys coming out of college who were put in government companies as CEOs. There was also an expat as the COO because someone had to run the company. Private companies don't want to hire them for a host of reasons. They are spoiled, pampered people who don't have a strong education. There are those who went to college in the US and UK, who hold high positions. Even if every local was employed, the need for expats will always been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies