Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:06 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You're right. Conservatives don't have the ability to manufacture phantom votes like the liberals do in the urban centers.

Nor do liberals have the ability to manufacture urban myths like this one that conservatives seemingly egest with ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Shhhh.

She's convinced that a popular vote would be bad for conservatives.

She should be, because it would.
It would be bad for the country.

Why do we have elections? What is the point? It's not just to elect someone into office. Aren't elections about the people getting a say in what their government does? About getting to know a candidate, qualifying that candidate, but also about telling that candidate what the people want?

The election process is a conversation.

If it were just about a candidate telling us what he's going to do, then that could just be printed on the election ballot, and people could check the name and be done with it.

The conversation is between the candidates and the voters. It's a chance for candidates to evolve as they hear and consider what the voters have to say.

Democracies are inherently flawed. They give a tremendous advantage to urban voters, and render rural voters irrelevant on virtually every issue. Democracies are just about numbers, and urban areas have the numbers, rural areas don't.

The National Popular Vote is about eliminating the electoral college by rendering it irrelevant, and it exacerbates the problem that rural voters have with being heard. Our system of government is about giving people a voice. The National Popular Vote silences the rural voice, and that is to the detriment of all of us as a nation.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Shhhh.

She's convinced that a popular vote would be bad for conservatives.

She should be, because it would.
No, I am convinced it would be bad for the whole country. This really has nothing to do with liberals or progressives or conservatives.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uh oh...here we go with the race baiting disguised under the "urban centers" banner.

Why not just come out and say it: "i don't want black votes helping to determine elections....unless they're going to vote for Republicans, of course."

See how easy that was?

Now you try it.
how about you share some of your hallucinogens with the rest of us? The poster you quoted didn't say a damn thing about race.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It would be bad for the country.

Why do we have elections? What is the point? It's not just to elect someone into office. Aren't elections about the people getting a say in what their government does? About getting to know a candidate, qualifying that candidate, but also about telling that candidate what the people want?

The election process is a conversation.

If it were just about a candidate telling us what he's going to do, then that could just be printed on the election ballot, and people could check the name and be done with it.

The conversation is between the candidates and the voters. It's a chance for candidates to evolve as they hear and consider what the voters have to say.

Democracies are inherently flawed. They give a tremendous advantage to urban voters, and render rural voters irrelevant on virtually every issue. Democracies are just about numbers, and urban areas have the numbers, rural areas don't.

The National Popular Vote is about eliminating the electoral college by rendering it irrelevant, and it exacerbates the problem that rural voters have with being heard. Our system of government is about giving people a voice. The National Popular Vote silences the rural voice, and that is to the detriment of all of us as a nation.
Thank you and a rep to you for understanding what the Electoral College is all about in the first place.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
This stuff just pisses me off. I can't understand how so many people just don't understand why the Electoral College is needed to stay in place and how the popular vote for President would be so damn ruinous for our country. I am just sick of the stupid people in this country. What the hell is it about the constitution that so many people hate anyway?

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9280257-mcconnell-warns-of-popular-vote-catastrophic-outcome
What the ............... WE vote in every elected oficial in the land by popular vote, it is apsolutely ludicrous that we allow politicians to override our vote when it comes to the highest official in the land

Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What the ............... WE vote in every elected oficial in the land by popular vote, it is apsolutely ludicrous that we allow politicians to override our vote when it comes to the highest official in the land
It's not politicians that override our vote.

The problems with the electoral college do not originate with the electoral college. It's with apportionment. First, the restriction on the number of representatives in the House of Representatives skews the electoral college as well as skewing representation nationwide. Second, the state-imposed winner-take-all system throws the balance of the electoral college off. We need to address the problems with apportionment, because that problem is foundational to the many other problems in our current system. When a representative is trying to represent the interests of 750,000 people, that representative is going to fail. Those people are going to feel that Congress has failed them, because only a handful will actually feel like the representative knows what they want and votes accordingly. That's what we're seeing with the current Congress and the previous sessions. The low approval numbers are reflecting a crisis in our representative system. And the remedy to that crisis is not to dissemble the electoral college. That's going to exacerbate the problem with people feeling disenfranchised. We need to address the real problem in our government, that the number of legislators is inadequate to do the job of real representation.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
This stuff just pisses me off. I can't understand how so many people just don't understand why the Electoral College is needed to stay in place and how the popular vote for President would be so damn ruinous for our country. I am just sick of the stupid people in this country. What the hell is it about the constitution that so many people hate anyway?

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9280257-mcconnell-warns-of-popular-vote-catastrophic-outcome
Civil War.

When New York, California and a few other states start dictating how the great middle of the country lives you'll see the republic come apart.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
how about you share some of your hallucinogens with the rest of us? The poster you quoted didn't say a damn thing about race.
Ok...then you explain what and who he meant with the whole thing about manufacturing votes in the "urban centers" comment. Which people in the urban centers?

You Repubs think that folks can't read between the lines at these comments? Gimme a break.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uh oh...here we go with the race baiting disguised under the "urban centers" banner.

Why not just come out and say it: "i don't want black votes helping to determine elections....unless they're going to vote for Republicans, of course."

See how easy that was?

Now you try it.
For the record, YOU brought up race, and you are apparently the only person that even thought about it.

"Urban center" generally means "metropolis." I grew up in the "urban center" of Los Angeles, and when I hear the term, I don't think of race. I think of a large city with a high population density.

If I thought that everything that anybody ever said or did boiled down to racism, as some people on this forum seem to think, I'd not only be wrong, but I'd also be a very unhappy person. Maybe that explains why those people are also so belligerent.

Bitterness has few benefits, and plenty of drawbacks. That is particularly true when one is bitter for no reason at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies