Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should handheld cell phone use while driving be legal?
Yes 7 12.50%
Only for calls, but not for texting, e-mailing, etc. 15 26.79%
No 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM

535 posts, read 585,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yes....being concerned about some distracted fool heading down the road in a two ton vehicle is just being a sissy.

Now don't let risking peoples lives stop you from texting your BFF useless drivel.

I am against BAD DRIVERS, and people not paying attention to the road and driving safely. However, I am more against laws that create criminals or tickets out of victimless situations. If someone is texting and runs over someone , they should be punished harshly, but if someone is texting and doesn't get in even an accident, they should not be thought of as a criminal or given a ticket. No victim, no crime. ANything else is against Liberty.

I am against Mothers who promote totalitarianism
cough"madd"
These mothers are too lazy to raise good kids themselves, that they would rather have politicians write laws making other people's kids criminals for just making unwise immature choices that don't hurt anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Handheld phone usage of ANY kind is already banned here in CA, and personally I'm glad... people already drive like idiots in this area, so we really don't need the added problem of talking/texting on the road.

People still break the law, of course, but I've noticed a serious decrease in the issue since it was outlawed. My sister recently got a $150 ticket for talking while driving, and it finally convinced her to fix the hands-free system in her car! I was happy to hear that, since it worried me when she'd talk while driving with her kids. I drive a stick-shift myself, so I've never been able to do that anyway (except maybe on the freeway). And right now my bluetooth is broken, so I simply ignore the phone if it rings or beeps while I'm driving. What a concept, eh?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
I am against BAD DRIVERS, and people not paying attention to the road and driving safely. However, I am more against laws that create criminals or tickets out of victimless situations. If someone is texting and runs over someone , they should be punished harshly, but if someone is texting and doesn't get in even an accident, they should not be thought of as a criminal or given a ticket. No victim, no crime. ANything else is against Liberty.
As somebody asked earlier in the thread, do you feel the same about drinking and driving? It's not dangerous until it is, if you know what I mean.

Usually I'm not the type to support "nanny laws," but some drivers are too stupid to recognize a seriously hazardous situation - and that's when these laws become necessary. Some people can handle safely texting while driving, but most can't... just as some people can safely drive drunk, but for the most part it's a tragedy waiting to happen. I'm less concerned about people talking on a cell phone, however texting & driving just seems crazy to me.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Handheld phone usage of ANY kind is already banned here in CA, and personally I'm glad... people already drive like idiots in this area, so we really don't need the added problem of talking/texting on the road.

People still break the law, of course, but I've noticed a serious decrease in the issue since it was outlawed. My sister recently got a $150 ticket for talking while driving, and it finally convinced her to fix the hands-free system in her car! I was happy to hear that, since it worried me when she'd talk while driving with her kids. I drive a stick-shift myself, so I've never been able to do that anyway (except maybe on the freeway). And right now my bluetooth is broken, so I simply ignore the phone if it rings or beeps while I'm driving. What a concept, eh?
Yes, you now have a choice: pay the government a ticket or pay a corporation for a device you don't need. Talking on a handless device is just as distracting as talking on a handheld device: fact. Bad drivers will continue to be bad drivers whether or not they have a cell phone in their hand. We have always had bad drivers. Today, most people have and use cell phones. So when a person sees a bad driver, chances are they're on a cell phone and people think it's the cell phone. Studies say this isn't the case. I'd rather have a cell phone talker in my lane than a guy eating his lunch on his lap, a woman putting on makeup or a guy on his laptop (true story). So... I really don't think the handheld cell phone talking is the true issue.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yes, you now have a choice: pay the government a ticket or pay a corporation for a device you don't need. Talking on a handless device is just as distracting as talking on a handheld device: fact. Bad drivers will continue to be bad drivers whether or not they have a cell phone in their hand. We have always had bad drivers. Today, most people have and use cell phones. So when a person sees a bad driver, chances are they're on a cell phone and people think it's the cell phone. Studies say this isn't the case. I'd rather have a cell phone talker in my lane than a guy eating his lunch on his lap, a woman putting on makeup or a guy on his laptop (true story). So... I really don't think the handheld cell phone talking is the true issue.
That's why I try to avoid doing anything but driving (and listening to the radio) on the road... why do people have to multitask everywhere these days?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's why I try to avoid doing anything but driving (and listening to the radio) on the road... why do people have to multitask everywhere these days?
Do people read newspapers while they drive in San Fran or is that just an east coast thing? I don't even eat while I drive unless absolutely necessary. I've seen too many people really messed up from auto accidents in my day.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Quote:
Texting while driving increased 50 percent last year, and two out of 10 drivers say they've sent text messages or emails while behind the wheel despite a rush by states to ban the practice, the National Traffic Safety Administration said Thursday
Ok, have auto accidents gone up by 50% this year? No? Well then all of those people must not be having wrecks while texting.
That's a poor understanding of statistics.

The article says that .9% of drivers were observed texting while driving.

Suppose that there are 1000 drivers.
.9% of 1000 = 9. 9 Of them are texting.
991 of them are not texting

If non-texters crash 10% of the time, that would be 99 non-text crashes
If texters crash are twice as likely to crash , that would be 2 text related crashes.
That makes 101 total crashes.

If texting went up 50% then (.09%/1.5) there were only 6 texting drivers in 2010. Using the same crash ratios we get:
99.4 non-text crashes and 1.2 text crashes for 100.6 total crashes. That's an increase of (101/100.6) .03% from 2010 to 2011; nowhere near 50%

Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That's a poor understanding of statistics.

The article says that .9% of drivers were observed texting while driving.

Suppose that there are 1000 drivers.
.9% of 1000 = 9. 9 Of them are texting.
991 of them are not texting

If non-texters crash 10% of the time, that would be 99 non-text crashes
If texters crash are twice as likely to crash , that would be 2 text related crashes.
That makes 101 total crashes.

If texting went up 50% then (.09%/1.5) there were only 6 texting drivers in 2010. Using the same crash ratios we get:
99.4 non-text crashes and 1.2 text crashes for 100.6 total crashes. That's an increase of (101/100.6) .03% from 2010 to 2011; nowhere near 50%
Meanwhile, fatal accidents are at an all-time low. But that probably has to do most with airbags and seatbelt laws, and it is perhaps slightly influenced by road congestion.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Since some ('special') people will continue to ignore laws against tech distracted driving, possible actions to protect the public may be:
  • Increase penalties significantly: via suspended licenses, very expensive fines, or both, especially for repeat offenses or accidents.
  • Disable the technology: via preventing operation by drivers. This appears problematic since selectively disabling a driver while allowing passengers may be difficult....but technology folks are pretty creative so it may not be impossible.
Just thinkin'

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
it's amazing that you people are descendants of the wild west..

all your ancestors would disown you- sissy _ _ _ s!!!!!!
Huh??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies