Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was this woman wrongfully fired?
Yes 24 45.28%
No 29 54.72%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times

Advertisements

Reality today, a SNL comedy sketch 15 years ago. Just claim you're a woman and you can have access to their bathrooms, changing rooms, etc:
Saturday Night Live Clip (Mistaken Roommate) - IMDb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Meanwhile if an employee let's a "so-called" transgender person into a fitting room and someone get's raped, they would be fired as well.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Firing of Macy's worker pits freedom of religion vs. GLBT rights - San Antonio Express-News

Do you think this woman was wrongfully fired or did Macy's do the right thing by firing her? Moderator cut: see comment Let's stick to the topic at hand and not get into a religious debate of how you think being transgender is a sin.

I don't agree with what the worker the did and I think Macy's was right in firing her. How can you tell someone their not allowed to use the women's dressing room just because you think they look like a man. What if she was really a woman but had masculine features?
I think the Macy's manager that made the decision to fire this woman should be fired, for being stupid and incompetent. If you have a penis, you're not a woman, and have no right or need to use the ladies dressing room.

Hey, I guess I'm transgender....I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. Let me into the girls locker room!

I find this statement hilarious:
Quote:
“And if the employee's religious beliefs keep her from carrying out her functions on the job, then she should find another job.”

What ever happened to "reasonable accomodation"? Businesses are attacked all the time for not allowing female employees to wear burkas or masks as attacking their religious freedom. Yet not allowing a guy into the woman's room is a "religious belief" that we can't tolerate?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think the Macy's manager that made the decision to fire this woman should be fired, for being stupid and incompetent. If you have a penis, you're not a woman, and have no right or need to use the ladies dressing room.

Hey, I guess I'm transgender....I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. Let me into the girls locker room!
What if you have a penis and a vagina? What if you're an XY-female or an XX-male (or another any many other intersex conditions)? We have no idea what kind of transgendered or intersexed condition this customer has.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I don't believe the law ought to recognize any gender except what's in your chromosomes. I don't think having your genitalia modified entitles you to be treated as the opposite sex. Having said that, it was stupid to make a big deal out of this person a fitting room, and the employee lost me as soon as she brought the Bible into the discussion. Her belief in the Bible has nothing to do with her job and she should've been fired on that basis.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
Store policy trumps religious belief. Score one for the lavender mafia. The let her go just to avoid a lawsuit. Like it or not any Christian beliefs in today's society take a back seat to anyone's freakshow, and yes you can loose your job over it.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What if you have a penis and a vagina? What if you're an XY-female or an XX-male (or another any many other intersex conditions)? We have no idea what kind of transgendered or intersexed condition this customer has.
Are you suggesting that we check to find out? There is no other way of knowing what people have down there. That's why you have to go by what they are legally classified as.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Are you suggesting that we check to find out? There is no other way of knowing what people have down there. That's why you have to go by what they are legally classified as.
We legally classify people for trips to dressing rooms on private property?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't believe the law ought to recognize any gender except what's in your chromosomes. I don't think having your genitalia modified entitles you to be treated as the opposite sex. Having said that, it was stupid to make a big deal out of this person a fitting room, and the employee lost me as soon as she brought the Bible into the discussion. Her belief in the Bible has nothing to do with her job and she should've been fired on that basis.
But then that would be discrimination. You can't fire someone for having different beliefs. If you fire someone because they broke company policy that is one thing, but would you be saying this if the person being fired was LGBT?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
We legally classify people for trips to dressing rooms on private property?
No the law does that. If you are born a man, you are a man. There is nothing that you can do to legally change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies