Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times

Advertisements

I just can't believe how many truly stupid people still believe that millions of Americans ALL just all got lazy over the last few years, ALL voluntarily quit their jobs because unemployment compensation provides a luxurious life style and they wanted to lose their houses so everyone's houses lost value. ...they all wanted their loved ones to suffer and worry.

How can any SANE person believe that crap?

A. There aren't jobs.

B. No one should have to work for less than unemployment...that's just stupid ..to lose money on principle??!!!! How totally irresponsible that would be but really stupid people believe that's a good idea

C. It's been reported that employers do NOT want to hire someone who doesn't have a job already....that makes it pretty hard to get a job.

D. Take advantage of Obama's retraining..GOOD IDEA...but after that training how many 50-somethings are going to get a job?

E. And to the truly brain dead...if your neighbors lose their home because they no longer can collect unemployment...YOUR HOME'S value goes down... a SMART person would want their fellow Americans to do as well as poosible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And the majority of Moderates in the middle believe in a little of both. As in helping someone with food while they are learning to fish
It takes longer than 99 weeks to learn how to fish?

Maybe for lefties.....

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
And I have talked to 5 different hiring Managers about hiring people that are overqualified for jobs and they all said they would be very reluctant too. Reluctant means not hire in this job environment. I used to be in HR.
I too got the same response, till I asked, "Would you not rather have someone who is OVERqualified, rather than UNDERqualified?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
There are numerous reasons why someone can't go back to work..
There are numerous reasons why someone can go back to work
Quote:
Suppose your job was loading semi's in a warehouse...
Learn a new skillset
Quote:
You going to continue working on crutches??
No, I am going to learn a new job skill, one that doesn't require me to be amubulatory.
Quote:
Don't think so....

I'm sure a white collar pencil pusher would be able to go back to wrk.....
Then become a white collar pencil pusher.

It's real easy to complain, and make excuses. It's another to take charge and do something. I work in IT, because I trained myself. I spent 10 years in the U.S. Navy, starting out is an Engineman on a Diesel electric submarine, converting to a machinest mate, trained in diesel engines, HPAC air compressors, R12 refrigeration, hydraulics, pnuematics, and other mechanical skills. Then I was permanently injured.

Based on YOUR post, I should sit around and complain about life being unfair and I can't do what I was trained in? If I was still able to walk and stand, I would probably still be tearing down large engines and rebuilding them, I enjoyed working on them.

If you can't work at what you know, learn something new.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What are these jobs? Are they $7 an hour fast food jobs? You can't feed a family on that.
You can if you work 2 or more jobs a week like I did at one point in my life.

In fact at one point I was working 4 part time jobs a week, up to 90 hours in total, to keep things going.

You do what you have to do, especially when you have others depending on you.

It also sets up a good work ethic in those depending on you, they learn to work and not to depend on handouts to survive. They see it can be done, if you MAKE it happen, instead of relying on the good graces of society to hand it to you on a platter.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I just can't believe how many truly stupid people still believe that millions of Americans ALL just all got lazy over the last few years, ALL voluntarily quit their jobs because unemployment compensation provides a luxurious life style and they wanted to lose their houses so everyone's houses lost value. ...they all wanted their loved ones to suffer and worry.

How can any SANE person believe that crap?

A. There aren't jobs.
I think the more accurate statement is, "There aren't any jobs you feel aren't beneath you to work". There are plenty of jobs, show me a single city that has a local paper with the help wanted ads totally blank.
Quote:

B. No one should have to work for less than unemployment...that's just stupid ..to lose money on principle??!!!! How totally irresponsible that would be but really stupid people believe that's a good idea
Now we are getting somewhere.. This translates, why should I work, if I am going to get paid more for not working? You also realize that while you may start out with a lousy paycheck, it's a start and MOST companies have a path of advancement that will allow you to earn bigger and better paychecks.
Quote:
C. It's been reported that employers do NOT want to hire someone who doesn't have a job already....that makes it pretty hard to get a job.
It's also been reported in every paper across the country that there are jobs that require no prior training. You may actually have to WORK, but you earn your own paycheck instead of expecting someone ELSE to work and pay taxes so you can sit around drawing a check that pays more than actually getting a job.
Quote:
D. Take advantage of Obama's retraining..GOOD IDEA...but after that training how many 50-somethings are going to get a job?
Well at 47, I started a new job, at the bottom, , and have worked my way up.
Quote:
E. And to the truly brain dead...if your neighbors lose their home because they no longer can collect unemployment...YOUR HOME'S value goes down... a SMART person would want their fellow Americans to do as well as poosible...
If my neighbors lose their homes because they can no longer collect unemployment, then it's their loss. I was able to keep my home, car, feed and clothe my kids, and everything else working multiple part time crap jobs, until I was hired at a decent full time job, and even then, in the beginning, I had to work some part time jobs here and there to survive, since I started at the bottom, and then worked my way up.

It's easy to complain, it take intestinal fortitude to get up and do what needs to be done. I know, I did it personally.

Oh and yes, I have a permanent disabling injury that prevents me from standing.walking any time or distance, and take 60mg of morphine a day to deal with the pain. In fact that's why I am not asleep right now, even WITH the pain meds, I hurt enough that I cannot sleep at the moment. sooner or later, the extra vicodin will kick in, and I will be able to get a few hours of sleep, and get up to go to work.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Why not offer a standard benefit with an optional extended benefit at additional cost to the employee?

Everyone get the 26 weeks. If you don't want the extended coverage, don't buy it.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,736 times
Unemployment benefits should come as one lump sum, that way there's no reason to sit around and keep collecting. Once you get your money you should be free to start looking for a job.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
There is a different between "then" and "than."

That is all.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
There aren't enough jobs to put everyone to work. And no, working 4 part time minimum wage jobs over 90 hours a week in not sustainable or even practical long term. And even if it was, if everyone did that there would STILL not be enough jobs and many more will be lost becasue nobody has money or time to do anything but clothe,feed and house themsleves. This country has lost countless jobs and we need to get those back.

That said, I don't think unemployment should pay out longer than it already does, that's welfare and a whole different ball of wax. Unemployment is supposed to be temporary and it does suck that people still don't have jobs with the checks stop but that's just the way it has to be because that's what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies