Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

I think UE as it is is old and tiresome. Whatever money you qualify for UE should be paid out in a lump sum up front, a government loan of sorts, and after that you're on your own.

This would give the jobless person more options like getting out of a home, paying off debt, going back to school or riding out the downturn until they get a job. If they get a job before the "weeks" are out then they have to pay back the money on a prorated basis.

If you qualify for $400/week for 99 weeks, then you get a pay out of $39,600 - taxes owed. If you get a job after 52 weeks then you payback $18,800 - minus taxes paid if that makes sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:25 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There aren't enough jobs to put everyone to work. And no, working 4 part time minimum wage jobs over 90 hours a week in not sustainable or even practical long term. And even if it was, if everyone did that there would STILL not be enough jobs and many more will be lost becasue nobody has money or time to do anything but clothe,feed and house themsleves. This country has lost countless jobs and we need to get those back.

That said, I don't think unemployment should pay out longer than it already does, that's welfare and a whole different ball of wax. Unemployment is supposed to be temporary and it does suck that people still don't have jobs with the checks stop but that's just the way it has to be because that's what it is.
Why isn't working 90 hours a week sustainable? People do it all the time.

People who own their own farms, get up at the crack of dawn or earlier, and work the entire day, every day, 7 days a week.

Is there a difference between a full time job working that many hours, vs multiple part time jobs?

BTW, I am not suggesting that working 4 part time jobs 90 hours a week, be permanent. But it does show a work ethic, and many employers are looking for just that. That gives you another edge in getting a single full time job.

Additionally, as more people go back to work, economy grows, which increases the need for more workers (creates jobs), which makes a continuing spiral.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Working 60-70 hours/week for $7/hr is absolutely enough money. I did that for years and had a few hundred dollars left over every month. You just can't live a luxurious lifestyle.
How much was your housing?

How far away did you work from your home?

How much was your insurance (health and car)?

How many children did you have?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I just can't believe how many truly stupid people still believe that millions of Americans ALL just all got lazy over the last few years, ALL voluntarily quit their jobs because unemployment compensation provides a luxurious life style and they wanted to lose their houses so everyone's houses lost value. ...they all wanted their loved ones to suffer and worry.

How can any SANE person believe that crap?

A. There aren't jobs.

B. No one should have to work for less than unemployment...that's just stupid ..to lose money on principle??!!!! How totally irresponsible that would be but really stupid people believe that's a good idea

C. It's been reported that employers do NOT want to hire someone who doesn't have a job already....that makes it pretty hard to get a job.

D. Take advantage of Obama's retraining..GOOD IDEA...but after that training how many 50-somethings are going to get a job?

E. And to the truly brain dead...if your neighbors lose their home because they no longer can collect unemployment...YOUR HOME'S value goes down... a SMART person would want their fellow Americans to do as well as poosible...

Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The answer is simple. Because endless unemployment benefits prolong unemployment.
Bingo. I know plenty of small buss owners who have openings for entry level. No one wants to work for $500 a week when the gvmt pays $450 not to work.

Its tough enough for small buss to compete with theri competition for employees, but hey thats a free market , they have to pay a little more. When they have to compete with the gvmt its even tougher.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What are these jobs? Are they $7 an hour fast food jobs? You can't feed a family on that.
Not to sound uncaring, but who's responsibility is your family?

Yours or mine?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets just hope you don't have a serious health issue where you can't go back to work...

And there are quite a few...

Difference is it's called Social Security Disability...
Ding, ding, ding, ding......

There it is folks!

The "wait until it happens to you!" argument.

Life is tough, wear a helmet.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
I'm against it if you can't find work in 99 weeks tough luck. The illegals don't seem to have the same problem finding work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
How many are legitimate jobs and not recruiters collecting paper? What are the ages of the postings? You are really stretching it.
If ya look at the time she asked and the time I posted it , it took about 30 secinds to find that.
I would think someone unemployed has more then 30 seconds a day to look for work.

Was a company on the news the other night with 21 open positions. Everything from engineers, to production to shipping.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
You could not be more wrong! For the first time in a very long time there is not enough jobs to go around. So even if you forced everyone to move and didn't care if they were qualified for the jobs they took there still wouldn't be enough jobs for the entire workforce.
So why does the President kill jobs? Even the unions are telling him to go ahead with the Keystone pipeline. Then there's the job killing he's attempting in Texas and New Mexico by putting the sagebrush lizard on the endangered species list.

MILLER: A reptile messes with Texas - Washington Times

He killed jobs of all kinds in Louisiana with the moratorium after the BP oil spill and look at all of those farm workers who lost jobs out west when they wouldn't let them have any water and the crops all died. Then there is the coal industry targetting. I'll stop there but all of those job killing actions not only impact people who work directly in those industries in both white collar and blue collar jobs but people who supply those industries and provide services to those industries, for example, waitresses, hotel workers, store clerks and parts makers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies