Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How Can Anyone Be Against The Unemployment Extension?

Because 99 weeks is more then enough.

If people can't find any type of employment in America after 99 weeks, TS.
I agree. If in nearly two years they haven't found anything at all, it's because they aren't looking at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have a good job, even got a good raise this year, I'm a college graduate and I would bet money I could be hired today in a minimum wage job.

I think that it's totally a myth that no college graduates could ever be hired at minimum wage, but I think employers might be able to sniff out someone who believes he's too good to work for a living.
I agree, and when you get hired at minimum wage, you don't stay at that rate for long if you are a good worker, and show some inititive. You get raises and promotions. If you are real bright, you will soon be a supervisor. That's how it works.

The trouble with too many of these people is that they think that they can walk right into the top job with virtually no skills or training. That isn't going to happen. College may give you an education, but it doesn't train you for a job. That happens in a trade school.

Employers want educated people, but they still have to have some experience before they can be the Marketing Manager, the Controller, or what-have-you. It's always been that way, and always will be.

There is only one way to start out as the CEO: Start your own company. Then you will find out how many hours a CEO puts in, and what it's like to run a business. You will soon realize that the people at the top work a lot harder than the shlubb at the bottom that only wants to put in his 40 hours and collect his pay check.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
OK, if 99 weeks is more than enough time to find work, Obama must have us in a pretty good economy right?
Nice try, lefty.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,201,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree. If in nearly two years they haven't found anything at all, it's because they aren't looking at all.
Very well stated. Lots of unemployed folks hold out for that "job exactly like the one they had". Sometimes you have to adapt... and understand that you might not be making even close to what you were making. My son lost his high paying structural design job when the company shut down their operations in his area. Even though he could have sucked up unemployment checks for a long time, he took a job in a completely different field making far less money... I was proud of him. He has since moved back into his field and is making good money again.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
I agree 99 weeks if anything is too long NEVER too short, and wish we would pay lower unemployment as the tiers advance to entice people to stop holding out. Perhaps if each advancing tier came with a 20% cut in benefit levels, we'd see fewer tier 4s.

Zembonez, You should be proud of your son. He showed a solid work ethic via those decisions.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How did they do it before ? This seems to be a new in the past few years and min wage was even less back then.
They were malnourished, lived in substandard housing and almost never were able to scratch their way out of it.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Minimum wage jobs are not meant to raise a family on. and, if you have minimum wage skills, who is responsible for your family?

Every skill set has an organically set wage. That cannot be manipulated. Look at how unions (especially public sector unions) have skewed the wage scale.

What is the wage value of cleaning floors? washing cars? delivering pizza? etc?
I think that is an odd statement. "Not meant to raise a family". Says who? If a person is going out to work, 40 hours per week, scrubbing floors or washing cars or delivering pizzas, it's a full time job. A full time job should pay enough to raise a family. Get rich? Of course not. Stay off the streets and eat decently? Absolutely.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,047,704 times
Life throws curve balls. If you want to play, then you better adjust, and learn how to hit the curve balls. Its tough, work at getting back to work, but that is much sympathy as any of us deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
If you were in charge of hiring would you hire a 30 year old with a Masters Degree and 8 years experiance working in his chosen field for $55,000 a year when there are millions of unemployed blue collar workers who have experiance working blue collar jobs out there?

If you are you are a fool because the educated employee is going to leave as soon as they get something better.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And they wonder why jobs are offshored for a fraction of the labor costs......
No, no. "They" wonder why, with such stupendous profits by huge companies that it's "impossible" to pay a livable wage to low class or blue collar workers.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.

The extension is federally funded. Nobody contributed to that fund except taxpayers. Once it gets that far its not unemployment insurance, its welfare. Nobody said life was fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies