Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM

115 posts, read 226,746 times

Advertisements

[quote=AONE;22060249]When the funds you contributed run out, then it becomes an entitlement program

All the funds Americans have contributed have run out or we would not need to borrow from other countries.

All of America is on an entitlement program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM

170 posts, read 362,024 times
Default indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So why does the President kill jobs? Even the unions are telling him to go ahead with the Keystone pipeline. Then there's the job killing he's attempting in Texas and New Mexico by putting the sagebrush lizard on the endangered species list.

MILLER: A reptile messes with Texas - Washington Times

He killed jobs of all kinds in Louisiana with the moratorium after the BP oil spill and look at all of those farm workers who lost jobs out west when they wouldn't let them have any water and the crops all died. Then there is the coal industry targetting. I'll stop there but all of those job killing actions not only impact people who work directly in those industries in both white collar and blue collar jobs but people who supply those industries and provide services to those industries, for example, waitresses, hotel workers, store clerks and parts makers.
when government is directly, or even indirectly, responsible for the less than ideal economic conditions leading to high unemployment, then in my opinion government is obligated to extend benefits. Perhaps even indefinitely.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think anyone who is working a FT job should be able to support a family on his wages.
It all depends on how you define "able to support a family". My grandparents lived in a house with two other familes during the depression. That's still an option.

If you mean one person working full time making minimum wage should be able to have a stay at home spouse, two kids, pets, cars and a private residence with the trimmings you are just crazy in the head.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It all depends on how you define "able to support a family". My grandparents lived in a house with two other familes during the depression. That's still an option.

If you mean one person working full time making minimum wage should be able to have a stay at home spouse, two kids, pets, cars and a private residence with the trimmings you are just crazy in the head.
You know and I know and all other posters on threads like this know, that nobody has ever detailed just what standard of living should be expected for that minimum wage family.
It has been hinted at that, at worst, it definately should resemble what most of us consider a lower middle class lifestyle.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
when government is directly, or even indirectly, responsible for the less than ideal economic conditions leading to high unemployment, then in my opinion government is obligated to extend benefits. Perhaps even indefinitely.
Great point and true!

Repugs, being quite stupid, think that these folks who lost their jobs , these MILLIONS of Americans, CHOSE to lose their jobs out of sheer laziness!!!

The brainwashed Repugs think ALL thses people didn't get laid off, they think these people quit so that they could stay home and live a life of luxury on unemployment.

They think people quit their jobs so they could lose their homes and make their family, their kids, miserable, on purpose!!!

Repugs are so stupid they don't know that thousands of Americans losing their savings and their homes is bad for ALL Americans EXCEPT the 2% wealthiest.

So Republicans ignore The Wealthy, their ONLY god, who stole BILLIONS in taxpayer's money and , of course, attack average middle class Americans ...

They aren't too bright because they themselves ARE average middle class Americans..

I like to see their stats on how many people who are jobless are Repugs..... maybe THEY shouldn't get an extension since they're perfect...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Option 1: Unfortunately, zoning laws and such have made that an impossibility in many areas of our country.

Option 2: I'm not crazy in the head. You jumped to a conclusion based on my posts, didn't wait for me to confirm whether you were right or wrong and continued to insult me based on your own guesses.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You know and I know and all other posters on threads like this know, that nobody has ever detailed just what standard of living should be expected for that minimum wage family.
It has been hinted at that, at worst, it definately should resemble what most of us consider a lower middle class lifestyle.
Yes, I have on several threads. It's not my fault if you've missed them.

An ability to live a very modest lifestyle without being on government assistance:

1. Live in small house, half double or apartment
2. Pay one's utility bills
3. Have a car (not a luxury one!)
4. Be able to buy things like school clothes, food, etc.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I have on several threads. It's not my fault if you've missed them.

An ability to live a very modest lifestyle without being on government assistance:

1. Live in small house, half double or apartment
2. Pay one's utility bills
3. Have a car (not a luxury one!)
4. Be able to buy things like school clothes, food, etc.
No, my dear That does not answer the question.
What standard of apartment or house?
Any one in any neighborhood that at least provides minimum standards of shelter?A BR for each family member?
Clothes.....thrift store second hand ( that many many working and even well off people are happy with) or must they be new?
Food.....actual basic food that meets nutritional requirements?Or whatever one thinks is suitable?
Utility bills....should that have a cap? Include phone, TV?
Car? What age/condition/price range? And for urbanites where public transportation is available?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great point and true!

Repugs, being quite stupid, think that these folks who lost their jobs , these MILLIONS of Americans, CHOSE to lose their jobs out of sheer laziness!!!

The brainwashed Repugs think ALL thses people didn't get laid off, they think these people quit so that they could stay home and live a life of luxury on unemployment.

They think people quit their jobs so they could lose their homes and make their family, their kids, miserable, on purpose!!!

Repugs are so stupid they don't know that thousands of Americans losing their savings and their homes is bad for ALL Americans EXCEPT the 2% wealthiest.

So Republicans ignore The Wealthy, their ONLY god, who stole BILLIONS in taxpayer's money and , of course, attack average middle class Americans ...

They aren't too bright because they themselves ARE average middle class Americans..

I like to see their stats on how many people who are jobless are Repugs..... maybe THEY shouldn't get an extension since they're perfect...
Quote:
The number of job openings in September was 3.4 million, up from 3.1 million in August. (See table 1.) Although the number of job openings remained below the 4.4 million openings when the recession began in December 2007, the level in September was 1.2 million higher than in July 2009 (the most recent trough for the series). The number of job openings has increased 38 percent since the end of the recession in June 2009.
Quote:
In September, the hires rate was little changed at 3.2 percent for total nonfarm. The hires rate increased in construction and professional and business services as well as in 3 out of 4 regions. (See table 2.) The number of hires in September was 4.2 million, up from 3.6 million in October 2009 (the most recent trough) but below the 5.0 million hires recorded when the recession began in December 2007. The number of hires has increased 17 percent since the end of the recession in June 2009.
Quote:
The quits rate can serve as a measure of workers’ willingness or ability to change jobs. In September, the quits rate was essentially unchanged for total nonfarm, total private, and government. (See table 4.) The number of quits rose from 1.5 million in January 2010 (the most recent trough) to 2.0 million in September, although it remained below the 2.8 million recorded when the recession began in December 2007.
Quote:
The number of layoffs and discharges for total nonfarm has declined to 1.8 million in September 2011 from 2.5 million in February 2009 (peak), returning to pre-recession levels.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/jolts.pdf

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
America can go to it's financial ruin for all I care .Extend the benefits and services there will still be no jobs in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies