Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Just what the heck do you mean by employ the unemployable ?
\
Woule you hire the average wallmart employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Tell me, Waterboy,where do you shop and what do you buy that you can avoid 'cheap Chinese crap'?
If you need a toaster/TV/ washing machine/telephone and can't find one Made in America, do you just go without?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Why would a successful business close their doors. General Motors & Bank of America should close their doors.

Walmart has everything you need.

Woman attempts Meth production in Walmart - YouTube
Holy crap!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 AM

I buy my meat at a local slaughterhouse where they sell localy raised product and have a USDA inspector on site.
I buy produce at local farm stands.
My sugar bowl butter dish loaf pan and lasagnia pan are pottery made in my state.

I buy my clothes here.Jeans Made in USA

For some things that I cant find American made ( very few if one actualy looks) I buy from mom and pop stores, preferably ones that also buy my product.

I also look for a lot of thigs here . American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 AM

913 posts, read 872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This is for all the anti-Wal*Mart folks.

What would you do, besides have a party to celebrate the loss of 1.4 million American jobs, if Wal*Mart closed their doors for good?

We all know that Wal*Mart is a favorite target for certain groups of people. The unions have done a fairly good job of demonizing Wal*Mart, simply because they want to force those 1.4 million people to give them money every month.

But what if Wal*Mart went out of business? All that "cheap chinese junk" would still be sold in all the other stores that currently sell it, but don't currently attract the ire of those people that have an unhealthy hatred of Wal*Mart.

Would you shift your focus to Target? Kmart? Amazon.com? They all sell the same things, yet they've somehow managed to escape the attacks, just because they're not as big as Wal*Mart.

So what would you do? Where would you direct all of that anger?
i'd go and shop at another store. is this a trick question?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I buy my meat at a local slaughterhouse where they sell localy raised product and have a USDA inspector on site.
I buy produce at local farm stands.
My sugar bowl butter dish loaf pan and lasagnia pan are pottery made in my state.

I buy my clothes here.Jeans Made in USA

For some things that I cant find American made ( very few if one actualy looks) I buy from mom and pop stores, preferably ones that also buy my product.

I also look for a lot of thigs here . American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA
Sorry...I was not thinking of food which most of us prefer to buy locally.....especially that slaughter house that's 200 miles away and the farmer's market in Connecticut in January.

However, you have a few pieces of kitchenware made near you.
Wow....is that all that's in your house?

And I commend you, not only for having "mom & pop' stores available to you that sell everything WalMart does but for being willing to spend more for them.(But cheap Chinese crap' is OK if it's not from WalMart,right??)

Now...did you really read that link you provided??
I clicked on a few sites and it is most definately NOT a link that only tells you where to find American mae products.
Looks more like a site that gets paid-per-click to go to other sites where you may or may not find AM products.
Funny thing was one of the featured site links on the opening page is .....TA_DA!!!!>>>>WalMart! LOL

Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 AM

If you want to shop at walmart you have every right to. I prefer not to.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Right we should just let companies pay slave wages because those jobs are not hard to do.
The country has a minimum wage. There are no "slave wages". Some people make choices in life that make them worth the minimum wage and no more. They lack education, skills or experience. If you have a bunch of babies when you are 15 or decide Meth is better than Math, you are not going to be worth much to an employer who wishes to purchase labor. In a free market economy, wages are determined by the worker's capabilities and experience. The more education and/or experience a worker has, the more an employer will pay for that talent. There is a reason why Drew Breese and Aaron Rodgers make more money than a 9th round draft choice.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If you want to shop at walmart you have every right to. I prefer not to.
I agree. I like to keep my dollars as close to home, be that the local retailer, farmer, or manufacturer. We've outsourced so much and yet we wonder why our economy is in the state it is an? I try to make a lot of things homemade anymore. Wal-mart to me has just gotten to the point that it's the cheap easy way to purchase things anymore. Maybe that's okay for some folks.. but for me you get what you pay for, hard work and sacrifice mean something, and easy doesn't mean better.

Aus - who's going to go make soap today that's better and cheaper then I can buy at Wal-mart..... and it's American made... by me.....

Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I prefer shopping at Walmart. Maybe it's a better store than Target or Kmart because they treat their employees better.
Since I have never worked for Target or K Mart I have no idea how they treat their employees. I CAN say how Walmart treats their employees and I have no complaints whatsoever. Also, I think it might have something to do with individual store managers, etc. although Walmart does have 'rules and regs' in place that I haven't seen being abused yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies