Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Nope. If you mean Walmart, Walmart left South Korea because the South Koreans didn't want to shop there, because they would rather pay more for a higher quality product.
Koreans consumers care more about quality than American consumers, who would have thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I would be shopping local as many, many local mom and pops would open...communities would flourish in many ways and it would be a wonderful thing.
keep dreaming

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
keep dreaming
That's for sure - the mom&pop retail ship has sailed. On the plus side, there seem to be more mom&pop service businesses than ever.

How can anyone seriously believe that eliminating WM would bring back a single mom&pop bookstore???

There are still some niches though where a well-run local operation can work - e.g. selling and installing remnant carpeting, under the radar of Home Depot & Lowes. Another is beverage stores where prices are controlled by the state.

Here's a good mom&pop story - in 1990 I bought a new house and needed a lawn mower. I decided on the model I wanted, which was around $550 at my local hardware store. I asked the owner if he could do any better, and he told me if I could find it cheaper somewhere else I should buy it there. So I went around to a dozen stores outside my town but within 15 miles or so. The highest price I found anywhere was $500, with one as low as $389 IIRC. I went back to my local guy - I figured I would give him the business at $450 - and he treated me like I wasn't worth his time, so I drove about 12 miles to buy it. Needless to say, that local store was history by 1995. Walmart's fault? Not on your life.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Just stopped by WalMart with my old man who needed a new garden hose. The hose was Made In the USA. Imagine that. I thought all they sold was Chinese stuff.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
If Wal-Mart closed, there would be quite a few jobs gone since after the government, it's one of the biggest employers in the United States (probably worldwide).
Yes, but not for very long. Any closure gap would soon be filled by smaller competitors, both local and national. Any of the skills Wal-Mart workers have could be directly put to use by their competition, and the wages offered by the competition couldn't be lower than Wal-Mart's.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And most likely the prices would be hirer and most Mom & Pop stores don't offer much in the way of pay and benefits.

So, what is the gain?
I was going to continue and say the mom and pop stores would probably go back to there own ways before Wal Mart and not learn anything.

Perfect example is here in town there are 2 lumber stores that have been in buisness for 75 to 100 yrs and they won't budge a dollar on anything. I have been remodeling a rental of mine in the last 2 yrs and have had to travel to North Platte,NE 70 miles north several times. I have spent around 5000.00 and would have cost me almost double here in McCook, NE.

I have asked management several times for at least 20 to 40.00 off but said no. So I spend that on gas and go elsewhere.

I bought tires for my 4x4 and front end alignment for 665.00 and was even given 40.00 off for gas in North Platte.

Asked in McCook and said it would be 1000.00 plus extra for alignment, and I told them well I will go to N.P. and they said go for it.

So they must not be hurting as much as they want you to think.

I know all the benifits that go with buying local but my money is important to me just like theres is.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
My biggest problem with Wal-mart is the fact that when I go there, inevitably I can't find much "Made in the USA." I can remember shopping proudly there when they had things made here in the states. I'm trying to take a more proactive role in only buying products made in the US. If Walmart were to once again be an American Company, providing USA products.. I'll gladly shop there again, even hating it as much as I do now. Until then... I will do my due diligence and seek out American made products on the net and in our local community stores....

It's hard to find American made products anywhere.
Wal Mart sells the same name brands as other stores.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I buy my meat at a local slaughterhouse where they sell localy raised product and have a USDA inspector on site.
I buy produce at local farm stands.
My sugar bowl butter dish loaf pan and lasagnia pan are pottery made in my state.

I buy my clothes here.Jeans Made in USA

For some things that I cant find American made ( very few if one actualy looks) I buy from mom and pop stores, preferably ones that also buy my product.

I also look for a lot of thigs here . American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA
Almost all of the food products I buy at Wal Mart are locally made.
Does anyone think they get meat from China?
I get most of my clothing at Cabela's; I don't know where they're made.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Korea kicked SLAVEMART out because you can't treat a Korean worker the way Slavemart treats Americans
Anybody believe that?
What is the minimum wage in Korea?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Punching numbers on a cash register qualifies for big bucks?
Nineteen bucks an hour in Kalifornia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies