Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I have friends who's politics (or other opinions) I don't agree with. But we're still friends because I respect their right to their opinions and respect mine. A friend who cannot respect my right to my opinion is no friend of mine.

[and I think your friend was not really a friend but then again he has a right to his reaction - sorry]
yeah, and i have a right to my reaction. if a friend makes a hurtful bigoted comment then that i can't really feel comfortable around him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Being a right wing conservative is a character flaw, but we all have character flaws.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
a number of years ago when i came out as gay to my friend. he was awesome. he was mad that i didn't say anything all along. he was mad that i felt scared to make this known. he was a nice guy, played in a punk rock band and even was my roommate on two occasions.

then he started watching fox news and listening to conservative radio.

he got addicted to politics

at one point a two years ago he told me that if i wanted equality that i should move to california to be with my own kind.

after this we didn't really talk until last week when he asked me if i wanted to start hanging out again.

he said that he is no longer into politics. he is married now and with a kid on the way and with no other friends, wants someone to hang out with occasionally on the weekends.

i told him that i'd like to reconnect.

Why does politics do this to people? how is it beneficial to people if it makes us more hateful and angry then we were originally?
First off, that's not politics. All that your friend was enamored with was arguing, hate and competitiveness using politics as the proxy. Real politics is conducted as a serious and civil intellectual discussion among intellectuals. It's not a WWF or UFC match as some radio personalities are trying to make it. It need not enstrange your friends if they really understand politics.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
a number of years ago when i came out as gay to my friend. he was awesome. he was mad that i didn't say anything all along. he was mad that i felt scared to make this known. he was a nice guy, played in a punk rock band and even was my roommate on two occasions.

at one point a two years ago he told me that if i wanted equality that i should move to california to be with my own kind.

after this we didn't really talk until last week when he asked me if i wanted to start hanging out again.

he said that he is no longer into politics. he is married now and with a kid on the way and with no other friends, wants someone to hang out with occasionally on the weekends.

Why does politics do this to people? how is it beneficial to people if it makes us more hateful and angry then we were originally?
What politics has a tendency to do, is get people following certain causes or situations, or the people involved in politics and what they do. That's why it's called politics. It's really sad that politics can divide people so badly. In a way it's good because when people learn about what goes on in their country/state/city or the world, they can disconnect from people who don't agree with them, to keep their own head straight I guess. However it's bad when people of various mindsets can't work together and some issues are more dividing than others, and some issues get more attention than others. The bottom line is that everybody thinks differently and there should be room for that in politics.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:

So he only wants to be your "friend" when he doesn't have anyone else to hang out with?

Proceed with caution. He is likely to turn on you again.

I wouldn't blame this on right-wing politics. An obsession with left-wing politics can have just as much of a negative impact on someone. But, really, it takes a certain type of person to let politics have that much of an impact on personal relationships - a type of person who I personally wouldn't want very much to do with.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Politics shouldn't matter in friendships at all.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Politics shouldn't matter in friendships at all.
Agreed. I have several close friends who have a different political outlook than me.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
If someone I know personally is a global warming denier, or they're not down 100% with Occupy, I tell them to shove off.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:

You didn't lose a friend over politics, you lost your friend because he heard Limbaugh and became a temporary idiot. It happens.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
If someone I know personally is a global warming denier, or they're not down 100% with Occupy, I tell them to shove off.
I see you're quite a tolerant liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies