Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You are discussing two different issues entirely. I don't think this is about "hating" federal workers. I think it's about trying to curb the power-trip that many TSA agents always seem to be on.

Anyone who has flown more than a few times since the TSA was established has encountered very arrogant TSA agents.
TSA agents are just doing their jobs. We've had no domestic airline incidents since they've been on the job.

Look, i know some assh*le cops too that are on a TOTAL power trip. Should we remove their badges too? How about the DEA that accosted me last month at DTW for absolutely NOTHING. I was trying to board my plane when they stopped me in the jetway and asked me some stupid ass questions. I didn't like it, so i want their badges taken too.

Blackburn needs to STHU and go pass the payroll tax cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
TSA agents are just doing their jobs. We've had no domestic airline incidents since they've been on the job.

Look, i know some assh*le cops too that are on a TOTAL power trip. Should we remove their badges too? How about the DEA that accosted me last month at DTW for absolutely NOTHING. I was trying to board my plane when they stopped me in the jetway and asked me some stupid ass questions. I didn't like it, so i want their badges taken too.

Blackburn needs to STHU and go pass the payroll tax cut.
So you equate the skills/qualifications of a TSA security agent with that of the police and DEA ?

I don't think the DEA hires GED folks with no skills.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Let's just leave things as they are: 85 year old women getting strip searched, toddlers getting patted down and Xrayed, breast milk getting "screened" for whatever the hell reason. Intrusive pat downs that were they done on the street would get you a charge of sexual assault. Horse crap, this gang of thugs has had carte blanche for too long. This is a good first step.
They're following procedures. They didn't write the procedures or the guidelines. Homeland Security did.

And even if you took the badges, they'd still follow those same procedures. You're pointing your finger at the wrong people.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you equate the skills/qualifications of a TSA security agent with that of the police and DEA ?

I don't think the DEA hires GED folks with no skills.
This is about these so called agents "being out of control" when they're just following procedures that they didn't write.

I just went through the airports in Phoenix and Detroit. I looked at the TSA screeners. I couldn't tell whether or not those people had GED's or had any other skills. It wasn't written on their foreheads.

But amazingly...you can tell. That's...well, like i said, pretty amazing. I wonder how you do that? Hmmmm...just by LOOKING at them. I'm astounded. I really am.

What does the "GED with no skills" look like? Help me spot them. Because quite frankly, this is miraculous. (or maybe it isn't)

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Just doing their jobs? Really?

What about all the weapons that they've missed while harassing people with purses that look like guns?

What about all the crimes the TSA agents have committed? There are frequent reports of them stealing passengers' property.

(I'll leave the inappropriate searches out of this discussion because, sadly, that does involve them "just doing their jobs." That's for a different thread.)

Quote:
Look, i know some assh*le cops too that are on a TOTAL power trip. Should we remove their badges too?
Real cops actually do have power. They've earned their badges and deserve respect. The TSA agents...not so much.

Are there bad cops? Of course. They need to be dealt with. But TSA agents are not "officers" of any kind.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:

Blackburn needs to **** and go pass the payroll tax cut.
How many attacks occured before the creation of the TSA ?
Maybe if the FAA hadn't prohibited pilots from arming themselves, the conditions for 9/11 may have never existed in the first place.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe if the FAA hadn't prohibited pilots from arming themselves, the conditions for 9/11 may have never existed in the first place.
That and expand the air marshal program. But the government will take any opportunity it can get to expand its power, expand its influence, justify more spending and keep money flowing to the people who fund the electorate's campaigns.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I can think of one.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Desertdetroiter, I'll offer a personal example. A few years ago I encountered a TSA agent who was threatening to "take the names" of anyone who had prohibited shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc.

Another example - another time, a TSA agent checking my driver's license saw that I had recently had a birthday. She proceeded to ask all kinds of questions about how my birthday was and birthdays in general (and, of course, made me feel like I had no choice but to answer). There was a long line and she was asking everyone in line personal questions creating delays for everyone.

Do you really think that giving a person (who is not an officer of any kind) a badge does anything to help stop this sort of thing?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just doing their jobs? Really?

What about all the weapons that they've missed while harassing people with purses that look like guns?

What about all the crimes the TSA agents have committed? There are frequent reports of them stealing passengers' property.

(I'll leave the inappropriate searches out of this discussion because, sadly, that does involve them "just doing their jobs." That's for a different thread.)

Real cops actually do have power. They've earned their badges and deserve respect. The TSA agents...not so much.

Are there bad cops? Of course. They need to be dealt with. But TSA agents are not "officers" of any kind.
Cops that harass people without cause are deserving of respect? Why? Because they went to police academy?

And "stealing property?" LOL...cops don't steal property? Sure they do. I'm sure i can find numerous stories. If i post a few, should we remove all of their badges?

I fly a lot. Never had anything stolen. I'd be more afraid of baggage handlers stealing property than TSA screeners. Not to say it doesn't happen, but i'm not blaming all of them for the actions of a few.

You guys are making a lot of assumptions here. Lots of generalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies