Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm not kiddo or darling and if I was poor I wouldn't buy candy. Instead I'd be buying things to stretch like tuna fish and hot dogs.

Of course WHEN I WAS A KID I ate candy, but what's your point? my parents gave me the money or I used money I got. However these people are ADULTS and adults should learn how to budget. The McDonald's near me is always hiring so I don't believe this story about how hard it is. Sorry, but part time at McDonald's is better than nothing. If a person still qualified for food stamps but is working then they can use their paycheck to buy them.

Why should I do something to stop poverty? Maybe people need to help themselves, such as going to college or trade school, and most importantly NO BABIES OUT OF WEDLOCK. Common sense prevents this. I was poor and I worked hard so I wouldn't always be poor.

When I was a kid on Long Island, I sold candy. I had a paper route and we had opportunities to win small prizes, some of which were boxes of candy bars (the sort sold to candy stores, like a box of 24 Hershey bars). The neighborhood candy store offered me a pittance - of course they were buying from their supplier at low wholesale prices - so I just sold the candy to classmates at an intermediate price (more than wholesale and less than retail).

I honestly don't know how fast food employers choose their hires, or what it takes to get hired at McDonald's. I had no difficulty getting hired as a burger flipper when I was 18, but when I tried McDonald's at 45, no luck at all getting hired.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
If they apply they can get hired.

You mean like the 938,000 people who applied at McDonald's in April 2011 and weren't hired?

McDonald's Turned Away More than 938,000 Applicants on "National Hiring Day"

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
There's always McDonalds. Otherwise if you can't find a job, the stamps should go towards things like healthy. Oh and if you can afford cable you can cut that and buy candy.

I once had food stamps while renting a room and paying 73 percent of my income on rent.

My staple food purchase was boxed macaroni and cheese because, well, it was cheap and filling.

Is that on your 'approved' of 'denied' food stamp list?

Oh. and the room was in a house where the owners rented out all the bedrooms in an ultimately failed effort to save the house from foreclosure (they slept on recliners in the living room). While the rent was astronomical, they had internet as well as satellite TV in every room. Cutting the satellite TV and the internet were NOT an option for me, so how did you expect me to cut them?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I once had food stamps while renting a room and paying 73 percent of my income on rent.

My staple food purchase was boxed macaroni and cheese because, well, it was cheap and filling.

Is that on your 'approved' of 'denied' food stamp list?

Oh. and the room was in a house where the owners rented out all the bedrooms in an ultimately failed effort to save the house from foreclosure (they slept on recliners in the living room). While the rent was astronomical, they had internet as well as satellite TV in every room. Cutting the satellite TV and the internet were NOT an option for me, so how did you expect me to cut them?
Mac n cheese is denied- thats a luxury people on cash cant get. You should have stuck with Ramen.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Mac n cheese is denied- thats a luxury people on cash cant get. You should have stuck with Ramen.

Thank you Suze.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
I'm retired now and have never been on FS. I have and do know people, who have and do get them. It's ridicules to have 25% of military families not paid well enough that they qualify for and receive food stamps.

At one time in our lives, my brother and I work together, to change and improve our poverty stricken situation. We got an apartment and found low paying jobs and worked to get a car ( paid $100.00 for it, looked like crap but it ran) that would allow us look for better jobs that we couldn't apply for using the bus system. We didn't have much money left for food so we decided we would have to eat the cheapest we could afford. Picked up a waffle iron at a garage sale and for 6 months we ate waffles. Waffles and nothing else. We were constantly hungry from malnutrition and at the same time getting fat as a pig.

I don't begrudge anyone FS or food who has need of it.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
They say that employers see the desperation in you so I'm pretty sure that if I tried to apply for McDonald's they would know that's the last place I'd want to work. Also even if I did get a job there, I'd be fired real quick. I can't think on my feet. I also get stomach discomfort from just walking in there. I'd imagine if I was in there regularly, I'd feel pretty queasy. I've got too good of a sniffer. It's better than Taco Bell though but still and the one location here is the worst. I don't know if it's changed since but the last time I went in there you could literally smell the bathrooms all over.

Anyways I'm not a big candy person but if I wanted to use any of my 20 dollars to buy candy I will.
You are making excuses. I hated McDonald's but guess what? when I was desperate I worked there. There are other fast food places.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
1) you shouldnt need FS if you work
I never said that as many working people need food stamps.

Quote:
2) if you get FS, only buy healthy, no candy, chips, pop- not even steak
I don't get why people are mad others don't want to pay for their candy. Food is a need, candy is not. Want candy? spend your own money. Why should people on taxpayer dime get luxuries that others can't afford?

Quote:
3) You should be required to work, even if you have kids and mcdonalds will take you if no one else will
So what if you have kids? can't support your kids? then don't have them. Why should I have to pay more in taxes? Fast food will work around schedules. When I was broke I worked fast food. I hated it but it paid my bills. People with kids work all the time.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
I never said that as many working people need food stamps.

I don't get why people are mad others don't want to pay for their candy. Food is a need, candy is not. Want candy? spend your own money. Why should people on taxpayer dime get luxuries that others can't afford?

So what if you have kids? can't support your kids? then don't have them. Why should I have to pay more in taxes? Fast food will work around schedules. When I was broke I worked fast food. I hated it but it paid my bills. People with kids work all the time.
ok. I was just summing up the thread, not looking for replies. Those points have already been made.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
This statement right here indicates just how out of touch you are. Yes fast food USED to work around your schedule. Now? Why should they? Theres 100 people wanting your job, and they don't have to work around their schedule. Welcome to 2014.

Oh and it paid your bills? Guess what? its 2014, it wont pay your bills like it used too. The country has changed in this way, and not for the better.

Cant support kids? Yes, everyone should have perfect vision of their future with no surprises, and they absolutely shouldn't hope that in America that they have any hope of the American dream, or suspect for an instant that someone willing to work hard....should no longer be able to find work or succeed.

And hey just because our birth rate has fallen below replacement levels, we should as a society ignore the effects that will have while simultaneously complaining about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies