Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Typical EBT benefit for a single person is around $250 a month and yes, prepared food is excluded unless you prove you're homeless as homeless don't have an option their preparing meals at home.
Im sorry yo say being homeless is no excuse. You dont NEED a hot chicken meal. You can get a can opener and have cold ravioli. This isnt coming from an uncaring place either, they need food like I do or you but they dont NEED hot food.

and dont claim they cant get a can opener- they stand there with their signs or ask around for money, you can get $1 and go to dollar tree and get a can opener.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:11 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe your issue should be with the megacorporations who pay so little that full time workers have to get welfare.
Why do people bring up corporations when talking about this issue, as if we support corporations? I don't, I think some corporations are corrupt and should pay their fair share.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
But again to you AND Idon'tdateyou, it doesnt work that way. They dont get significantly more because of more children.
They get more which is why they do it.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Typical EBT benefit for a single person is around $250 a month and yes, prepared food is excluded unless you prove you're homeless as homeless don't have an option their preparing meals at home.
Not true! At least here in Texas. Prepared meals, birthday cakes, etc ARE included.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm someone who pays taxes so some can sit on their lazy butt and not work. I have no issue with someone working a minimum wage job and still getting help. My issue is with those who get help and aren't working at all, especially if they are making excuses like the perfect job hasn't come around.
I have no problem with this either, but it seems like by helping the working poor who cannot afford to buy enough groceries, we are subsidizing corporations not to pay these people enough to feed themselves. I am not a fan of the minimum wage law, but see no other option than to force their hand if they won't ante up on their own and it looks as though they won't.

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 09-18-2014 at 05:49 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I have no problem with this either, but it seems like by helping the working poor who cannot afford to buy enough groceries, we a subsidizing corporations not to pay these people enough to feed themselves. I am not a fan of the minimum wage law, but see no other option than to force their hand if they won't ante up on their own and it looks as though they won't.
I agree. People don't make a living wage anymore, and with that guilt we hand out food stamps as the wrong way to address this problem. With a soon to be lost middle class, we better get use to it.

If we do away with tax loopholes for big business, I'll agree to get rid of food stamps. Every class in this country frauds the system, not just people who don't make a living wage. Theirs is just easier to get rid of.
This corruption goes all the way to the top and beyond. With a high paid fraud artist, your fraud makes a bigger dent to this country. It makes selling 50 dollars of food stamps for beer look ridiculous.

It's not as surprising that some poor sod on the bottom cheats for food stamps, the surprise is some corp entity who makes millions ranks the system. It doesn't matter how much you make. Why pick on just the poor people, there's plenty of blame to go around. This is America, cranking the system is part of your rights.

OP - Do you really expect our poor to have more morals than our leaders? Now, come on........

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
They do try though so that does help.
Yes, they do try but even the most giving, active churches can't cope with the need adequately which is why government programs are a necessity.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That should not be allowed. You're not supposed to get a hot prepared meal with food stamps. How does this help people? If you are desperate enough that you need help to feed yourself, you shouldn't be standing in line at Jack in the Box.

It is allowed for homeless people.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Im sorry yo say being homeless is no excuse. You dont NEED a hot chicken meal. You can get a can opener and have cold ravioli. This isnt coming from an uncaring place either, they need food like I do or you but they dont NEED hot food.

and dont claim they cant get a can opener- they stand there with their signs or ask around for money, you can get $1 and go to dollar tree and get a can opener.

Yes, it is coming from an uncaring place. Everyone deserves a hot meal.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
But then I won't have a job. Most of our customers are on food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies