Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,827,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
First of all 0% of births are being paid by medicare. I don't see any women 65 or older having children, so you are wrong on that statement.

Something tells me you are wrong on your thinking, by believing people should have things they can not afford.
No. They used the wrong word--it's MedicAID that pays for almost half of the births in this country.

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Something is very wrong here.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,013,715 times
From the news on the msm, the economy is booming!

Why not start the great entitlement rollback?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, there are a lot of grubbers in this thread, no pride in themselves and always trying to justify taking from others. Too damn weak (or lazy) to provide for yourself so you have to grub from others.

You have no idea who you are talking to here so I'd suggest keeping your mouth shut because you look like a fool right now.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think it's right between, "you must birth that fetus inside you even though you're 15 and poor" and "we don't have to pay for you or that baby to eat just because we forced you to have it."
Oh right. All of that is in the Book of the Self Righteous.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,827,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Here are a few facts to kick things off:

1. The majority of households that receive food stamps include at least one working adult.

2. The allotment for food stamps averages out nationally to be $1.41 per meal per person in the home.

3. Annually, the average American tax-paying family contributes $31 per year to food benefits for the less fortunate, but contributes $835 towards corporate subsidies.

4. By far the largest groups benefiting from having food stamps are: children, the elderly and the disabled.

The truly disabled who cannot work, fine.

But....

Those who have kids they cannot feed now--but keep on pumping them out--continue to qualify for larger allotments, correct?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,013,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think it's right between, "you must birth that fetus inside you even though you're 15 and poor" and "we don't have to pay for you or that baby to eat just because we forced you to have it."
Ask the 15 year old why they made the decision to engage in sexual activity without being mature enough to handle the outcome (except for rape).

Lefties ALWAYS say the same thing to we responsible people......2 choices for us, pay for the murder of the unborn child or assume the responsibility of paying for the child.

NEVER does the left place responsibility on the actual person who did the act.

"Do you want starving children!?".....NO. Ask their parents. I assumed full responsibility for taking care of my children.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The truly disabled who cannot work, fine.

But.....a problem with 4.

Those who have kids they cannot feed now--but keep on pumping them out--continue to qualify for larger allotments, correct?
It depends on quite a few factors besides how many children you have. Other factors taken into account are expenses, assets and income.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Ask the 15 year old why they made the decision to engage in sexual activity without being mature enough to handle the outcome (except for rape).

Lefties ALWAYS say the same thing to we responsible people......2 choices for us, pay for the murder of the unborn child or assume the responsibility of paying for the child.

NEVER does the left place responsibility on the actual person who did the act.

"Do you want starving children!?".....NO. Ask their parents. I assumed full responsibility for taking care of my children.
Since the person having the abortion, baby or giving it up for adoption is the one dealing with all of what each choice entails, I'd say their responsibility level is quite high.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,322,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
First of all 0% of births are being paid by medicare. I don't see any women 65 or older having children, so you are wrong on that statement.
Most likely that poster was referring to Medicaid and not Medicare. The two are often confused.

Quote:
Something tells me you are wrong on your thinking, by believing people should have things they can not afford.
If a working family cannot afford sufficient food (for whatever reason--say sudden job layoff, hours cut at work, the simple fact they haven't gotten a raise while costs for things like gas, food, and utilities have risen, perhaps they were injured or became ill, etc.) or if they cannot afford to pay a utility bill because, again, the costs of such things continues to rise, you believe they should just be left to not eat, or have running water, or warmth in the winter/relief from heat of summer?

Because that is essentially what you are saying.

You seem to be one of those people who feel simple necessities like food, water and shelter are not a basic human right in a society, but I suspect you may also be one of those who will whine and shriek all day about how other people are entitled to own and control the reigns of food, water, electrical power, land, etc. and profit massively from them.

As I have stated several times, many of the people I work with, as well as many of those my co-workers and colleagues see on a daily basis, are elderly and disabled. Often they have either worked hard their entire lives but have little retirement income...often it is a widow who unfortunately doesn't get enough of her husband's pension even though he worked his entire life. Other times, it is a person with mental, developmental or physical disabilities who literally cannot hold an income-producing job that will sustain them.

When you say: "Something tells me you are wrong on your thinking, by believing people should have things they can not afford," what you are saying is these people do not deserve the necessities of food and water.

Again I will state some facts:

1. The majority of people who benefit from food stamps are the elderly, the disabled, and the children of working adults.

2. The annual tax burden to the average American family for corporate welfare is roughly 30 times what it is for social programs such as SNAP (food stamps.)

3. Averaged nationally, the food stamp allotment for each recipient (individually or as part of a household receiving food benefits) comes to $1.41 per meal per person per day. This means each person receiving food stamps, if they have no other means of obtaining food, has only $4.23 per day with which to feed themselves. (Of course, the food stamp program is not meant to provide all food for an individual or family on a monthly basis. It is supposed to be a supplement.

4. While there ARE people who scam the system by being dishonest and requesting benefits when they are not eligible, every state has multiple methods of verifying income and other information. There is considerable oversight of recipients of programs such as SNAP.

5. Another thing many may not be aware of: there is a federal policy called ABAWD (Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents.) This policy was out of effect for about 6 years but it became active and enforceable again in November, 2013.

What the ABAWD policy states is, if a person is between the ages of 18 and 50, has no dependent children, and has not been declared disabled by the SSA or a medical professional, they can only receive food stamps for three months out of every three years unless they are working at least 30 hours per week, going to some form of school (college, vo-tech, etc.) full time, or are a caregiver to a child or disabled person.

The stereotype of people receiving food stamps being lazy, drug-abusing scammers who just refuse to work but sit back and get all kinds of government money and laugh at everyone else while they luxuriate in daily meals of steak and lobster is complete horse poop.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Most likely that poster was referring to Medicaid and not Medicare. The two are often confused.

If a working family cannot afford sufficient food (for whatever reason--say sudden job layoff, hours cut at work, the simple fact they haven't gotten a raise while costs for things like gas, food, and utilities have risen, perhaps they were injured or became ill, etc.) or if they cannot afford to pay a utility bill because, again, the costs of such things continues to rise, you believe they should just be left to not eat, or have running water, or warmth in the winter/relief from heat of summer?

Because that is essentially what you are saying.

You seem to be one of those people who feel simple necessities like food, water and shelter are not a basic human right in a society, but I suspect you may also be one of those who will whine and shriek all day about how other people are entitled to own and control the reigns of food, water, electrical power, land, etc. and profit massively from them.

As I have stated several times, many of the people I work with, as well as many of those my co-workers and colleagues see on a daily basis, are elderly and disabled. Often they have either worked hard their entire lives but have little retirement income...often it is a widow who unfortunately doesn't get enough of her husband's pension even though he worked his entire life. Other times, it is a person with mental, developmental or physical disabilities who literally cannot hold an income-producing job that will sustain them.

When you say: "Something tells me you are wrong on your thinking, by believing people should have things they can not afford," what you are saying is these people do not deserve the necessities of food and water.

Again I will state some facts:

1. The majority of people who benefit from food stamps are the elderly, the disabled, and the children of working adults.

2. The annual tax burden to the average American family for corporate welfare is roughly 30 times what it is for social programs such as SNAP (food stamps.)

3. Averaged nationally, the food stamp allotment for each recipient (individually or as part of a household receiving food benefits) comes to $1.41 per meal per person per day. This means each person receiving food stamps, if they have no other means of obtaining food, has only $4.23 per day with which to feed themselves. (Of course, the food stamp program is not meant to provide all food for an individual or family on a monthly basis. It is supposed to be a supplement.

4. While there ARE people who scam the system by being dishonest and requesting benefits when they are not eligible, every state has multiple methods of verifying income and other information. There is considerable oversight of recipients of programs such as SNAP.

5. Another thing many may not be aware of: there is a federal policy called ABAWD (Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents.) This policy was out of effect for about 6 years but it became active and enforceable again in November, 2013.

What the ABAWD policy states is, if a person is between the ages of 18 and 50, has no dependent children, and has not been declared disabled by the SSA or a medical professional, they can only receive food stamps for three months out of every three years unless they are working at least 30 hours per week, going to some form of school (college, vo-tech, etc.) full time, or are a caregiver to a child or disabled person.

The stereotype of people receiving food stamps being lazy, drug-abusing scammers who just refuse to work but sit back and get all kinds of government money and laugh at everyone else while they luxuriate in daily meals of steak and lobster is complete horse poop.
You are making a lot of assumptions without any knowledge of what I believe or do not. What I was responding to was about people having children when they can not afford them.

If someone is able to work, than they should be responsible to provide for themselves, not everyone else. Those who are not able to work, that is an entirely different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies