Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM

15,090 posts, read 8,634,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Have you?

No really. You're spouting off a common line of nonsense that indicates you havent actually read about rome, or the hundreds of different "causes" for the decline of Rome. Instead you read some article where a guy linked A to B, and pointed out the similarities. ohhhhh scary! Except.....it isn't. The decline of Rome is traced to a ton of different things, and theories abound.

Fall of Rome - Common Theories and Causes

Look #1 on the list...Christianity! OMG we are doomed.
The fall of Rome is not so much controversial as you suggest, among educated historians, anyways. Nor are the many other examples of "empires" throughout history. Greed and corruption are endemic to most of these fallen empires. Greed, insofar as expansion of the empire through conquest, until the empire grows beyond it's capacity to control, followed by the corruption of it's leaders who's self interests become more important than the empire itself.

Corruption and greed leads to lawlessness and gross injustice, which ultimately leads to revolution. Unfortunately, history also suggests that regimes coming into power via revolution are often as bad or worse than the regimes they replaced.

This is almost always the case, because power is sought by those are power hungry, and the old saying about how power corrupts has been proven beyond challenge.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There is a considerable amount of evidence that wages have stagnated over the past 3 decades. This isn't something poor people pulled out of the sky. Its a fact.
this still does not change what I said. Since someone can live on minimum wage than it should be considered a living wage, but because some people think they need more now, they feel it isn't a living wage.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The fall of Rome is not so much controversial as you suggest, among educated historians, anyways. Nor are the many other examples of "empires" throughout history. Greed and corruption are endemic to most of these fallen empires. Greed, insofar as expansion of the empire through conquest, until the empire grows beyond it's capacity to control, followed by the corruption of it's leaders who's self interests become more important than the empire itself.

Corruption and greed leads to lawlessness and gross injustice, which ultimately leads to revolution. Unfortunately, history also suggests that regimes coming into power via revolution are often as bad or worse than the regimes they replaced.

This is almost always the case, because power is sought by those are power hungry, and the old saying about how power corrupts has been proven beyond challenge.
Among "educated" historians? They can't even agree on the dates of when the fall started, or when it was officially complete. Theres massive debates about it. Ohhh right by "educated" you meant "people who agree with me, because all the others are wrong".

And then you go on to greed and corruption. Guess what? Thats true of every darn government in the world. The USA on a list of 177 countries is in the top 20 for LEAST amount of corruption.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
this still does not change what I said. Since someone can live on minimum wage than it should be considered a living wage, but because some people think they need more now, they feel it isn't a living wage.

Who can live on the minimum wage without help, today?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Who can live on the minimum wage without help, today?
I see people do it all the time. My nephew is doing it while putting himself through college. he just knows he doesn't need unnecessary things until he can afford them.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I was looking at old pictures from the 1940's the other day, and in one photo there was a store, and on the store window, painted adds ... one was for oranges ... 1 cent each. Just yesterday, I was in the grocery store and noticed oranges at .68 each! That's quite a difference. While not everything costs 68 times more today than in the 1940's, the oranges example illustrates a major point. Our money buys less because the value (purchasing power) of our money has lost 96% of it's value.

Now one can claim that wages were also much lower in the 1940's than they are today, and that is also very true ... but are the 68 times higher? Not even close. The average annual income in those days, according to the US Census, was $1400 per year, or about $27 per week. It's important to note that this figure is largely reflective of a one wage earner family, while today's "median income" of $51,000 per year, or $980 per week, is largely reflective of two wage earners. But even so, for the modern day orange lover, he's way behind his 1940 grand father whose single income could by 2700 oranges with his salary per week, while the two income family today could buy 1440.

Another important factor is that in the 1940's, most people paid cash for their homes, or financed very small amounts, compared to today when most homes are mortgaged to high heaven, and enormous sums of total interest paid exceed the original price of the house by a factor of 2 or more. Then there are many times greater levels of taxes and fees than back then, and the list goes on.

To illustrate even better, in 1930, just prior to FDR robbing the American people of their wealth through outlawing the ownership of gold, the $27 per week would have translated into one $20 gold piece, and 7 silver dollars which would equate in today's metal values, about $1500, which is significantly more than the $980 average family income of two wage earners.

Trouble is, we've been so brainwashed by propaganda and lies, we believe we are much better off financially today. The truth is, we have been slowly conditioned to believe that our financial slavery is prosperity, and that debt is a good thing.
Such a great post! There was a time in this country when people could raise their children, support their families on one income in a blue collar job or retail job. Its so sad and infuriating that people now think those workers don't deserve a livable wage. Its killing our country.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I see people do it all the time. My nephew is doing it while putting himself through college. he just knows he doesn't need unnecessary things until he can afford them.
I'm positive your nephew is getting help with school from his parents or the government. I'm also sure that your nephew either lives at home or with roommates. I'm also certain that your nephew only has to worry about himself.

You seem to forget that many people are trying to support families on the minimum wage. Even if your nephew is the Most Interesting College Student ever, most people can not survive on the minimum wage. And it isn't because they are buying things they don't need.

I really wish people like you would learn to look beyond their own sphere of experience.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I'm positive your nephew is getting help with school from his parents or the government. I'm also sure that your nephew either lives at home or with roommates. I'm also certain that your nephew only has to worry about himself.

You seem to forget that many people are trying to support families on the minimum wage. Even if your nephew is the Most Interesting College Student ever, most people can not survive on the minimum wage. And it isn't because they are buying things they don't need.

I really wish people like you would learn to look beyond their own sphere of experience.
No he is not getting any help from his parents or the government, no he does not live at home or with roommates. he lives in an apartment he pays for and the utilities he pays for, plus pays 100% of his schooling.

If someone is trying to support their family on a single minimum wage income, that is their own fault. They should improve their situation or at the bare minimum have 2 incomes coming in.

I see far more than my nephew surviving on minimum wage. Maybe you can't do it, but, maybe that is a reflection on yourself and not everyone else.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
No he is not getting any help from his parents or the government, no he does not live at home or with roommates. he lives in an apartment he pays for and the utilities he pays for, plus pays 100% of his schooling.
What kind of school does he go to and how many hours per week is he working?

Quote:
If someone is trying to support their family on a single minimum wage income, that is their own fault. They should improve their situation or at the bare minimum have 2 incomes coming in.
Ridiculous statement. We will always need blue collar and retail workers. Even families with two incomes are barely surviving. Stop drinking the Kool Aid.

Quote:
I see far more than my nephew surviving on minimum wage. Maybe you can't do it, but, maybe that is a reflection on yourself and not everyone else.
My husband and I live on much more than the minimum wage. This isn't about me. Nice try at a personal attack!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
What kind of school does he go to and how many hours per week is he working?

Ridiculous statement. We will always need blue collar and retail workers. Even families with two incomes are barely surviving. Stop drinking the Kool Aid.

My husband and I live on much more than the minimum wage. This isn't about me. Nice try at a personal attack!
It isn't a personal attack, but, if many people are living on minimum wage and surviving, than you claiming someone can't, it can only be what you believe, so if you believe you couldn't survive on minimum wage than it very well may be a reflection of yourself.

he goes to a community college and he is working 40 hours per week.

you do realize most blue collar jobs pay over minimum wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies