Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Our snow is all gone! It was almost 50 today (which is unreal) and pouring rain. It's been raining all week. We need the moisture, so I'm not complaining--October was very dry--but it doesn't feel like Christmas yet. Usually, by this time of year, we've had snow for up to two months.

Sorry I started the thread and left--we've had a challenging week. When it rains out here, the rural gravel roads turn to mush. I tell my boys to drive the long route and take the blacktop all the way, but they don't always listen. Earlier this week my 16 year old hit a soft spot in the gravel on the way to school and rolled his car with his 12 year old little brother in the passenger seat. Thank goodness they were both wearing their seat belts! The car landed on it's roof in a deep ditch, and they had to kick out the back window to crawl out, but they weren't hurt--just really shook up. I am generally calm and practical, but when I saw the car I fell apart. They are extremely lucky boys--God must have big plans for them, because it could have been very bad. I'm finally calming down.

Much to be thankful for this Christmas--my boys are the great loves of my life (DH is included in that mix too )
Glad to hear your boys escaped bad injury...even death, but for the Grace and Help of GOD.

Just had a thought flow in my mind, mb. Perhaps God had their Mama (you) in mind when he saw fit to save them from harm.

Just a thought.

Let's hope they learned much wisdom from their dangerous experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Glad to hear your boys escaped bad injury...even death, but for the Grace and Help of GOD.

Just had a thought flow in my mind, mb. Perhaps God had their Mama (you) in mind when he saw fit to save them from harm.

Just a thought.

Let's hope they learned much wisdom from their dangerous experience!
I hope they learned to listen to their mom! On the rest--I don't think I would have survived it if the worst had happened, but it didn't. He wasn't being careless--he was just an inexperienced driver with those road conditions. It's a hard way to learn, but it made a big impact (literally). The car is completely totaled. At the end of the day though, it's just a car. I'm just grateful they're ok.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:22 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,383 times
Quote:
I hope they learned to listen to their mom!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
I hope they learned to listen to their mom! On the rest--I don't think I would have survived it if the worst had happened, but it didn't. He wasn't being careless--he was just an inexperienced driver with those road conditions. It's a hard way to learn, but it made a big impact (literally). The car is completely totaled. At the end of the day though, it's just a car. I'm just grateful they're ok.
Thank you for your kind words, and right back at ya. Very happy that your boys are both doing well and were not hurt. Obviously someone was watching over them, so glad for you.

I have so much family who lives in the East, and they alwlays tell me driving in the freaking snow and sleek roads, are such a pain, and dangerous.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Thank you for your kind words, and right back at ya. Very happy that your boys are both doing well and were not hurt. Obviously someone was watching over them, so glad for you.

I have so much family who lives in the East, and they alwlays tell me driving in the freaking snow and sleek roads, are such a pain, and dangerous.
Hoping that you and yours are healing.
(((hugs)))

Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
In keeping with the Christmas spirit, I was very touched by this article and may end up doing the same.

Anonymous donors pay off Kmart layaway accounts | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Quote:
The young father stood in line at the Kmart layaway counter, wearing dirty clothes and worn-out boots. With him were three small children.

He asked to pay something on his bill because he knew he wouldn't be able to afford it all before Christmas. Then a mysterious woman stepped up to the counter.

"She told him, 'No, I'm paying for it,'" recalled Edna Deppe, assistant manager at the store in Indianapolis. "He just stood there and looked at her and then looked at me and asked if it was a joke. I told him it wasn't, and that she was going to pay for him. And he just busted out in tears."

At Kmart stores across the country, Santa seems to be getting some help: Anonymous donors are paying off strangers' layaway accounts, buying the Christmas gifts other families couldn't afford, especially toys and children's clothes set aside by impoverished parents.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
In light of what today is, thought this would be a good place to put this song.
Enjoy.

John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Still decorating our artificial tree, putting up the lights, and doing some half-hearted cleaning. I'm not going whole hog with Christmas decorating this year. I work in a school district, our Christmas vacation starts next Friday, and I won't be home for it. I plan to be packed and ready to leave Thursday after work to spend it at my daughter's. She and her DH just bought an awesome old farmhouse in the country with a big fireplace and an 8 foot Christmas tree. She's hosting Christmas dinner this year for her DH's family, and I promised to help her cook it. There's no snow predicted, and I'm disappointed in that. They have a fantastic hill for sledding and tobaggoning (yes, at my age!!!!!)

All kidding aside, we all realize how blessed we have been this year, especially that we are working, though it is definitely not one of our more economically prosperous years. My daughter and her husband really lucked out to be able to buy their dream house, get their mortgage approved, etc. (it was really hairy for a while), and we feel doubly blessed to be able to help them celebrate in it.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-16-2011 at 01:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Tonight, I have friends visiting from out of town.
We're going to a christmas market and tomorrow Prague for the weekend.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
In light of what today is, thought this would be a good place to put this song.
Enjoy.
John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - YouTube
Love that song, love John Lennon, and love that the war really IS over.

As for what I'm doing tonight, it's COLD outside (at least for us Californians) and tonight is my "Friday." So I'm not doing anything really, aside from running the heater on & off while I watch TV and *** on here. Exciting, huh? I do have some plans for the rest of my weekend, but right now it's lazy time! Also, I'm still recovering from our staff Holiday party at work - major sugar overload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies