Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
i THINK THAT WAS A GIFT!
Obama probably emailed Ahmadinejad the highly classified manuals and drawings so they could play with their new toy ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you want to maintain your current life-style and standard of living?

Because if you do (want to keep it), then you need to spend 40%.

If you are willing to give up your life-style and you can accept a lower standard of living, then please, by all means, cut the spending.

Your choice. Choose wisely.
Sure, but if I want a higher standard of living, we need to lower it from 40%.

Excellent point.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
here's a reality check for you PR. the govt WILL break its promises to you. that is absolutely guaranteed. whether it's social security, medicaid/care, or any of the welfare programs in countries overseas. it WILL happen in the US as well as every country in europe. we will get shafted.

what's the moral of the story? don't rely on govt programs for your healthcare, social security, energy, education, transportation, food, unemployment, security, bank deposits or pensions. just ask pensioners in greece, portugal, spain, italy, iceland and ireland. alternatively ask pensioners in the states who 5 years ago were paying $1,50 for gas. ask them if their ss doubled over that same period
Are you on drugs? That has nothing to do with what I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I'm not going to reveal what I do other than what I already provided. A public forum is no place to provide this kind of personal information.
That's a no. I guess that living in California and all the time you spend boating, camping, and fishing that you cannot bother to type 'yes' or 'no'.

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

You couldn't even figure out how much money it costs to fly a warhead from Yorktown Naval Weapons Station to Norfolk.

I know, because I used to do that.

No, please. Study the photos carefully. They have obviously been re-animated.

No, you should listen to FDR explain Social Security in one of his fireside chats.

It was never intended that anyone should be able to live off Social Security. It is an income supplement, and nothing more; a last ditch effort to keep you off of the streets in your old age.

So if all you can afford is an 8' x 10' carpeted room in Mrs. Wensleydale's boarding house, then Social Security is working exactly as it was intended to.

If you are willing to give up your life-style and you can accept a lower standard of living, then please, by all means, cut the spending.

Nice fail post. You stuffed more lies and make believe in here than I thought was possible.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Right, we'll just become isolationists and sit around our campfires singing kumbaya and the world will leave us alone...

isolation and non intervention are very different, but then we've gone over this on numerous ocassions.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:

i don't want to maintain a std of living by stealing it from someone else. and besides, although we have loads of stuff, i don't think our std of living is all that. imo, it could be a lot better even if we had to compete for the worlds resources. don't get me wrong, i'm not a crazed environmentalist, but we are a wasteful lot who should make much better use of our resources

Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I object to the the federal government continuing to **** away our money on failed policies, to try an bring democracy to countries that hate us. When the money could instead be used to provide free higher education for all Americans, free healthcare for all Americans, used to balance the budget, and still have enough left over to fund most all other services of government.

That's what I object to.
Or we could pay down this debt that has every citizen owing 48,000 to the gov't and climbing. We could start by closing Gitmo.

In recent weeks, Congress has reignited an old debate, with some arguing that only military justice is appropriate for terrorist suspects. But military tribunals have proved excruciatingly slow and imprisonment at Guantánamo hugely costly — $800,000 per inmate a year, compared with $25,000 in federal prison.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/us...l-prisons.html

Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Sure, but if I want a higher standard of living, we need to lower it from 40%.
Not gonna happen. Can't have it both ways. When Bush said it was about defending your "way of life" he meant that literally, as in your standard of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Nice fail post. You stuffed more lies and make believe in here than I thought was possible.
And your evidence is what?

You've never even seen a nuclear weapon. You wouldn't even know what one looked like, much less how much it costs to maintain, store, secure or transport, or dismantle (and the pits are stored but you probably don't get it).

Like you even understand what NVCD is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i don't want to maintain a std of living by stealing it from someone else.
But that is exactly what you have been doing for the last 100+ years.

US oil companies were getting 92% of the oil profits from Mexico. They were supposed to give Mexico 8%, but they devalued their assets to avoid paying it, plus reduce their corporate tax liability, and they didn't even pay corporate taxes.

When the Mexican Supreme Court orders the US oil companies to pay the back taxes owed, they refuse. Why would they do that? Because the US has a very long history of murdering heads-of-State that attempt to tax US corporation, or overthrowing the government.

Except WW II was coming. President Cardenas seized all US oil assets in 1939. That's why Mexico's oil is nationalized. Cardenas offered the US $24 Million in compensation -- the exact book value as stated by the US oil companies, but the US considered that an insult and wouldn't accept it at first (but ultimately they did).

Wash, Rinse and Repeat for 40+ other countries...same story.

President Schemarke of Somalia was willing to sign an oil deal for 50-50. You wanted 92-8 (the standard bill of fare). So you murdered him in cold blood. Shot him down like a dog. Then you installed Mohammed Barre as puppet dictator and what did he do? He swindled your oil companies. That was a conglomerate of Texaco, Conoco, Standard Oil (of Ohio not New Jersey) and Philips (if I remember right). Then Barre gets bounced, and Mohammed Adid takes over. You send in the Rangers and Special Ops to handle a job for the big boys, and they get trounced, so you leave with your tail tucked between your legs. And the country is still a mess.

Obama just overthrew the Honduran government 2 years ago. And for what? Attempting to tax US companies and institute land reforms. That was the 14th time in 103 years you've overthrown an Honduran government. You've been in Honduras for 150 years and is the country any better off before you arrived? No. There's still areas that don't have water, sewage, roads or electricity. How sad is that?

On the HDI, Vietnam is 116 and Honduras 121. How sad is that? Vietnam had the crap bombed out of it for 15 years until 1975, and then the US levied trade sanctions and embargoes against Vietnam for 20 years and in spite of all that, Vietnam manages to catch and surpass Honduras in standard of living and quality of life. Again, is that just the saddest thing you ever heard?

After 150 years of US involvement, Honduras should be in the 50s on the HDI with Cuba.

Castro is another. You export all the wealth and profits from Cuba, and then when Castro tries to tax US corporations, he's a "commie" and you waste $Billions trying to murder him or overthrow his government.

Same story with Iraq. You murdered Faisal for the oil profits, then you murdered Qasim (who replaced him) because he was too damn stupid to figure out why you murdered Faisal, and then the Baathist Party comes to power and then Saddam Hussein does.

Same story in Iran. You tried to murder Prime Minister Massadeq three times and failed. So you tried him in a kangaroo court for "treason." How about that. Massadeq is a "traitor" because he tries to stop the US and UK from stealing all the resources, wealth and profits from Iran.

Same story in Argentina. You murdered Allende because he told US corporations to pay their taxes or have their assets seized.

That's one of the reasons you're in the economic morass that you're in.

You've reached a tipping point. You can't steal from anyone any more because BRIC is stomping you into the ground developing countries.

And it isn't that BRIC is developing countries, it's that BRIC shares profits fairly 60-40 or 50-50, plus re-invests $Millions into those countries to build roads, provide water, sewage and electricity.

And that is what is creating the emerging markets that are causing your jobs to disappear.

And I won't even get into currency.

The US Dollar was the international reserve currency and the international currency of trade.

Not any more. You have competition from the Euro, Ruble and others.

Just wait about 30 years. When Middle East oil production (sold in US Dollars) declines from 65 Million barrels per day to 42 Million barrels and Central Asian oil production (sold in Euros and Rubles) increases to 42 Million barrels per day, you will be in a world of hurt.

You'll be begging for 9% unemployment, because that will be a lot better than 15%-20%.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Or we could pay down this debt that has every citizen owing 48,000 to the gov't and climbing.
Um, thats what I was trying to say "used to balance the budget".

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

I'll show you if you show me.

Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution specifically grants Congress the power to develop a military.

Your turn - show me where the Constitution authorizes the federal government to provide citizens with an income, education, health insurance or a house.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I had an epiphany the last time I went to Europe, I realized that Europe practically owns the world including America and turns a blind eye to the Americans when they start invading Middle Eastern countries, because if American businesses benefit, so would European businesses.

America is like Europe except that it is a way more militaristic society, something Europeans wouldn't accept happening to their society after what they've been through in WWI/WWII. So America basically acts as the guard dog for European business interests around the world including the Middle East, but the ruling powers would rather you believe that its all America's decisions.

Also had another epiphany that Europe is using America to bomb the middle east to also deflect dissent and anger from the muslim populations in Europe away from the Europeans due to lower wages, lack of opportunities compared to white Europeans. If America is bombing the Middle East, then the muslims in Europe will vent their anger toward America instead of Europe.
You must be pretty young. The last time I had an epiphany about things that are totally obvious to grown adults was when I was about 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies