Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Um, thats what I was trying to say "used to balance the budget".
Budget, what budget? We haven't had one for 3 years. The latest CR, continuing resolution, is coming due. Nobody is talking about it. I suppose they will start crying about the sky falling any day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And your evidence is what?

You've never even seen a nuclear weapon. You wouldn't even know what one looked like, much less how much it costs to maintain, store, secure or transport, or dismantle (and the pits are stored but you probably don't get it).

Like you even understand what NVCD is.
No need for trolling just because you're mad.

You just went off on a rant that contained things that had no consequence to this thread.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
America is like Europe except that it is a way more militaristic society, something Europeans wouldn't accept happening to their society after what they've been through in WWI/WWII.
You mean like all those uzi's one sees the "Eurocops" touting while working through one's Eurorail pass?

Yeah, you'd THINK they'd be over it by now.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Catholic education? While they might be able to do it cheaper the cost is subsidized by the church and they are not required to accept every student(special needs) so it's not an accurate measurement of how much cheaper.
No, no, no....what you are missing is that they do it cheaper b/c there are no unions involved.

When the right to a "free education" is subsidized by tax payers, and at the school board of edumacation's whim, which translates, for people who fund public schools through their property taxes, into higher taxes every year, it's a closer to accurate measure than it isn't.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Not gonna happen. Can't have it both ways. When Bush said it was about defending your "way of life" he meant that literally, as in your standard of living.
Yeah, there's someone who knew what he was doing...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Budget, what budget? We haven't had one for 3 years. The latest CR, continuing resolution, is coming due. Nobody is talking about it. I suppose they will start crying about the sky falling any day now.
Jezz, I was trying to agree with you. Are you trying to start an argument over nothing? I concede that your wording was better then mine. Let me rephrase my original statement just for you.

I object to the the federal government continuing to **** away our money on failed policies, to try an bring democracy to countries that hate us. When the money could instead be used to provide free higher education for all Americans, free healthcare for all Americans, pay off the national debt, and still have enough left over to fund most all other services of government.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Jezz, I was trying to agree with you. Are you trying to start an argument over nothing? I concede that your wording was better then mine. Let me rephrase my original statement just for you.

I object to the the federal government continuing to **** away our money on failed policies, to try an bring democracy to countries that hate us. When the money could instead be used to provide free higher education for all Americans, free healthcare for all Americans, pay off the national debt, and still have enough left over to fund most all other services of government.
We can agree on using the money for the debt, we have to address it now and stop the spending! Stopping the spending includes your freebies.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Quote:
Just as a point of information:

The military budget is 4,7 % of GDP. Healthcare is 18 %.

The average western country spends 2 % of their military and 9 % on their all-inclusive health care. If health care got sorted, the potential savings is on the order of twice the military budget every year.

Last edited by Grim Reader; 12-13-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We can agree on using the money for the debt, we have to address it now and stop the spending! Stopping the spending includes your freebies.
Yeah! Stupid retirees, get a job!

How about stop all wars, bring back troops from every country, and slash the defense budget by 70%? There is the answer and it ends wasteful spending.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'll show you if you show me.

Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution specifically grants Congress the power to develop a military.

Your turn - show me where the Constitution authorizes the federal government to provide citizens with an income, education, health insurance or a house.
Show me where in the Constitution the federal government is prohibited from providing citizens with an income, education, health insurance or a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies