Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Republican Senator Craig really gay?
Craig is as gay as the day is long 36 69.23%
No, Republicans can't be gay 5 9.62%
Actually, Craig is really a liberal, not a republican 6 11.54%
Who is Senator Craig? 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
certain aspects to sex go unspoken... citigirl speaks of teaching kids about homosexuality.. and I agree that young kids should not be bombarded with such issues, BUT I am 26 years old and Not too long ago I was a gay high school student, and I had nobody to talk to about the issue of being gay..many questions I had went unspoken and honestly I felt alienated in being able to talk about the issue with anyone. but there were plenty of discussions about safe sex, pregnancy.. using condoms.. and all the like. I guess what I'm saying is, you can educate young people about WHAT something is without forcing it upon them.. and leave it up to the parents to follow up with whatever moral lessons they want their kids to know about the topic.. Public Education constantly is under pressure to make sure and teach kids this.. and that and everything else under the sun...and really.. without parent involvement, its easy to say... these people are teaching my kids nonsense... but the purpose in doing so was out of good nature in extending a hand to teens who don't have a good family life and resources to talk about these issues with. I had a wonderful family, but because of their beliefs they were not a place at the time I felt I could go to to talk about things with.. does that make sense? That is why every class that talks about any sex issues allows for parents to opt for their children to not participate. They do not and should not teach kids to engage in anything.. rather teach them what is out there in the Public and what it is(after all it is a public school) and the parents can do the rest. and should do the rest.
When I was your age and younger I was Idealistic too. We all are to a point. It is with age that we see how it really works. I knew you were just a kid by your posts. You might be of age but you are just a kid. I have a son your age BTW. As you will realize with age your opinions change. What you feel is in your today might not be in your heart 20 something years from now. I look back sometimes and think what the hell was I thinking. You will too. I feel sad for you being gay. It is not of the American Dream. Which puts you in an adverse place. Lets say that you decide that it was a phase and you are not really gay what then. You are so young you have no idea what life is really about and that is because you do not have the age behind you.
Idealism is so youthful and spirited. It isn't that older folks don't have ideals because they do and some achieve their dreams when they become older adults. Because their kids are grown or they now have the means or whatever.
But there is a thread in this society that demands social acceptance and being gay or lesbian is not it.
Now to address being gay in HS you had a counselor assigned to you. At any time you could have gone to that person. They have to help kids that is their job.
Ok you were raised Catholic what about your pastor?
I believe there are free counseling places for people.
I don't know what to say to you.
We all have a sad story. I was a single mother Boo hoo boo hoo I worked two jobs to stay off welfare. I mean seriously.
I grew up on welfare. My dad died when I was a kid. Boo hoo boo hoo. You don't blame people for your life you just make it better. I have been blessed my kids do not even know what it is like to be on welfare. But I have taught them compassion for others who have less than them. Because in life there will always be someone who has more and someone who has less in everything. I don't care what the topic is either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,621 times
Craig doesn't self-identify as gay, though he may be a practicing bisexual. "Gay" is a lifestyle and identity category, not necessarily a description of one's sexual practices. "Homosexual" and "heterosexual" and "bisexual" refer to practice.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
being gay has nothing to do with kids...
I feel bad for this man's family though as well as his friends, being disgraced this bad is not something I would wish on anyone, But with that said, he can only blame himself he was in control of it all along...
I live downtown boise, and I have many gay friends here and there have been rumors for years of the senator (when he's in town) cruising the park behind my house, as well as many other public places.
its creepy... and I really do think he is alteast bisexual, if not gay...
its sad that our society cannot get past a sexuality issue to where someone can openly and honestly be who they are without fearing backlash.
if he is gay, he must have somewhere in some sick wrong way, thought that fullfilling these desires in a public restroom was a viable option. Our society is not awful because we are becoming more liberal it is awful because we sweep issues and people under rugs, in in turn they try to sweep those personal issues under rugs only to come out in a sick and unhealthy way..
a person can only bottle up so much before it blows...
I guess if we stop making sex such an awful unspoken "sin" people come out of the bathroom and ingage in healthy sexual relations...gay or straight...
I am oh so curious why you thought I was a man......

Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
When I was your age and younger I was Idealistic too. We all are to a point. It is with age that we see how it really works. I knew you were just a kid by your posts. You might be of age but you are just a kid. I have a son your age BTW. As you will realize with age your opinions change. What you feel is in your today might not be in your heart 20 something years from now. I look back sometimes and think what the hell was I thinking. You will too. I feel sad for you being gay. It is not of the American Dream. Which puts you in an adverse place. Lets say that you decide that it was a phase and you are not really gay what then. You are so young you have no idea what life is really about and that is because you do not have the age behind you.
Idealism is so youthful and spirited. It isn't that older folks don't have ideals because they do and some achieve their dreams when they become older adults. Because their kids are grown or they now have the means or whatever.
But there is a thread in this society that demands social acceptance and being gay or lesbian is not it.
Now to address being gay in HS you had a counselor assigned to you. At any time you could have gone to that person. They have to help kids that is their job.
Ok you were raised Catholic what about your pastor?
I believe there are free counseling places for people.
I don't know what to say to you.
We all have a sad story. I was a single mother Boo hoo boo hoo I worked two jobs to stay off welfare. I mean seriously.
I grew up on welfare. My dad died when I was a kid. Boo hoo boo hoo. You don't blame people for your life you just make it better. I have been blessed my kids do not even know what it is like to be on welfare. But I have taught them compassion for others who have less than them. Because in life there will always be someone who has more and someone who has less in everything. I don't care what the topic is either.

being young has nothing to do with it and being idealistic.. in fact when I was idealistic I rather had many of your views.. it was a long process of learning that some things everyone says is right.. is not always right
I've lived in 3 different countries, in fact I was educated overseas. You know nothing of who I am. Discrediting me because of my age is a bit below the belt. Sweetheart I am well past any "phases" I've had a partner of 4 years while living overseas and I am currently married in every sense of the word just not legally with the same man now for over 2. Don't talk down to me and don't claim you have any more wisdom than I on issues surrounding LOGIC..
The real problem with social issues and acceptence is NOT us idealistic lost young people, but rather old set in their ways generations who continue to keep the nation at a stand still. The babyboomer Generation unfortunately is so populous that it is an uphill battle until you all start dying off.. (forgive me for being crude)
You're right I did assume you were a man, because I've heard this all before and it usually comes from Men...women tend to be more kind hearted and actually see struggles and have more pity and understanding than you have shown.. You've just thrown random facts from here and there in attempt to shut any opposition down...
you go ahead with your all knowing wisdom.. and I'll stick to what I have learned for myself.. we all are on different journey's in this life.. and to say everyone should listen to what you would do.. is not always the right thing for them... nor is it the best way to go about doing things either..
Good Luck to you...

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
There policy should be to OPT IN not OPT OUT. It was changed to opt in because they knew that most parents would not be notified.

I have experience in Public Education Citigirl, and I agree with you, But here's the problem, they have set guidlines to follow, so that EVERYONE when graduating from the system has been exposed to all area's of education so that they have the tools to succeed and be knowledgable out in society. Pressures of such trickle down from legislation. The Problem is Parents are much more on the complaining side than the helping side. They want to go off and chase dollar signs while their kids are at home playing video games, then they come to the System and say... Why is my kid acting this way.. or doing this.. you guys should be teaching him about these things..
Now I'm not saying you are one of those people, but that is ONE example of lack of parent involvement.. Some Kids come from single parent homes you name it. Basically out of this MASS lack of involvement... the system has been asked to step in and pick up the slack.. to ensure kids know of these issues.. for their own sakes. Lots of parents let their high schoolers live much like little adults in their own house, and turn them loose on the world thinking.. I pay taxes.. its their job to teach my kids.. Educators are there to teach your kids yes.. history, math.. sciences.. etc.. talking about sex is raising your kids.. and the state should not be raising anyone's kids.. or be a babysitter. I would challenge you to sit in on some parent teacher conferences and you would be appauled at what expectations parents have for our educators...this is why what you dislike has been implimented..and you're right.. its wrong... I would agree with u there..
it really is catch 22 for our public schools.. they have to enact programs and discussions to fill a quota that should be filled at home .. but for a lot it is not.. then they turn around and the parents who actually ARE actively involved and see the wrong in it.. become outraged just as you are...what is to be done?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
being young has nothing to do with it and being idealistic.. in fact when I was idealistic I rather had many of your views.. it was a long process of learning that some things everyone says is right.. is not always right
I've lived in 3 different countries, in fact I was educated overseas. You know nothing of who I am. Discrediting me because of my age is a bit below the belt. Sweetheart I am well past any "phases" I've had a partner of 4 years while living overseas and I am currently married in every sense of the word just not legally with the same man now for over 2. Don't talk down to me and don't claim you have any more wisdom than I on issues surrounding LOGIC..
The real problem with social issues and acceptence is NOT us idealistic lost young people, but rather old set in their ways generations who continue to keep the nation at a stand still. The babyboomer Generation unfortunately is so populous that it is an uphill battle until you all start dying off.. (forgive me for being crude)
You're right I did assume you were a man, because I've heard this all before and it usually comes from Men...women tend to be more kind hearted and actually see struggles and have more pity and understanding than you have shown.. You've just thrown random facts from here and there in attempt to shut any opposition down...
you go ahead with your all knowing wisdom.. and I'll stick to what I have learned for myself.. we all are on different journey's in this life.. and to say everyone should listen to what you would do.. is not always the right thing for them... nor is it the best way to go about doing things either..
Good Luck to you...
First of all Do Not address me as sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is condescending and rude... as you mean it to be.This is a quote from you " I do agree that babyboomers are a bridging generation of the old to the new. "

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 AM

calling someone young and unexperienced to discredit them is also condesending and rude...

And thankyou for quoting me.. i do believe that... they are bridging things because it is a very divided generation.. some are still in touch with what is old and some are in touch with new ideals...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 AM

76 posts, read 209,156 times
Default Homosexual vs. gay

Craig engages in homosexual acts. He is not gay. Gay refers to people who are proud of who they are and who see themselves as proud inheritors of a rich tradition of political leaders, writers, military heros, artists.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,159 times
Milborn, calling boiseguy's ideas idealistic in vain effort to discredit them is not only condescending to boiseguy, but to every young person on this forum and at large. Do my opinions not count until I am fourty? And don't be so offended that he calls you sweetie, you put him in a corner.
mrrumples, I don't care what euphamism the Senator calls himself by. He did something that he should be embarassed of. Writers, military heroes, artists are fine with the appelation "gay", so I suppose Senator Craig follows instead in the "homosexual engagers" category of Priests and Boy Scout leaders.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Yes he's gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies