Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I agree.

Palestinians are Arabs indigenous to a territory of "Palestine" that dates back to Biblical times. That is what separates them from other Arabs. It is also where Palestine, IL (incorporated as a village in 1811, but the name for the region in eastern Illinois apparently dates back to 1678) and Palestine, TX (incorporated 1846) get their names from... the land of milk and honey, not necessarily anything to do with the British.
That is kind of what I said, although you go back further, which is fine and accurate for the most part.

I did not ask what seperates them from other Arabs (geography, nothing else). I pointed out that Jordan is 60% Palestinian, which makes me wonder how the other 40% of Jordan differs. If you can answer that, I will be thankfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Why do you think you see so many of us liberals smiling?
...because you know 0bama will push our national debt to $25 trillion, and you love, love, love his crony corporate capitalism?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is kind of what I said, although you go back further, which is fine and accurate for the most part.

I did not ask what seperates them from other Arabs (geography, nothing else). I pointed out that Jordan is 60% Palestinian, which makes me wonder how the other 40% of Jordan differs. If you can answer that, I will be thankfull.
"Jordan" defines a political boundary as outlined by who else but the British, clearly in modern day terms, where Palestinians living inside that territory still identify self as Palestinians, perhaps culturally. The question should be... what is the other 40%? In Biblical terms, I don't think "Jordan" was anything more than the river.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Leftist sympathy for a group of religious fanatic nationalists never ceases to amaze me. The Palestinians have repeatedly elected lunatics who would be right at home in the KKK or Hitler's Germany. Were they running in the US they would receive just as much contempt as David Duke. But they're Muslims so hey let's give them a pass on their sexism, anti-Semitism and nationalism.

They? Fatah, who we support, or Hamas, who we oppose?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
"Jordan" defines a political boundary as outlined by who else but the British, clearly in modern day terms, where Palestinians living inside that territory still identify self as Palestinians, perhaps culturally. The question should be... what is the other 40%?
That is what I am asking you, and anybody else. I do not know.

I already pointed out Jordan's British midwifing, but thanks for backing me up.

Can anybody answer EG's and my question?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
That is a pretty naive comment.

Iraqis are both Arab and Kurdish. Kurds are not Arabs last time I looked. The British simply drew the lines.

Likewise, Jordan is a British creation. Jordan is something like 60% Palestinian although how they differ from the other 40% is something nobody seems able to answer.

Syria is a French creation. The Arabs of these 3 countries are ethnically the same. There are only tribal and religous differences.

These countries are Imperial creations. They did not come about organically. Saudi Arabia is one that did.
None of the above has absolutely noithing to do with Gingrish idiocy. Do you not realize that following his logic, the Israelis are invented people too? And so are Americans.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
None of the above has absolutely noithing to do with Gingrish idiocy. Do you not realize that following his logic, the Israelis are invented people too? And so are Americans.
I know that. I am not defending his comments. I was simply disecting them and now I am just tallking about the Arabs and Geography.

In a way, the Israelis are invented. Their nation was created by the big powers and a good chunk of the people came from somewhere else.

Why do you care? Gingrich is not going to be President.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
That is what I am asking you, and anybody else. I do not know.

I already pointed out Jordan's British midwifing, but thanks for backing me up.

Can anybody answer EG's and my question?
The answer is simple, actually... they are Arabs and non-Arabs from neighboring areas. In other words, Jordan was established on top of what was Palestinian territory.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The answer is simple, actually... they are Arabs and non-Arabs from neighboring areas. In other words, Jordan was established on top of what was Palestinian territory.
But Jordan is nealry 100% Arab. Its is an Arab country.

According to wiki:

"Jordan's Arab population mainly consists of Jordanians, Palestinians and Iraqis. In addition, there are sizable immigrant communities from Egypt, Syria and Lebanon residing in Jordan. Of the non-Arab population which comprises 2% to 5% of Jordan's population, most are Circassians, Chechens, Armenians, Turkmans, and Romanis, all of which have maintained separate ethnic identities, but have integrated into mainstream Jordanian culture."

So only 2% to 5% are non-Arab.

Hey, if you do not know, why not just admit it? I did. Better than letting your imagination run wild.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pffffft...most Americans don't know that Austrian isn't a language. Moreover, a hell of a lot of Americans think Iranians are Arabs. In fact, most do.
I think that a lot more Americans know about the Austrian language than did before our glorious leader made that flub. Did he really say that or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies