Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,976,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yes and I have grandchildren too...

One thing I have discussed at length with them is not to blindly accept "the facts" just because there is a majority of "experts" who say they agree with those facts...

How many times in human history has the majority of "experts" been proven wrong?

~ Too many times ~
I have always taught my daughter to question everything, never accept anything blindly because some expert states it as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
The other example I used, Al Gores movie...

Someone tell me how a grade school child felt after witnessing "the facts" presented in the movie by a former Vice President of the United States showing polar bears dying because of global warming...

Gore says a scientific study shows that polar bears are being killed swimming long distances to find ice that has melted away because of global warming.
I suppose very much the same way people felt after reading Rachel Carson's "A Silent Spring."

Are you suggesting that Mr. Gore was lying about the polar bears? Or would you simply prefer that children not learn about anything approaching reality?

Polar Bears Are Turning To Cannibalism As Arctic Ice Disappears | ThinkProgress

What exactly is it that people are afraid of, I wonder?
Is it simple protectionism?
Are people afraid that kids will start asking questions about why things are the way they are?
Does it occur that perhaps one of these children could be the Steve Jobs of climate science if given a proper chance to learn to think critically?

Or is it that they simply chose to believe that Big Oil and Gas have our best interests at heart?

Koch Political Group Brags About Bullying GOP Lawmakers Into Denying Climate Science | ThinkProgress

Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
WTF does this rant have to do with children in school being indoctrinated?

Take your soapbox somewhere else......
It has everything to do with the topic...You are teaching your children to disregard the truth and science in favor of a political agenda...You don't seem to like the truth much yourself do you? Like it or not, believe it or not the evidence is in...Your world is warming up.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,186,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Good for you, I hope your sons, if deployed, get to come home soon.
Wife of a Marine here.
Glad that you are educating the offspring, so many folks never bother.
Serious reply.
TY, although we might disagree on some issues we are both in agreement that too many parents leave their child's education to someone else...

Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I didn't know dreaming or striving to make the world a better place was such a horrible thing.
Nothing wrong with that, it's when impressionable children are shown lies and untruths that I have a problem...

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well done

Surely at the very least, your sons are aware that the U.S. military, including their branch, has declared climate change a national security threat.
Were they all paid off by Al Gore?

Navy: Global Warming Is Real And Poses Threat To National Security | ThinkProgress
Are they aware? (and neither of us has seen any polls on the issue) only an extremely small minority within the military would know whether or not the Joint Chiefs of Staff have declared global warming a national security threat....

In fact I'll bet the same thing concerning whether the American public know....

Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,496 times
Quote:
Check out what the American Geophysical Union endorses as science for kids.

Big Kid Science

If the GW crowd can't win people with BS they'll do it to our children....
By GW crowd, you mean those pesky scientists who went to college and got advanced degrees while you didn't?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
How are our children supposed to compete when their parents refuse to allow them to learn basic scientific fact as is taught in every other first-world country?
Too bad global warming is NOT a proven scientific fact...

Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Mr. Gore was lying about the polar bears? Or would you simply prefer that children not learn about anything approaching reality?
Yes it was a flat out lie....

Quote:
Gore says a scientific study shows that polar bears are being killed swimming long distances to find ice that has melted away because of “global warming.” They are not. The study, by Monnett & Gleason (2005), mentioned just four dead bears. They had died in an exceptional storm, with high winds and waves in the Beaufort Sea. The amount of sea ice in the Beaufort Sea has grown over the past 30 years. A report for the World Wide Fund for Nature shows that polar bears, which are warm-blooded, have grown in numbers where temperature has increased, and have become fewer where temperature has fallen. Polar bears evolved from brown bears 200,000 years ago, and survived the last interglacial period, when global temperature was 5 degrees Celsius warmer than the present and there was probably no Arctic ice-cap at all. The real threat to polar bears is not “global warming” but hunting. In 1940, there were just 5,000 polar bears worldwide. Now that hunting is controlled, there are 25,000.

Ms. Kreider says sea-ice “was the lowest ever measured for minimum extent in 2007.” She does not say that the measurements, which are done by satellite, go back only 29 years. She does not say that the North-West Passage, a good proxy for Arctic sea-ice extent, was open to shipping in 1945, or that Amundsen passed through in a sailing vessel in 1903.
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/mo...oreerrors.html

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It has everything to do with the topic...You are teaching your children to disregard the truth and science in favor of a political agenda...You don't seem to like the truth much yourself do you? Like it or not, believe it or not the evidence is in...Your world is warming up.
The only "truth" to global warming is it's based on lies, untruths and disregard for scientific and archeological evidence....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies