Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

Well, it's the lesser of two evils. I don't know of any Democrat that says they are going to be tough on the border, however, there are some hawks on the Republican side (Tancredo, etc) that will. So, I'd have to go with Republican (even though these guys WILL NOT be voted into office--it's too late).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Despite the rhetoric in the debate that suggests otherwise, many on both sides (if not most) completely support stronger border security, but I don’t believe it will ever be enough or that we will have this magical wall that some think can be built. The problem with this is that it is a distraction from the real issue – the core of this – going after companies that hire illegals. You have to follow the money as usual – this issue is no different. That doesn’t negate the need for stronger borders, but no border will negate the flow created by companies who hire them. Stop the flow, but cutting off the source. The source isn’t the Mexicans, the source is the employers.

What concerns me the most though is the continued lack of port and plant security.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Despite the rhetoric in the debate that suggests otherwise, many on both sides (if not most) completely support stronger border security, but I don’t believe it will ever be enough or that we will have this magical wall that some think can be built. The problem with this is that it is a distraction from the real issue – the core of this – going after companies that hire illegals. You have to follow the money as usual – this issue is no different. That doesn’t negate the need for stronger borders, but no border will negate the flow created by companies who hire them. Stop the flow, but cutting off the source. The source isn’t the Mexicans, the source is the employers.
This sounds suspiciously like Just Say No (to Hiring Illegals).

And we all know how well that has worked with drugs.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
This sounds suspiciously like Just Say No (to Hiring Illegals).
No. That would be telling employers to just say no. I’m saying to the employers “go ahead” and slapping them with a fine worse than they can imagine. The resulting penalties would be so bad, that employers would make sure that they stay straight. It won’t happen over night, but if they were actually seriously punished, then you would see the job opportunities dry up for illegals. It’s the only way to slow this down and reverse the trend.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:

What concerns me the most though is the continued lack of port and plant security.
Joe excellent post, as usual. It is not saying "just say no" if you actually enforce the law against employers, as the Bush administration has recently started to do. Of course the "mythical wall" is a joke as far as solving the real issues, and port and plant security is a much more vital priority in the war on terror. Texasnick, I advise you take all of those murder and pillage statistics with a grain of salt. You will find most of the sources for these types of stats are white supremacist or radical right websites.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Texasnick, I advise you take all of those murder and pillage statistics with a grain of salt. You will find most of the sources for these types of stats are white supremacist or radical right websites.
Oh, ok. Thanks

However, you do have a point about me looking deeper into the source of where the data is coming from. However, IT IS A PROBLEM, no doubt.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:01 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Oh, ok. Thanks

However, you do have a point about me looking deeper into the source of where the data is coming from. However, IT IS A PROBLEM, no doubt.
In all seriousness..I would be interested in seeing a legitimate source from somebody showing these stats. every time I ask I get somebody with theamericanfreedompatrolminuteman.org, or to that effect.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM

The misguided concern over every little - and I do mean little - as those events are on par percentage wise with anything else. 28,000 amounts to a tenth of a percent of the U.S. population. I don’t say this to belittle a problem, but again, look at the over heated rhetoric on the immigration board with so many tiny stories and it all goes back to money. It all goes back to the fact that the illegals KNOW that they can find work. If the employers knew that there were a good chance of getting busted and that getting busted would mean a significant fine, they yeah, they would think twice and after a while, the network would collapse. This will take a long time, but it is not happening now and it must. Everything else is wasted energy. I too believe that unfortunately this is fueled by 2 forces that have merged, hate groups and uniformed people who are buying into the fear without perpective of the situation. This doesn't mean that all who are fired up are bad or racist.

I can't stress enough how it concerns me that our port and plan security has not been improved. Additionally as the Twin Cities proved, our infrastructure is falling apart which is also a national security issue.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
When will it end? Really, when will this childish rhetoric regarding the war end. Most Americans are against this failed policy - the left is the center.

War is part of policy. And this one is a disaster. Anyone with any clue of the history over there and geo-politics in general, could see that. Even Dick stated as much in the 90s. As did Daddy Bush and others, but the confused elitest PNACers had some theories - Theories without any reality.... and this group got to have its lab project come true with puppet Fredo in the Oval Office.

We are told that now the surge will make the difference. Really? The surge is going to change hundreds of years of history and the dymanics of this communal civil war? Really? I haven't heard how, but maybe you and the fine patriots Eagles, can help me understand.

Meanwhile, while you search hannity for the response to my question, please stop making foolish claims about who is patriotic, as concerned Americans are trying to get our policy on course - for our country and military's sake.

Maybe you don't expect much from our country and are content with this incompetent administration and their horrible foreign policies, but many Americans expect better. Too much is at risk to let this incompetence continue. This incompetence in attacking Iraq, has hurt our national security, as real threats are not being addressed.

exactly. And what about the open borders Bush is keeping so illegals may stream in?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM

454 posts, read 1,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
Stop it. Come to your senses. We are all Americans.
EXACTLY! Perfect way of stating an obvious fact that seems to continually be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies