Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Typical CAIR political tactics. If Islam is a religion an apolitical why is a lawmaker attempting to get involved? Do advertisers not have the freedom of speech not to "speak" by silencing their own advertising?

This is political Islam. Get used to it or fight it.
The is political fundamentalist Christians who pressured Lowes into pulling its advertising to begin with. Nothing to do with CAIR. Nothing to do with radical Islam. The show wasn't about radical Islam, and the fundamentalist Christians were concerned with Muslims being portrayed as normal Americans. Horror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The is political fundamentalist Christians who pressured Lowes into pulling its advertising to begin with. Nothing to do with CAIR. Nothing to do with radical Islam. The show wasn't about radical Islam, and the fundamentalist Christians were concerned with Muslims being portrayed as normal Americans. Horror!
and see how the FFA representative can't even answer a question about the show..

Jon Stewart on TLC's Disappointingly Terror-Free All American Muslim

Yes, they pressured Lowe's because of WHat the SHOW wasn't showing.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lowes is entitled to not support any show. Politicians, especially Ellison, have no clue how the constitution works. This bozo somehow believes that Lowes is required to advertise where it does not wish to. What a moron.
Well, you know, it goes along with forcing folks to purchase health care insurance just for breathing. People wanted to know where that would lead? To this - our over reaching govt deciding who should purchase something.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
and see how the FFA representative can't even answer a question about the show..

Jon Stewart on TLC's Disappointingly Terror-Free All American Muslim

Yes, they pressured Lowe's because of WHat the SHOW wasn't showing.
From what I understand, they did show some of the intolerance of Islam. I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) that the daughter wasn't allowed to marry the man she loved unless he converted to Islam. And that he was pressured into getting rid of his dog to appease her family.

Other religions may encourage the same thing...doesn't make it right, or tolerant.

What would be interesting is to video some sermons (or whatever they are called in Islam) and show them. Let the public make their own minds up. Their preaching may well be benign, I would expect that it is.

Actually, sounds like he needs to grow a pair.

I would expect that a TV series coverning Catholics would at least discuss the issues of child molestation by priests, and how practicioners deal with it. It's a common, publicly understood issue, associated with the religion. Why give Islam a free pass on the subjugation of women, terrorism and oppression of other religions?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From what I understand, they did show some of the intolerance of Islam. I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) that the daughter wasn't allowed to marry the man she loved unless he converted to Islam. And that he was pressured into getting rid of his dog to appease her family.

Other religions may encourage the same thing...doesn't make it right, or tolerant.

His love, his choice.

I'm willing to bet that the members of this group would be just as unwilling to allow one of their children marry outside the faith. Sadly, the irony is probably lost on them.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Well, the Mormons massacred settlers at the Mountain Meadow Massacre, based on the Mormon's perception of persection over their religious beliefs.
I guess I missed that...was it this week? Last month? Early this year?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:

What would be interesting is to video some sermons (or whatever they are called in Islam) and show them. Let the public make their own minds up. Their preaching may well be benign, I would expect that it is.

I would expect that a TV series coverning Catholics would at least discuss the issues of child molestation by priests, and how practicioners deal with it. It's a common, publicly understood issue, associated with the religion. Why give Islam a free pass on the subjugation of women, terrorism and oppression of other religions?
And this seems to be the problem. When the Donnie & Marie show was airing on television, there didn't seem to be a lot of people demanding that the Osmond's discuss polygamy, and other Mormon issues. There's an entire network devoted to Catholics, and child molestation is rarely, if ever, mentioned on any of the shows aired by the network. This is a show about average American Muslims. It's not up to fundamental Christian groups to decide what those average American Muslims should discuss, it's not up to you. More than that, in their insistence that they do have the right to dictate such matters, and pressuring Lowe's to withdraw their support for their show, this fundamental Christian group harms all of us by trying to control and format free speech to the paradigm they want. I understand their right to free speech, I understand their right to criticize the show. I don't understand their right to decide what the program should showcase and what it should not.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I guess I missed that...was it this week? Last month? Early this year?
Ooooooh, sarcasm. I'm slayed, utterly slayed.

You asked for an example, a single example, of the Amish or Mormons committing an act of terrorism. You were provided with an example.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
And this seems to be the problem. When the Donnie & Marie show was airing on television, there didn't seem to be a lot of people demanding that the Osmond's discuss polygamy, and other Mormon issues. There's an entire network devoted to Catholics, and child molestation is rarely, if ever, mentioned on any of the shows aired by the network. This is a show about average American Muslims. It's not up to fundamental Christian groups to decide what those average American Muslims should discuss, it's not up to you. More than that, in their insistence that they do have the right to dictate such matters, and pressuring Lowe's to withdraw their support for their show, this fundamental Christian group harms all of us by trying to control and format free speech to the paradigm they want. I understand their right to free speech, I understand their right to criticize the show. I don't understand their right to decide what the program should showcase and what it should not.

Fundimentalist Christian groups have every right to pressure Lowes or other businesses. As does CAIR, or any other group or individual. The business has every right to sponsor whatever TV program they choose, as TLC has every right to create whatever kind of show they want. They equally have the right to not sponsor such programming.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Ooooooh, sarcasm. I'm slayed, utterly slayed.

You asked for an example, a single example, of the Amish or Mormons committing an act of terrorism. You were provided with an example.

Fair enough, I didn't specify a time limit. 154 years though, to find a case similary to what happens in Islamic societies pretty much every week...kinda makes a point, doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies