Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I agree, and I would suspect a legal challenge to rule the limits as unconstitutional, but until such time, thats the law.

I dont believe in limits at all, if you want to give $50k to Obama, you should be allowed.
Bad idea. This would eventually put the wealthy in power. Thus, we would lose our democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Corporations are psychopaths.

If I stand on the shore of a river in plain view of other people and dump a barrel clearly labeled as Dioxin complete with a poison symbol on it, I will get arrested and put in jail for polluting the river. If a corporation dumps pollution into a river through some means and fish are killed or babies who drink from the water grow a third eye, there will be lawsuits stretched out over a decade with all kinds of moneys spent to combat the idea that the corporation is responsible for any of what happens with the secret crap it "adds" to the river. If the corporation is found to be responsible, no one will go to jail. It will be fined and the cost of the fine will be added to the cost of their products, thereby making the consumer pay for their crime.

No, corporations aren't people. They're certainly not human. They are but sheets of paper giving subhumans license to commit untold crimes for profit.

Kudos to Bernie Sanders.
You are wrong as always. Corporations do have people go to jail for polluting.. 4 people that worked for Atlantic States Cast Iron Pipe Co are in jail for doing that very thing

McWane Cast Iron Pipe Company et al. Fact Sheet | Criminal Enforcement | Compliance and Enforcement | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/criminal/mcwane-fcsht.html - broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Clearly you dont believe corporations are people, and if Cities are corporations, then this means Cities arent people and thus lack the authority to tax and legislate the citizens..

The fact that you cant make these steps and need someone to explain it to you, isnt a problem I'd be running around bragging about online.
I, as a person, cannot tax other citizens.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Bad idea. This would eventually put the wealthy in power. Thus, we would lose our democracy.
We dont have a democracy, we have a represenative republic, with 50 constitutional republic states.

There is absolutely NOTHING stopping you from spending money to buy a ad on behalf of your favorite candidate (i've done it), provided you do it independently. You have a first amendment right and laws cant limit your free speach provided you use your own resources to do so.

The limits only come into play when you give your money to someone else to use on their behalf.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I, as a person, cannot tax other citizens.
You can indeed charge persons a fee to use your land and use your services.

If corporations arent people, under what legal authority would they have to actually tax you? The fact that you DONT tax other citizens, actually validates my claim, but nothing says you cant. There are cities that go up for sale on occasion, you are perfectly free to buy them and tax its citizens.

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/07/03/...-january-2009/

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
I've got some news for ya...the wealthy already are in power...why would you think otherwise?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
We dont have a democracy, we have a represenative republic, with 50 constitutional republic states.

There is absolutely NOTHING stopping you from spending money to buy a ad on behalf of your favorite candidate (i've done it), provided you do it independently. You have a first amendment right and laws cant limit your free speach provided you use your own resources to do so.

The limits only come into play when you give your money to someone else to use on their behalf.
Obviously, many people are too poor to buy an ad on behalf of their favorite candidate. This is especially true during a recession.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
You can indeed charge persons a fee to use your land and use your services.

If corporations arent people, under what legal authority would they have to actually tax you? The fact that you DONT tax other citizens, actually validates my claim, but nothing says you cant. There are cities that go up for sale on occasion, you are perfectly free to buy them and tax its citizens.

White’s City, NM city for sale on eBay – buy it now $5,000,000 with 0% APR eBay Mastercard until January 2009*|*Gear Diary
A fee is not a tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies