Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All any of this carp does is open your car to get keyed by some kook who believes otherwise. I used to have a Buck sticker in my window until some tree huggers keyed my truck and kicked a dent in it.
Exactly.

I damn sure don't put political stickers on my car, or anything else controversial.

I don't want to get a POP* violation.

*Pissing off the Po-lice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If this were the standard Texas tag which everyone was required to have, I could see the problem, but these are optional.
Exactly right, SNL. This is a great example of much ado about nothing, and some people either out of ignorance or deliberate intent, spreading misinformation. Like you say, this is not about the State of Texas endorsing a religion by putting a Christian Cross on official license tags. Rather, it is a "specialty" or "vanity" tag that any group can apply for to feature their own design and/or symbol. And that includes atheist organizations. They have to pay an extra fee for it, and no one is required to buy one.

This same type so-called "controversy" came up several months ago when the Texas Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans applied for a speciality tag featuring their logo. The liberal newsmedia was full of slanted stories -- with the usual perpetually offended bunch egging it on -- about how the state was putting Confederate Flags on Texas license plates. And of course, the ill-informed swallowed this half-truth hook, line, and sinker.

But just like the thing with the Cross now, it was deliberately distorted and based on nothing more than a superficiality. There was never any plan to put the Confederate Flag per se and alone on official state license plates. Hell, even I could understand and see the concerns and objections if that had been the case! No, it amounted to the SCV group applying for a vanity tag, and their (our) logo simply incorporates a Battle Flag into the larger design. Nothing more...and people were free to buy it or not if it had been approved.

This whole thing is ridiculous!

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-13-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
It is a special order one, I don't see the big deal. As long as it is not standard, no problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Texas approves controversial license plate featuring crosses - latimes.com

It seems Texas has blown off a key provision of the Bill of Rights, and endorsed an official state religion, by putting three crosses, representing Calvery Hill, on vehicle license plates!

So, in Texas, the government can engage in religious discrimnation, so long as it discriminates FOR Christianity???

Or, does Texas plan to release plates with symbols of the many other faiths its citizens belong to?
IMO, you have twisted version of the Bill of rights.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Much ado about nothing. I have "pet Friendly" IL plates that I pay extra for. This is no different.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Pretty clever of Texas - they've found a way to make Christians volunteer for extra taxation.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'd do it too. Those christians spend big bucks to bling themselves out. I mean, you aren't really christian if people can't tell just by looking at you.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Someone should put an end to ALL these stupid "specialty plates" in all states. Many of them look so ridiculous that you can barely read them. Or else look like a jr. high art project. Have an opinion? Buy a BUMPER STICKER!

And a friend of mine in Texas was right. Perry is like GW Bush, only much dumber! Must be quite an echo between his ears

Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
What is the big deal anyway? Is it going to cause any of you non Christians to flip your lid if you lay your eyes on a Texas tag with a Christian symbol on it? If it does then you need to get a life.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
Indiana has their "One Nation Under God" plates which seem to **** off a fair number of people there but that plate isn't nearly as blantant as this plate is.
The plates in Indiana have "In God we trust" and that is the majority of plates you see on the road in Indiana.

So who is it suppose to be ticking off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies