Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
That's a typical response from many who don't want to STOP using these cells...thereby risking their lives as well as 'OURS.'

lool.. over 3000 people died last year do to people texting, talking. surfing the internet while driving..

how many died last year do to terrorist??? hmm we dont spend 3 billion a week fighting texting while driving our priorities are so screwed up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
sucks if you're on a bus/train/taxi

And it sucks when you're T-boned by some nitwit who thinks a phone call is worth killing someone for.

Your point?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
my point is come up with a better system that doesn't **** me over when I'm not operating a motor vehicle but still moving 5MPH or faster

Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,673,898 times
Before cell phone people were still doing distracting things and killing other people in the process. Putting make up on, eating, drunk/drugged driving, falling asleep at the wheel, and then came cell phones the worst of the bunch. If there were none of this you would still have bad drivers. There are drivers who could not walk down the street and chew chewing gum at the same time who now have cell phones to talk and text while they put their make up on or eat a two handed sandwich. I even seen one video that had caught a driver reading a book as he drove.

If you don't have the good sense to know you shouldn't be doing these distractions while driving then you shouldn't be driving at all. If you kill a person while distracted instead of vehicular homicide you should be charged with first degree manslaughter and put away for twenty five years.

I agree, a total ban on all phone usage in a moving vehicle ASAP.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
my point is come up with a better system that doesn't **** me over when I'm not operating a motor vehicle but still moving 5MPH or faster

Tell the cabbie to pull over and understand that odds are nobody on the bus/train wants to hear your phone calls anyway.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
Just today I was heading home after taking my mother to the eye doctor. We had to drive past a hospital and I observed a woman stop on the street to turn around. I waited she pulled into a parking space and then backed up to turn around. Okay, not the smartest thing to do but I've been there where you're a little distracted if you have to go to the hospital. She turned around and then put her right turn signal on to head into the hospital main entrance stop sign and then made a left, the way I was going. Okay, she was an older driver so I figured she was turned around or lost. I followed her and she made a left at the next stop sign and I went straight. She was on a cell phone the whole time.
Three times out of four when I see somebody make a bad judgment call while driving they're on a cell phone.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Just today I was heading home after taking my mother to the eye doctor. We had to drive past a hospital and I observed a woman stop on the street to turn around. I waited she pulled into a parking space and then backed up to turn around. Okay, not the smartest thing to do but I've been there where you're a little distracted if you have to go to the hospital. She turned around and then put her right turn signal on to head into the hospital main entrance stop sign and then made a left, the way I was going. Okay, she was an older driver so I figured she was turned around or lost. I followed her and she made a left at the next stop sign and I went straight. She was on a cell phone the whole time.
Three times out of four when I see somebody make a bad judgment call while driving they're on a cell phone.
Pretty much every time you see a car drastically slow down on the freeway, or start drifting off the lane, or make sudden corrections to stay on the lane, or a driver failing to see a light turn green, it's a driver on a cell phone. It seems to be the case 9 out of 10 times. This is a serious public safety issue.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I agree, a total ban on all phone usage in a moving vehicle ASAP.
Yup, then ban loose change, children in the back seat, radios, CD players, iPods, books, make-up, roadside billboards, chatty passengers, yadda-yadda.....

Oh, and have the appointed bureaucrats in the federal government decide, let them ban them all, cuz we can't sit back and tolerate the idiots who vote in the states to decide, nor allow input from their elected representatives in their states decide either.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Pretty much every time you see a car drastically slow down on the freeway, or start drifting off the lane, or make sudden corrections to stay on the lane, or a driver failing to see a light turn green, it's a driver on a cell phone. It seems to be the case 9 out of 10 times. This is a serious public safety issue.
Should it be an issue decided upon by the federal government?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
Lets start giving driver's a competency test to see if they can drive and talk on a hands free... any driver who doesn't pass has to have a big red X sticker on their vehicle so that people know to back off...

wait, this sounds fascist....

Can't ban people doing stuff, always will happen, law or not. We don't need a law for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies