Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I was just listening to the national news and they are saying that nobody seems to be happy with candidates for president and the popularity of Congress overall for the year is at 75% disapproval rating.
I think they have the message but I doubt anything will change.
The bottom line is that I think as long as big business can have the legal influence over our elected representatives their lobbyists will continue to be the ones that are served by our congress.
Forget about the people that elected them, that no longer matters.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
The problem is when if you ask about congress as a whole you get high dissaproval. But if u go into districts and put a name to them you will get most districts with a high rating for their own congressman. It is usually low dissaproval for congress but not low dissaproval for their congressman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I was just listening to the national news and they are saying that nobody seems to be happy with candidates for president and the popularity of Congress overall for the year is at 75% disapproval rating.
I think they have the message but I doubt anything will change.
The bottom line is that I think as long as big business can have the legal influence over our elected representatives their lobbyists will continue to be the ones that are served by our congress.
Forget about the people that elected them, that no longer matters.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Your first mistake is listening to "national" news. (ha,ha!)

We hear this all the time. To get the real opinion of congress look at the re-election rate for most Congresses. It will tell you a different story.

Polls continually show when asked, "How do you rate Congress?"

Then they are asked, "How do you rate YOUR congressmen?" The answers are usually polar opposites. that is why they get re-elected.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
See, here's the problem: it's not hard to find plenty of people who aren't happy with the job Congress is doing. But every time there's an election, it looks as though fewer and fewer people actually get up off their butts and vote. (Yeah, people always say that they vote, to pollsters. But when you look at the numbers, you see how many of them are lying).

Congressional representatives may be rapacious, slimy, greedy, corrupt, perverted or some combination thereof. But they aren't stupid. They know perfectly well that voter apathy (if not substandard education) keeps them in office.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM

16,964 posts, read 12,534,154 times
The above is correct... Money buys politicians of both stripes.

One of the flaws of the constitution is the ABSOLUTE right to free speech, even for corporations and unions. billionaires... The Supreme Court has ruled on this multiple times.

But.. Of course in 1787 they could never imagine George Soros or the Koch brothers buying far more than their share of influence thru mass media.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,677,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your first mistake is listening to "national" news. (ha,ha!)

We hear this all the time. To get the real opinion of congress look at the re-election rate for most Congresses. It will tell you a different story.

Polls continually show when asked, "How do you rate Congress?"

Then they are asked, "How do you rate YOUR congressmen?" The answers are usually polar opposites. that is why they get re-elected.

And you would prefer I get my national news where?

The facts are that several polls say that this last congress is the most unpopular by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies