Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is truly sad. Now, you aren't even allowed to be Muslim in this country without facing backlash. I'm not Muslim but this show is about Americans who happen to be Muslim and provide their perspective on issues. If Lowes protested and pulled ads from an Evangelical Christian show, the Right in this country would revolt. I consider myself to be a conservative but find myself to be increasingly Independent as I can't relate to the Christian Conservative movement hijacking the Republican party.....and Lowes! This is truly sad because I really like Lowes but do not agree with their stance as I find it un-American and I would feel that way if they pulled their ad from an Evangelical Christian program as well. This country is about respecting all views including conservative views. To me, it's about respecting what this country is all about and Lowes is being un-American in their decision to boycott this show IMHO. Of course, this is their right but I think their move is in poor taste and disrespectful to all Americans not just Muslim Americans. I don't find this to be a Conservative vs Liberal stance as some of you might. You can be Conservative and an Evangelical Christian and disagree with Lowe's actions as it disrespects what this country is founded upon.

Lowe's faces backlash over pulling ads from 'All-American Muslim' - latimes.com
Do you, at recall, the cheering and howling from the left that occurred after left leaning organizations went after sponsors of the Glenn Beck Show? I guess you think that it is who people like that go after that counts. I see that if they managed what they tried to do with him maybe what happened here isn't so bad. Beck isn't even a Republican or an Evangelical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you, at recall, the cheering and howling from the left that occurred after left leaning organizations went after sponsors of the Glenn Beck Show?
Two possibilities:
1- You view Glenn Beck as being no different than American Muslims (who are covered by the program). In this case, you must either hate both, or like both. I have a feeling, that is not the case.
2- Glenn Beck's case involves a hatred spewing idiot mouthing off on TV. Although I have not see any episode of American Muslims on TLC (but now tempted to, a recording on DVR is in order), I would bet a grand that it doesn't involve xenophobic rantings spewing hatred against others.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
The worst part is the OBJECTIONS were because the TLC program does not show muslims to be terrorists!! This is f-ing amazing that a handful of zealots end up changing the policy of Lowes. Simply disgraceful and cowardly.

Kabulvision - A New Lowe - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/13/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Yeah the rep from the FFA was pathetic.

Quote:
Maybe when TLC shows something about catholics, people should object if they do not show how the priests screw the kids as normal behavior.
Or the next time TLC or any networks shows a Christian or Baptist family, we should be up in arms, because they aren't showing the activities of the WESTBORO Baptist Church.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Lowes boycotts "American Muslim" after pressure from Evangelical Christian group

The facts are that the title of this thread is a flat out lie, Lowes is not boycotting anything, they chose not to advertise during a reality show, that is their right. I don't shop at Von's, I'm not boycotting Von's I just don't shop there.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Any time the right wingers pretend to not be racist or "tolerant" it's always a flat out lie. The responses from the right in this thread really proves that point.
Uh, I'm a right-winger and I criticized the objections to the show. I also think that although it is the right of Lowe's to remove their advertising for any reason they see fight, that the reasons for doing so are shallow, stupid, and reeks of cowardice.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you, at recall, the cheering and howling from the left that occurred after left leaning organizations went after sponsors of the Glenn Beck Show? I guess you think that it is who people like that go after that counts. I see that if they managed what they tried to do with him maybe what happened here isn't so bad. Beck isn't even a Republican or an Evangelical.
I can understand the Glenn Beck move because that show is deliberately controversial. I would similarly understand if Lowes or another company boycotted Keith Olberman or Bill Maher for the same reasons. However, this show is not remotely controversial. It's a show on TLC which interviews Muslim Americans in Dearborn, Michigan. It's a documentary show not an in-your face protest down with Christianity type of show. The people protesting it are right wing Evangelical zealots from some small organization in Florida because it involves Muslims. That's like me protesting a show because it interviews Christians implying that interviewing anyone of a certain religion is bad so comparing it to what happened to Glen Beck is a poor analogy.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Uh, I'm a right-winger and I criticized the objections to the show. I also think that although it is the right of Lowe's to remove their advertising for any reason they see fight, that the reasons for doing so are shallow, stupid, and reeks of cowardice.
The point being made is regarding the pressure on Lowe's though, for ridiculous reasons. Lowe's succumbing to it is for purely business reasons... the perfect example of why there is, and always been be, that need to protect a minority from mobs.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Well then you give me hope that not all conservatives think this way. Again, I can understand Lowes or any conservative organization boycotting a show that is intentionally designed to be controversial like a political talk show such as Bill Maher or Keith Olberman or any show that is full of propaganda with the intent of sending a controversial message. Most of the respondents have not seen the show and assume it's another Michael Moore type show and its nothing like that. The Christian group is simply protesting the show because the protagonists are Muslim. That's a shallow reason to protest a show. There are a lot of Evangelical themed shows or documentaries that are not designed to be controversial but are just showing their life and perspective like a documentary. I would never protest a show like that. Basically, they are sending the message that if a show has Muslims in it, they should boycott it, that may be their right but it's also racist.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
But they only removed advertising until the evangelicals complained about the show. Why would they advertise on the show in the first place if they knew it would be controversial?
Perhaps they didn't realize the level of crazy in this country. They wouldn't be the first to be surprised.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
I still have to buy 4 more replacement windows from them. I've only been holding off on doing it because I've been extremely busy. I should move up my timeline and support my local store.

Thanks OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies