Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Marriage in this country is most certainly a right, and in more than one sense. Marriage really means 2 different things in this country. Both types of marriage deal with rights, but in different ways.

We all possess certain fundamental, natural rights: life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, a degree of privacy from government interference, etc. One form of marriage in this country is completely separate from government. It's the free association of two (or more) people in relationships that have traditionally (be they religious, familial, tribal, or whatever traditions) been called marriages. I think we would all agree that we have the fundamental right to freely associate in these types of marriages without interference from the government. When the justices in Loving v. Virgina were waxing philosophic about marriage being a fundamental right, they meant it in this context.

There is also another type of marriage in this country - civil marriage. It's separate and unrelated from the aforementioned religious or traditional marriage associations. It's a contract, crafted within our law, that confers to couples a collection of joint, legal rights - a collection of benefits, privileges, protections, and responsibilities. These are not fundamental rights, but they are legal rights. As such, they are subject to the 14th Amendment of our Constitution which require that laws, and the legal rights they confer, be administered equally.
Well stated and I totally agree. Excellent points and post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Well stated and I totally agree. Excellent points and post!
So does that mean you agree with me that laws banning same-sex couples from contracting civil marriages are unconstitutional - specifically in that they violate the 14th Amendment?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So does that mean you agree with me that laws banning same-sex couples from contracting civil marriages are unconstitutional - specifically in that they violate the 14th Amendment?
I have no problem with civil unions. It is the attempt to change the premise of marriage (between a man and a woman) that I have a problem with. That and their adoption of babies and children who are too young to understand and choose the homosexual lifestyle of the adoptive parents that they will be forced to live.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
How To Explain Gay Rights To An Idiot
How's that going?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain_1 View Post
i have no problem with civil unions. It is the attempt to change the premise of marriage (between a man and a woman) that i have a problem with. That and their adoption of babies and children who are too young to choose the homosexual lifestyle of the adoptive parents that they will be forced to live.
LOL. I always like reading these threads because of the people like yourself. Always good for some laughs.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
LOL. I always like reading these threads because of the people like yourself. Always good for some laughs.
Oh, there you are. Now that you've come out of hiding. Looking forward to your response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok
Your posts have been really anti-gay.

I never said you don't have a right to voice your opinion. I will absolutely defend anyone's right to voice his or her opinion whether I agree with it or not.

Quote:
Please quote an anti-gay post authored by me, otherwise stop hurling false accusations at me. The fact that you continue to accuse me of stating something that I never stated is getting annoying. You then continue to contradict yourself and deny what you state in each post simply because I do not agree with your opinion or the homosexual lifestyle.

Quote:
I was merely saying that the ridicule and alienation children who have gay parents face would not exist if adults didn't go around hating on gays. I never said you don't have the right to say what you want; I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy.
What hypocrisy? I stated that I don't agree with it or them adopting children. Additionally, you have no factual confirmation that those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle hate gays. While most may not agree with the sexual deviance of homosexuals, it does not mean that everyone hates them. Perhaps you should examine what may be your own self hatred as oppposed to blaming the rest of the world for not sharing your opinion of said lifestyle.

As for this:

Quote:
And who exactly are you talking about when you say "people like me"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok
Because of people like you going around preaching about how terrible gays are.

I am simply throwing your own words back in your face.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yet more evidence. You people don't know when to quit!

I've never once suggested that there is an individual "duty" to contribute to the propagation of the species, I simply maintain that the continuation of the human species beyond the current generation might be a good thing. And I think most people who do not possess a death wish for the human race would agree with me.

But hey, I enthusiastically support your right to not contribute.
Do you think, with well over 7 billion people, that we're really in any danger of dying out within the next generation? If anything, we should be taking measures to stop explosive propagation.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Those wanting gay marriage so bad may want to look into why it passed in Masschusetts. As the saying goes, be carefull what you ask for, you may just get it.
Because Massachusetts didn't let ancient religion dictate individual equality?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Oh, there you are. Now that you've come out of hiding. Looking forward to your response:
I will respond once you can format your post correctly.

I can't really tell what you wrote and what I wrote in that jumbled mess and I am unwilling to make the effort to sort it all out if you're unwilling to even try to use basic forum etiquette.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I've always said your free to your own opinion but don't expect me to go along with it. I can think for myself.
Think for yourself? Yes. Able to approach the subject of gays in a rational, intelligent manner? Absolutely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies