Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

From the OWS general assembly. It appears some sanity has taken over somebody here.

"Buy-Out Buy-In
proposal for GA: Dec. 18th, 2011

One month ago, we were kicked out of Zuccotti. Today, we had a major action at Canal St. Regardless of whether you support an eventual occupation at that location, it feels like this chapter of Occupy Wall Street is coming to a close. Regardless of the success our movement has in the future, the forceful and criminal eviction of November 15th still hurts. It hurts to be holding GA’s here in an empty park. It hurts to stand here in the cold, fighting for nothing. I do not mean that we don’t stand for principles.
I mean that we don’t have a physical home.
There is nothing here. There are no structures. There is no sign of our community. There is no life. Yes, we are here. But we have become tourists. We visit the park, we do not occupy it. I don’t care how hard core you are, you eventually leave to seek shelter somewhere else. You have to. The park has been, to use Bloomberg’s term, sanitized. The germs, the occupiers, the us, have been scrubbed clean.
One month ago I proposed that we take all of the funds in the general fund and divide them among the occupiers. A lot of people thought this was a crazy idea. A lot of people aren’t thinking it’s such a crazy idea anymore.
Immediate questions come up: How would you split up the money? Who would get it? How would you give everyone access to the tools to spend it wisely? How would current projects continue to be funded? Why would you do this?
I can’t answer all of these questions. But I can answer the last one. Why should we make an effort to give the money that Zuccotti was donated to the people who occupied the park? Because the park is dead. Look around you.
The occupation.
Is.
Dead."

Proposal for Sunday, 12/18, General Assembly: Buy-Out Buy-In | NYC General Assembly # Occupy Wall Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
From the OWS general assembly. It appears some sanity has taken over somebody here.

"Buy-Out Buy-In
proposal for GA: Dec. 18th, 2011

One month ago, we were kicked out of Zuccotti. Today, we had a major action at Canal St. Regardless of whether you support an eventual occupation at that location, it feels like this chapter of Occupy Wall Street is coming to a close. Regardless of the success our movement has in the future, the forceful and criminal eviction of November 15th still hurts. It hurts to be holding GA’s here in an empty park. It hurts to stand here in the cold, fighting for nothing. I do not mean that we don’t stand for principles.
I mean that we don’t have a physical home.
There is nothing here. There are no structures. There is no sign of our community. There is no life. Yes, we are here. But we have become tourists. We visit the park, we do not occupy it. I don’t care how hard core you are, you eventually leave to seek shelter somewhere else. You have to. The park has been, to use Bloomberg’s term, sanitized. The germs, the occupiers, the us, have been scrubbed clean.
One month ago I proposed that we take all of the funds in the general fund and divide them among the occupiers. A lot of people thought this was a crazy idea. A lot of people aren’t thinking it’s such a crazy idea anymore.
Immediate questions come up: How would you split up the money? Who would get it? How would you give everyone access to the tools to spend it wisely? How would current projects continue to be funded? Why would you do this?
I can’t answer all of these questions. But I can answer the last one. Why should we make an effort to give the money that Zuccotti was donated to the people who occupied the park? Because the park is dead. Look around you.
The occupation.
Is.
Dead."

Proposal for Sunday, 12/18, General Assembly: Buy-Out Buy-In | NYC General Assembly # Occupy Wall Street
Obama,...movie stars,....Mikey Moore,....George Soros,....and the main stream media tried to breathe life into a losing theme. Alas, the "bowel movement" died due to the lack of interest by the public at large.

At least a few see the writing on the wall.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM

24 posts, read 17,795 times
It's funny how the OWS people support the violation of the rights of others yet when their rights are violated they feel like they are being singled out and picked on.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
The entitlement camps broke down after the donations allowing them to squat and be fed by other people's money dried up? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

My guess is Obama put the word out to his radical friends that this was taking a toll on his numbers.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliendroid View Post
It's funny how the OWS people support the violation of the rights of others yet when their rights are violated they feel like they are being singled out and picked on.
What?
Are they really acting like christians?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
So, unless they have a place to set up their tents to call home there is no movement ?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Why should we make an effort to give the money that Zuccotti was donated to the people who occupied the park? Because the park is dead.
Maybe they should give the money that was donated to repair the damage to the park.

The protesters don't need it, they have up-to-date iPhones and mommy & daddy pay their credit card bills.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
Are they really acting like christians?
Yes they are and they are supported by many christian groups thoughtout the country, and the rumors of the death of the Occupy Movement are premature.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM

298 posts, read 389,944 times
They could spend the money lobbying D.C. You know, to try to make the changes that they want actually occur?

"Oh wait that would make us the bad guys we protest against, so let's just cash out".

The death of OWS couldn't come soon enough!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
It's good that the author recognizes the irony of the same hierarchy within their movement that they criticize in society.

Also, the author doesn't mean this statement as a call to surrender, for what it's worth - you'd have to actually read it. The intention is interesting, but it won't work anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies