Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 PM

313 posts, read 329,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I've seen them in plenty of ads. McDonald's for instance.
McDonald's is also cheap and can reach a greater demographic area and not lose money promoting to the wrong people. They can promote to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Actually, Americanized Asians come accross as very content with their social standing in American socieity. Asian women seem to have the attitude that marrying into a white family is the ultimate success and Asian males consider being accepted into a prestigious university or medical school as the culmination of success. I never hear them complaining.

I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Whites make the most money per capita.
Untrue. In the U.S. Asians make the most per capita http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0697.pdf

In aggregate yes whites make the most because they have the numbers.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Dude, I see Asians every single day in NJ. Not that I mind. I like them. They're usually very nice and never troublemakers. Of course, I don't want to generalize but, oddly, I have yet to encounter a mean or rude Asian.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think a lot of us Whites stereotype Asians as a rich, smart, hard working, law abiding model minority.

Like any other races, lower income Asians tend to live together in the same neighborhoods. Kinda like Asian ghettos. Problems you will find in these neighbor hoods include, poverty, drug abuse, gang activity, illegal gambling, and prostitution. Try visiting any of the Chinatowns in the US and you will see what I mean.

Asians are not somehow superior to other races.
Good point. A few posters above mentioned the movie Gran Torino. I believe the film did a decent job of depicting the side of Asian America few have seen or are perhaps even willing to see. These are real communities with real problems, and they are far from isolated.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Id say Asians are represented well, remember they are only at most 5% of the population. So for every 100 people you see on TV 5 of them should be Asian, if everything is to be fair.

As far as black people go, they are over represented on TV and everything else. They are 12% of the population, yet watching TV you would think that 1 out of every 2 Americans were black.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
There are 14,674,252 (Asians alone/4.8% of the U.S. population) and 17,320,856 (including Multiracial Asians/5.6% of the U.S. population) in America.

I almost never see Asians in commercials and very rarely do I see them appear as sportscasters, media personalities and "expert panelists" unless it's something that's Asian related, which almost never gets discussed.

I thought it was bad for blacks but Asians hardly get mentioned or seen. I do also realize that Asians had a tough time on the West Coast at or around the time blacks were dealing with issues in the south......i.e.-Civil Rights era.

It really makes me wonder what direction this country is going in as far as racial progress and equality. I was watching my daily does of Bloomberg and noticed very few if ever do any of the shows feature any Asians as experts. Every blue moon you'll see a black.

Mark Crumpton is the head anchor on Bloomberg(black) and I know they have a few Asian "beat reporters" but nothing hardly noticeable. CNBC has NO black hosts at all and almost never have any blacks on. Blacks and Asians have to be 2 of the most prosperous groups in this country as it relates to those that have had to and still deal with issues of inequality. Blacks started from scratch while whites were ahead by hundreds of years. It seems like considering the 2 groups have contributed a great deal to the success of this country, you would see much more in terms of visible authority positions.

But my main question is concerning Asians and their lack of presence on quality TV and commercials.

Any thoughts?
I never thought about it before but you are correct. Asian Americans are not well represented in the news media field.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I never thought about it before but you are correct. Asian Americans are not well represented in the news media field.
What would be well represented though, for a population that is only 4-5% of the total US population ? 5% representation is easy to miss, so they would still seem absent at only 5% on TV to most people, yet 5% is fair according to their numbers.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
I think that Asian Americans represent far more than 5% of the United States population. Do you have a recent link?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 PM

According to this site 3.8% of actors are Asian so its a tad behind their numbers.

Passing Strange | Hyphen magazine - Asian American arts, culture, and politics

Whites account for 72.5% of actors.
Asians account for 3.8% of actors.

Other groups are not listed, but there is a missing percent of 23.7%, and that is probably mostly taken up by Black people. So if anything, White people are slightly over represented on TV and in movies [whites are now 63% of the US pop - and are 72.5% of the people on TV]. Asians are under represented by about 0.2-0.8%. Blacks are over represented by close to 100% [they are 12% of the population yet act in 20%+ of scenes on TV and film - thus they are over represented by close to 2:1].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies