Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The 1st is more than just free speech. Look it up, it says something about religion as well.
Congress has nothing to do with any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I see a problem with it if it is on public land. If they would not allow a religious item there, they should not allow an item mocking religion. Allowing one but not the other IS NOT free speech. I do think they have the right to believe as they wish.
The problem is, the rules really ARE different for religion. Expressly different, right in the language of the Constitution.

It's an interesting problem because it's not too hard to see how it could work to be unfair.

That's where it gets complicated, especially when you start trying to resolve the equal protection problem.

- the Establishment clause prevents, in a nutshell, religious expression where there is a governmental nexus to the substance of the expression

- BUT: what about anti-religious expression? At what point does this kind of expression cross the line into being religious expression (not pro-religious, but anti-religious religous expression, if you get my meaning). Does it matter how specific they get? Is using pictures of Jesus enough to cross the line into an Establishment clause violation?

It's tricky.

Now to make things even more interesting, let's consider that the Equal Protection clause mandates that people have to be treated equally under the law regardless of their religion. So per the 14th amendment, shouldn't we give equal access to the religious? But wait, doesn't that violate Establishment?

Pay close attention, so-called Constitutionalists, Strict Constructionists and other assorted legally ignorant right wing loonies. This illustrates what you chronically fail to understand. You cannot write any black-letter law, let alone a governing document like the Constitution, and account for every situation.

This is why we have independent courts empowered to interpret the law in light of every cases' specific facts.

So the next time you don't like a court ruling and find yourself saying things like "that word is not in the Constitution" or " the courts can't do that", consider this.

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not to disrespect you, but most atheists know how to spell "atheist".
Pardon my lack of a spell (or typing) checker when I'm banging on an internet forum. I spel plnty of ohter htings rwong too.

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I have.

Allowing one but NOT the other is not free speech.
BOTH were allowed in this park. Religious belief had nothing to do with the choice of displays. Booths were granted in a lottery system.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
I'm not a Christian but I can't help but notice that the cowards I mean the atheists don't want to mock the religion of peace. Why is that?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's ok. They're just mad that we have a cool popular holiday to celebrate while they sit home bitter and unloved year after year. They need something to do while they wait to die alone.
You funny.
Got some fear and hatred of people not bound by belief in fairy tales?
You do know that the popular holiday has its foundation in PAGAN rites...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The 1st is more than just free speech. Look it up, it says something about religion as well.
I'm sure you think you know the first amendment, but your missing its point. First, I am not congress. Second, The city is not congress. Free speech can (and often does) include those things you or I might not agree with. The first amendment does not exclude religion from public displays.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
BOTH were allowed in this park. Religious belief had nothing to do with the choice of displays. Booths were granted in a lottery system.
Well there you go. That should take care of the equal protection issue.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The problem is, the rules really ARE different for religion. Expressly different, right in the language of the Constitution.
Except, to an extent, Atheism or lack or religion could be considered the same as religion itself for these purposes. The government shouldn't be favoring no religion over religion.

(FWIW, I'm Agnostic.)

Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's ok. They're just mad that we have a cool popular holiday to celebrate while they sit home bitter and unloved year after year. They need something to do while they wait to die alone.
True. You have cooler holidays, billion of bibles published every year, 100s of churches built every year, millions of $s spent preaching, etc etc and yet you are scared of a display or a bus sign an atheist puts up? Your beliefs may not be that strong. Also, when someone comes to my door uninvited to tell me I will go to hell (and be perpetually burnt!! - lol) unless I accept his version of truth, that is soooo respectful.

Of course you have a right to put up billboards, as do atheists. I respect that right. However, neither of us have a right to expect respect. Tomorrow, if I believe in an almighty donkey, I should not expect you not to mock it - at the same time it would be illegal for you to tell me not to believe in the donkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies