Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
ANY Christian display? Really?

Name places.
What was that one just recently in Florida? Wasn't it a Wisconsin atheist group that is telling some county in Florida to have it taken down? We now have atheists who don't even live near the display trying to get it taken down. You don't see anything wrong with that type of activism? BTW, it's not just Florida that this group is going after, they are going after these things ANYWHERE!

Texas County Stands up to Atheist Group Over Nativity Scene (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/10155-texas-county-stands-up-to-atheist-group-over-nativity-scene - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Entirely false. Your idealized version of the past has no basis whatsoever in reality or history.

In fact, at the founding of the country, the government could ban people from passing out leaflets in street. It was considered government property to do with as they would, given the same rights as a private landowner.

It's only in the early 20th century and beyond that courts began to enforce the notion that some areas were beyond government control as far as speech issues.
Wow .... only since the 20th Century? You have it so backwards, it's beyond hope.

That "Idealized" version of American history saw a very small, very limited Federal government, with the States maintaining the majority of power. And it wasn't until Lincoln decided to use military force against the Southern States did we see the slow progression of Federal domination begin it's advances that occurred in the 20th Century.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You are the one that thinks it's ok for one and not the other.
I never said any such thing. In fact, I've said precisely the opposite.

Quote:
Atheists want to put up a display, fine, but don't go around LOOKING for religious displays just to make a big stink about it to have it removed.
Show me where the law says that they can't do that. Better yet, show me where the people who put up the Nativity scene have an exclusive right to this spot of public property. Even better, don't bother trying, because you can't.

Quote:
What is that saying? It says, they feel a religious display has no place in the public, but their defamation displays are just fine.
First of all, it's not defamation. You can't defame a religion, only a person.

Secondly, that is NOT what they are saying AT ALL. They are saying no more and no less that what is on the poster.

What you say above is not on the poster in any way, shape or form.

The atheists get their turn to put their crap up in the Santa Monica free speech cage/display, just like the Christians have. This time, it's their turn.

What exactly is the problem with that?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
LOL What have they done to violate the golden rule?
Maybe that was a poor choice of words.

What I mean is both athiest and believer should **** and be respectful of one another. Neither side really is though. I've dealt with more than my fair share of loud and opinionated fundies but there are just as many annoying loudmouths on the left as well.

My golden rule is do your own thing so long as your thing doesn't interfere with someone elses thing and **** if you don't like how someone else is living if it doesn't impact you.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
First of all, we were not aligning ourselves with Islam. We were supporting the right to freedom of religion.

No one that I know said people didn't have the right to voice their opinion, but we did say that the Islamic Cultural Center should not be denied a permit to build based solely on their religion.

NO double standard friend.
No, you were supporting anything you might consider inflammatory to the Christian mainstream ..... so you can stop the "Thomas Jefferson" impersonation now. It's laughable.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Where are they in the public? Nowhere, that's where. They are SCARED to.
I'm not scared. Here I am, an Atheist, saying believing in Islam is foolish and wrong... just like every other religion.

There, feel better?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
What was that one just recently in Florida?

I don't know what you are talking about, but the ACLU is about to make Dixie County remove their clearly unconstitutional Ten Commandments display from the front of their courthouse, and this good Georgia Methodist boy is going to help them do it, for free.

The law is the law. You can't protect religious freedom and let the state endorse a religion at the same time.

Quote:
Wasn't it a Wisconsin atheist group that is telling some county in Florida to have it taken down? We now have atheists who don't even live near the display trying to get it taken down.
I'm pretty sure that Section 1985 et al. doesn't come with geographic restrictions on standing. It's a constitutional issue.

Quote:
You don't see anything wrong with that type of activism?
No I don't, even in cases where I don't agree with their position. This is what the First Amendment is all about.

Quote:
BTW, it's not just Florida that this group is going after, they are going after these things ANYWHERE!
So what? Constitutional rights do not stop at the Florida state line.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Some christians must have very shaky faith. They spend billions of $s building churches around the world, millions giving out free bibles, hundreds of thousands of hours every week chatting about god in churches, and yet a few $200 signs scare the pants off them!!

Just goes to show critical thought scares the crap out of some religious people because deep inside they know it is only blind faith.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I never said any such thing. In fact, I've said precisely the opposite.

Show me where the law says that they can't do that. Better yet, show me where the people who put up the Nativity scene have an exclusive right to this spot of public property. Even better, don't bother trying, because you can't.

First of all, it's not defamation. You can't defame a religion, only a person.

Secondly, that is NOT what they are saying AT ALL. They are saying no more and no less that what is on the poster.

What you say above is not on the poster in any way, shape or form.

The atheists get their turn to put their crap up in the Santa Monica free speech cage/display, just like the Christians have. This time, it's their turn.

What exactly is the problem with that?
Take a look at what the Wisconsin based FFRF aethist group wanted as a banner in PA:

“At this season of the Winter Solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”
Merry Christmas??.....'Bah, humbug' say the atheists - San Jose Christian Perspectives | Examiner.com

You say that's not offending individuals? It was denied rightfully so, but that's what they wanted to say. You call yourself a lawyer?????? Really? You seem very obtuse and not very good at comprehensive reasoning skills. You think I am talking about fighting for the SAME spot to put these things?! LMAO. That's not what I am saying. Try this again. Why do these atheist groups spend so much time looking ALL OVER the country for displays to go after and have them removed, but think THEY have the right to put up their offensive messages? Why do they think THEY have this right but religious people don't? Here's a hint for you, THEY BOTH HAVE THAT RIGHT! That is what these atheist groups don't understand, if they did, they wouldn't be trying to bring law suits up over this or they wouldn't be trying to harass towns to make them remove these things. Get it yet?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, but the ACLU is about to make Dixie County remove their clearly unconstitutional Ten Commandments display from the front of their courthouse, and this good Georgia Methodist boy is going to help them do it, for free.

The law is the law. You can't protect religious freedom and let the state endorse a religion at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that Section 1985 et al. doesn't come with geographic restrictions on standing. It's a constitutional issue.

No I don't, even in cases where I don't agree with their position. This is what the First Amendment is all about.

So what? Constitutional rights do not stop at the Florida state line.
You're a cracker jack lawyer if you think it's unconstitutional to have the 10 commandments on a courthouse lawn. It's freedom of speech remember? Why is there religious writings on almost ALL of the oldest courthouses in the country if it is unconstitutional? I think you are just an activist chasing lawyer looking to ruffle feathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies