Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
Stay strong, Steve! Don't bend in response to the pressure; that's what's happening all over.

And yes, I still say Merry Christmas whenever and to whomever I want. It's That Season, so why not celebrate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Stay strong, Steve! Don't bend in response to the pressure; that's what's happening all over.

And yes, I still say Merry Christmas whenever and to whomever I want. It's That Season, so why not celebrate it?
What pressure is there to stop celebrating Christmas? I'm just curious because it sure looks and sounds like Christmas here in Albuquerque.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes I do. It's Christmas for goodness sakes. Offending someone by wishing them Merry Christmas on Christmas? I don't get that at all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Yeah, I agree. Way to much politically correct crap in this country. Everyone is so afraid of insulting someone, ugh, it is Christmas time, get over it.

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,604 times
People often say, "Merry Christmas" to me and truthfully it doesn't bother me as I know they only mean good wishes, but I do wish people would say, "Happy Holidays" instead. Not all of us are Christian and there are other holidays going on at this time of year. I don't consider this a politically correct issue, but rather a respect issue. Just as I wouldn't go around wishing everyone I meet a Happy Hanukkah or a Happy Passover because everyone isn't Jewish, I expect the same of others. Wishing someone a Happy Holidays is easy enough to say and shows respect by saying, "I understand that we are all different, but regardless I wish you only the best at this time of year."

And on that note... Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year everyone!
(now that wasn't so difficult was it?)

Old 12-15-2011, 01:56 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
It's also Hanukkah, so do you care if someone says Happy Hanukkah to you? It's Hanukkah for goodness sake.

Funny thing is, I only see people on this thread complaining that not everyone says Merry Christmas. I didn't see anyone say that they are offended when someone says Merry Christmas TO them. I'm Jewish. People say Merry Christmas and I say it back. It's a nice sentiment. I don't see why anyone would get anymore offended at Happy Holidays than I do at Merry Christmas

Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Please, whatever you do, DO NOT say Merry Christmas to store clerks, or, especially, phone operators. I worked for a phone sales company, customers would say merry Christmas----What could I say back? According to company policy, anyone who said merry Christmas faced an automatic dismissal for being politically incorrect. However, serveral lost their job for saying things to the effect of same to you, or you too, or even thank you---because they all acknowledged the initial greeting. So, what are we supposed to say? Happy Holidays to you is the only scantioned reply.

Look, we know the customer celebrates Christmas, because they initiated the greeting. But, if we say merry Christmas back, we are saying Merry christmas on behalf of the company we work for---a big no-no.

My mother used to work for Hudsons, PT during the holiday season. Christmas decorations were everywhere, she was told to greet customers with Merry Christmas, or could get fired. That was back in the 50's. Looks like we've gone back to the days of early Christianity, when Christians had to come up with ways to greet other Christians secretly. Maybe I should wear a fish around my neck? No, that's been done....

Old 12-15-2011, 02:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
If strangers say "Merry Christmas" to me, I politely thank them for the sentiment but I remind them that not everyone takes part in that holiday.

People who know me know I don't celebrate that holiday, so they don't say it to me. Problem solved.
Why do you feel you have to "remind" anyone that not everyone celebrates Christmas? I have come to detest the 'season' simply because I have accidently offended someone by saying "Merry Christmas" to them and I refuse to do it anymore. I am a cashier at a 'big box' store and if someone says it to me I will say "Same to you!". I've been "reminded" several times by people who seemed to find it necessary and it was embarassing for me so, no more. And it REALLY does take away any good feelings I might have about it being Christmas. Why can't people just say "Thank you" and go on about their business instead of making someone else feel bad?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Why do you feel you have to "remind" anyone that not everyone celebrates Christmas? I have come to detest the 'season' simply because I have accidently offended someone by saying "Merry Christmas" to them and I refuse to do it anymore. I am a cashier at a 'big box' store and if someone says it to me I will say "Same to you!". I've been "reminded" several times by people who seemed to find it necessary and it was embarassing for me so, no more. And it REALLY does take away any good feelings I might have about it being Christmas. Why can't people just say "Thank you" and go on about their business instead of making someone else feel bad?
rah62 said she replies "Merry Christmas" back to people who wish her, but she is reminding people on this forum that not everyone celebrates, so what's the big deal with Happy Holidays?

When my son was four years old we were shopping and nice clerk wished us a Merry Christmas. My little son said, "We are Jews. We aren't Americans and we don't celebrate Christmas."

He was a little confused about the American/Christian thing, but I took the time to teach him to politely say "thank you" because the man was just being friendly.

The same goes for Happy Holidays. Why get upset with a friendly greeting?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I say "Merry Christmas" to people I know who celebrate it and to the occasional stranger. I might say "Happy Holidays" or something similar also. To me they're interchangeable.

There is a clerk at our local grocery store who is decked out in all kinds of Christmas swag and she kind of leans in and makes meaningful eye contact and says "Merry Christmas" like some kind of warrior in the non-existent War on Christmas. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
[quote=nonexpat;22135647]rah62 said she replies "Merry Christmas" back to people who wish her, but she is reminding people on this forum that not everyone celebrates, so what's the big deal with Happy Holidays?

When my son was four years old we were shopping and nice clerk wished us a Merry Christmas. My little son said, "We are Jews. We aren't Americans and we don't celebrate Christmas."

He was a little confused about the American/Christian thing, but I took the time to teach him to politely say "thank you" because the man was just being friendly.

The same goes for Happy Holidays. Why get upset with a friendly greeting?[/quote]

I wish someone would tell ME! I don't get upset about it. For nearly 70 years it's always been Merry Christmas for me...till the last few years. But when I get told that's it's not PC to say it I get a little upset. Sounded to me like the poster felt it necessary to "remind" people who said it to her, that not everyone celebrates it, not the people on this forum.

I have friends who follow several different 'religions', including Pagan, but none of us hesitate to wish one another whatever we celebrate, as individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies