Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Being, perhaps, a bit older than the OP (I am 56) I will say that I have heard people moan about the death of the American spirit over the years: during the mid 60s (Civil Rights era) and during the Carter administration. Heck, during the 1970s you had people talking about how our 'children's children' would be paying for the massive public debt we had incurred (much held by the Japanese).

Read Mark Twain: he also reported on various groups who bemoaned the loss of the American Way (which he said, must have meant slavery, etc).

It is the right, however, for those presently living to believe that those who had lived before them had the American Spirit, and that the future is dire. I imagine it will be so 100 years hence.
Hate to admit it but am older then you...

The freedoms that have been taken away in the name of "security" in the past 30 years, the extreme partisanship in our political leadership, the self-centered attitude of the current generation...

Today is much much worse then the 60's or 70's.

The government over the past couple of decades has shown it only exists solely for itself and to tighten it's iron fist tighter and tighter around the American people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
want to see loss of freedom go to any elementary or high school. kids getting punished for being kids every day . control em at a young age to fear authority. just today that pizza thread was sad. these kids will grow up scared, to scared to dare be free.Hopefully parents will un brainwash them and teach them what freedom really is. I know I taught my daughters.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hate to admit it but am older then you...

The freedoms that have been taken away in the name of "security" in the past 30 years, the extreme partisanship in our political leadership, the self-centered attitude of the current generation...

Today is much much worse then the 60's or 70's.

The government over the past couple of decades has shown it only exists solely for itself and to tighten it's iron fist tighter and tighter around the American people...
And I am probably older than you.

I agree with you except for the reference to "self-centeredness of the current generation". If you are referring to people age 18-35, I think you need to rethink your comment. Who makes up our troops serving overseas, putting their lives on the line in a largely thankless series of dirty little wars? Which generation is committed to community service and volunteerism to an unprecedented degree? Which people are dealing with early-life debt burdens, chronic unemployment, and an economy which seems stagnant for the foreseeable future?

I find young people today -- as individuals -- an inspiration, both in their willingness to undertake service to others, and in their commitment (sometimes over the top and misguided) to building a more just society.

I argue with my left-wing sons a lot about politics and the philosophy underlying the foundation and future of our Republic. But I never for a moment doubt their sincerity, or their belief in America (though the America they profess to want and the America I remember are two very different places!).

If young people are demanding things which we think are unreasonable, perhaps we their elders need to take a good hard look at ourselves and ask who gave them the idea that that was one way to achieve success -- and that "success" was another word for "money."

I have faith in the younger generation. We learned. So can they. And they have many more tools to do so than we had...

Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Being, perhaps, a bit older than the OP (I am 56) I will say that I have heard people moan about the death of the American spirit over the years: during the mid 60s (Civil Rights era) and during the Carter administration. Heck, during the 1970s you had people talking about how our 'children's children' would be paying for the massive public debt we had incurred (much held by the Japanese).

Read Mark Twain: he also reported on various groups who bemoaned the loss of the American Way (which he said, must have meant slavery, etc).

It is the right, however, for those presently living to believe that those who had lived before them had the American Spirit, and that the future is dire. I imagine it will be so 100 years hence.
I'll loan roysoldboy my tagline:......"Roy may have boots older than you".......

Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And I am probably older than you.

I agree with you except for the reference to "self-centeredness of the current generation". If you are referring to people age 18-35, I think you need to rethink your comment. Who makes up our troops serving overseas, putting their lives on the line in a largely thankless series of dirty little wars? Which generation is committed to community service and volunteerism to an unprecedented degree? Which people are dealing with early-life debt burdens, chronic unemployment, and an economy which seems stagnant for the foreseeable future?

I find young people today -- as individuals -- an inspiration, both in their willingness to undertake service to others, and in their commitment (sometimes over the top and misguided) to building a more just society.

I argue with my left-wing sons a lot about politics and the philosophy underlying the foundation and future of our Republic. But I never for a moment doubt their sincerity, or their belief in America (though the America they profess to want and the America I remember are two very different places!).

If young people are demanding things which we think are unreasonable, perhaps we their elders need to take a good hard look at ourselves and ask who gave them the idea that that was one way to achieve success -- and that "success" was another word for "money."

I have faith in the younger generation. We learned. So can they. And they have many more tools to do so than we had...

I agree.... I am in favor of always giving the younger generations a pass, they always seem to come around after a bit of seasoning! I was a right winger who came around to being a bit left of center later in life. young people tend to personify "knee jerk" until they have been seasoned by life a bit.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I'll loan roysoldboy my tagline:......"Roy may have boots older than you".......
Very nice of you, Sol. I will be 79 Saturday so I imagine I could find several items of clothing I have had as long, if not longer, than that poster is younger than I am.

I talked with my sister-in-law, who is 84 now. today about how close we are in years. My brother would have been 77 now if not for that big C that got him 10 years ago.

I really thought everybody here who is not a real conservative knew that I am an old man. Yep, I have all three coats that were involved in one when I bought the group in 1966. That is an old one that I will keep around in case of real necessity when global cooling takes over.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
want to see loss of freedom go to any elementary or high school. kids getting punished for being kids every day . control em at a young age to fear authority. just today that pizza thread was sad. these kids will grow up scared, to scared to dare be free.Hopefully parents will un brainwash them and teach them what freedom really is. I know I taught my daughters.
Are you saying that kids are being taught those things in schools today? We surely agree on that since it is so obvious what they are being told and why they are being told.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I know that many here just don't like the blogger who wrote this piece but even they may learn something about us if they take the time to read this thing in its entirety. Yep, everybody can learn something from it.

The Death of the American Spirit*|*Godfather Politics
Good article.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Very nice of you, Sol. I will be 79 Saturday so I imagine I could find several items of clothing I have had as long, if not longer, than that poster is younger than I am.

I talked with my sister-in-law, who is 84 now. today about how close we are in years. My brother would have been 77 now if not for that big C that got him 10 years ago.

I really thought everybody here who is not a real conservative knew that I am an old man. Yep, I have all three coats that were involved in one when I bought the group in 1966. That is an old one that I will keep around in case of real necessity when global cooling takes over.
WELL!!!,....HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON SATURDAY!!!

Hope you have many more!!

I appreciate the article,..and Beck is spot on with his assessment. Once Americans are willing to trade our liberties for security, this is a lost nation.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Good article.
It was surely a good article with no real mention of which side is the good guys or which is the bad. Yet I was attacked by some who didn't read it because they said they knew what it said because they had seen other offerings by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies