Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And where does the money come from for Steve to sit home and play xbox?

When Steve sits home and plays xbox, the employer hires Bob from the pool of 250 applicants. The money to pay Steve comes from the same place as the money that no longer is paid to Bob. Either way, ONE of the two is going to be paid. It's a wash, does it matter to you that Bob got the job instead of Steve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When Steve sits home and plays xbox, the employer hires Bob from the pool of 250 applicants. The money to pay Steve comes from the same place as the money that no longer is paid to Bob. Either way, ONE of the two is going to be paid. It's a wash, does it matter to you that Bob got the job instead of Steve?
Yeah but if there are a bunch of Bobs and a bunch of Steves those Bobs are going to wind up paying through higher taxes etc. so in the long run we're not much better off even if we technically have a lower unemployment rate.

I'm just giving you a hard time dude I know what you're saying.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Well that's my point, artificially lowering unemployment by paying Steve to stop looking for a job isn't really beneficial from an economic standpoint because that money has to come out of the economy.

I'm just giving this guy a hard time though I know what he's responding to and if you're only concerned with unemployment figures I'm sure he's correct.

As long as Steve is collecting unemployment, he is going through the motions of looking for a job, otherwise the UI office would stop paying him, Therefore, as long as he is collecting UI, he is counted as unemployed, which equals NOT lowering the unemployment rate.

You could argue that the "effective" unemployment rate is reduced (because fewer people are really looking) but not the official rate.

My perspectiuve is that of a jobseeker: the more people "not-really" looking for a job, the better for me, as it improves my odds from astronomical to merely exorbitant.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:49 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
As long as Steve is collecting unemployment, he is going through the motions of looking for a job, otherwise the UI office would stop paying him, Therefore, as long as he is collecting UI, he is counted as unemployed, which equals NOT lowering the unemployment rate.

You could argue that the "effective" unemployment rate is reduced (because fewer people are really looking) but not the official rate.
That's basically what I was saying.

Quote:
My perspectiuve is that of a jobseeker: the more people "not-really" looking for a job, the better for me, as it improves my odds from astronomical to merely exorbitant.
It's good for you personally of course but that's a pretty narrow perspective.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah but if there are a bunch of Bobs and a bunch of Steves those Bobs are going to wind up paying through higher taxes etc. so in the long run we're not much better off even if we technically have a lower unemployment rate.

I'm just giving you a hard time dude I know what you're saying.

I'm finding this exchange hilarious but now it's late and I'm too tired toi digest your current post.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Republican frothing about poor people is always somewhere between disgusting and amusing. I vote disgusting on this one. If we can bail out rich and incompetent bankers we have no right to demand that the unemployed sleep in the streets and forage from the garbage can.
We should not have bailed them out and you can blame Obama for this but you won't.

The reality is the money being spent now on unemployment benefits is coming from my tax dollars that I pay in. Money, which is the product of my hard work whatever it is I do, is forcibly taken from me by force and coersion (tax laws) and given to someone who hasn't earned it.

Someone want to tell me where the morality of this is?

We got to many morons in this country espousing the idea it is ok to take from someone that has more than you because somehow that is fair? It's disgusting is what it is.

It is the exact same thing as if you worked two jobs, working hard for 80 hours/week, to provide food and shelter for your family. But I don't have any work, I have a Masters Degree in Puppetry, and can't find a job worthy of my talents that will pay me a "living wage", so since you got all that food and I don't have any I have a "right" to come into your house taking what I need from your refrigerator? Where in the hell is this garbage taught?

You complain about the big money men, corporate greed etc but all this is the result of government selecting winners and losers instead of letting the market place do the selection.

Picking winners and losers, Freddie and Fannie should never have existed in the first place. They are government, they picked winners and losers and when government is in charge of selecting winners and losers they will pick losers 100% of the time.End all unemployment benefits. We all need to learn to save a little money for a "rainy day" instead of equipping the kids with cell phones.

End all food stamps, section 8 housing as well. You want charity? Go to your local church because taking the product of someones hard work to give to someone else is just plain evil.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 AM

521 posts, read 467,018 times
xbox, champagne, and red lobster

Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
End all food stamps, section 8 housing as well. You want charity? Go to your local church because taking the product of someones hard work to give to someone else is just plain evil.

When government stops redistributing billions and billions of dollars from renters to homeowners, then Section 8 will have lost its moral basis.

Where is the morality in taking billions and billions from renters and giving it to homeowners?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
My nephew landed a entry level position with IBM a few months back. Only pays $18.75 an hr, but not bad for a 20 yr old.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We should not have bailed them out and you can blame Obama for this but you won't."""

'SHOULDS' don't count, Bush's bail out happened.

""The reality is the money being spent now on unemployment benefits is coming from my tax dollars that I pay in."""

The unemployment is coming from MANY MANY people who worked for 40-50 years paying in and now they're getting what they paid for with THEIR taxes.
It's assinine to think that the government uses your taxes soley for YOU

I have no children BUT my taxes help to educate YOUR brats.

"" Money, which is the product of my hard work whatever it is I do, is forcibly taken from me by force and coersion (tax laws) and given to someone who hasn't earned it.

Someone want to tell me where the morality of this is?

We got to many morons in this country espousing the idea it is ok to take from someone that has more than you because somehow that is fair? It's disgusting is what it is.

It is the exact same thing as if you worked two jobs, working hard for 80 hours/week, to provide food and shelter for your family. But I don't have any work, I have a Masters Degree in Puppetry, and can't find a job worthy of my talents that will pay me a "living wage", so since you got all that food and I don't have any I have a "right" to come into your house taking what I need from your refrigerator? Where in the hell is this garbage taught?

You complain about the big money men, corporate greed etc but all this is the result of government selecting winners and losers instead of letting the market place do the selection.

Picking winners and losers, Freddie and Fannie should "

There's that silly meaningless "should" of those who wallow and whine rather than figure solutions.

""never have existed in the first place. They are government, they picked winners and losers and when government is in charge of selecting winners and losers they will pick losers 100% of the time.End all unemployment benefits. We all need to learn to save a little money for a "rainy day" instead of equipping the kids with cell phones.

""...because taking the product of someones hard work to give to someone else is just plain evil...""

Like corporations took the product (profit) of their employees hard work and gave it to themselves and their stockholders....while lowering employees wages and laying them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies