Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Bargainers reach deal to head off gov't shutdown - Yahoo! News

Another 188 billion dollars down the drain as they pay the dregs...I'm sorry, the "long term unemployed"... to play XBox all day.
Funny...thats nothing compared to the trillions spent to save the bankster deadbets, and they do far less to boost the economy than the 'long-term unemployed' do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
I like Obamas' grand design: Soften up the common American by giving them just enough to get hooked, then bring them under the govt. thumb to serve millionaires like house servants.
Of course, it only works if you manage to climb aboard the "SS Sucks-To-Be-You".
Bon Voyage Commoners!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Threads like this is why I post threads like these.

The ironic thing is that Republicans in Congress were generally supportive of extending UE benefits.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
But yeah, there are no opportunities or jobs for those willing to get an education. Right.
The problem with that statement is that "education" has nothing to do with skills anymore, it just means go screw around for 4 years and get a degree in puppetry. You'd laugh your ass off at my "education" but hey I make money because I have skills.

Nunchaku skills... bowhunting skills... computer hacking skills...

Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Tell ya what, how about a trade? You give me property, and I'll give you a clue.

It's absolutely true that people would have opportunities if they'd get off their rear ends and learn something useful. I'll give you 4 present-day examples:

The Seattle Times has called me no less than 4 times in the last 8 months because they're looking for a Sr. Network Engineer. I've no interest, I've already got a great job (2 if you count the company I own), my skillset is beyond what they need, the money doesn't match up for me etc.....but they have had this job open for EIGHT MONTHS. They keep calling me because they can't find anybody (In Seattle, mind you, a mecca for techies) to fill the role. A friend at Expedia keeps trying to poach me away, and he's had four positions open since June that he's been unable to fill (it was 6, but apparently he FINALLY found 2 people). Not all of them senior level. Indian Headhunters keep pestering me about a gig at T-Mobile since July. I field at least 1 headhunter call a week about that gig. It's only a couple of steps above entry level (which puts it so far below where I'm at, I wonder why they even call), but again, they can't fill it. And I field at least 2 calls a week about new AT&T openings, and have every week since about February.

These are jobs that have been open for a long time that the companies simply can't fill. These are all 80 (T-Mobile)-175Ka year jobs that have sat open for AGES because there's nobody to take them.

But yeah, there are no opportunities or jobs for those willing to get an education. Right.
WOW talk about clueless!!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
WOW talk about clueless!!!!
He's not joking. Are you in IT? I'm a total loser and I get more job offers than he's talking about.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Funny...thats nothing compared to the trillions spent to save the bankster deadbets, and they do far less to boost the economy than the 'long-term unemployed' do
Argument deflection fail.

Here's a hint: When your only counterargument is to try and shift the focus of the conversation to something else, kyou've already lost.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Argument deflection fail.

Here's a hint: When your only counterargument is to try and shift the focus of the conversation to something else, kyou've already lost.
Okay, if you know all, then what would you recommend I do to end my unemployment?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Okay, if you know all, then what would you recommend I do to end my unemployment?
Develop useful skills.

Simple solutions for simple problems.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
With all due respect, GAisGreat . . .

What do the "long-term unemployed" do to boost the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies