Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

Why exactly is long-term unemployment akin to deadbeat??? Also, what on earth makes you think all the long-term unemployed play X-box all day??? While that may be true for part of the population, I highly doubt it's true for most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Lets not overlook one simple fact. Companies dont start layoffs with letting go their best employees.
They do when they shut down, or your skills are in a division that's being eliminated. If it's a merger or buy out, some of the low level employees might keep their jobs, but the existing mid level and up management usually get shown the door. That's what we've seen in this area.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:51 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
The left thinks everyone collecting deserves it and is pounding the pavem,ent all day.
The right thinks they are all scamming.
Like most things in life , the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They do when they shut down, or your skills are in a division that's being eliminated. If it's a merger, some of the low level employees might keep their jobs, but the existing mid level and up management usually gets shown the door. That's what we've seen in this area.
True, but when downsizing its the guy they have been wanting to get rid of for a while that goes first. Thats the way I do it.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Quote:
True, but when downsizing its the guy they have been wanting to get rid of for a while that goes first. Thats the way I do it.
They had me train 3 people, unknowing to me they were to be my replacement. Thankfully I found a job pretty quickly.
Not so lucky for my Mother who after 20+ years with the state..
She got a pink slip 2 months ago.
Just one of the 15,000 state jobs cut here.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Thats one reason why Im not a fan of Unions. Unlike the private sector where the producers keep their jobs and slackers get the door , seniority comes into play.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Too much bellyaching on this thread.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
If you eliminate an entire department of employees with a certain skill set, everyone goes.

An example is my field--marketing/pr/development. I'm a former non-profit executive. When I wanted to work part-time from home (young kids) I started out doing development consulting (fundraising) with a few clients. As the economy has fallen apart, and as I've been ready to go back full time, my business is booming. I've bought a building and formed a partnership with a woman doing association management, and we continue to expand.

Do you know why? Because the first people to be let go are the majority of the marketing and development staff, and the support staff. Instead of hiring a full time employee (s) to write grants, organize and manage fundraisers and mailers, special events, conferences, etc., or even do a small professional association's books, filings, and arrange meetings, etc., they're hiring people like us on a contract basis out of economic necessity. They're scaling way back on marketing/development/pr and office support and hiring companies like mine--even though we charge fairly substantial fees--because it's still cheaper than hiring an employee, and my staff have the level of professional skills and technical experience to do the job quickly, professionally and efficiently vs. hiring a temp from a different type of agency.

When we were hiring this summer, I had nearly 50 resumes from people who were strongly qualified to work with us--that doesn't include the ones we dismissed out of hand--and I had jobs for two. I promise you--none of those people looking for work were deadbeats.

Last edited by mb1547; 12-16-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Bargainers reach deal to head off gov't shutdown - Yahoo! News

Another 188 billion dollars down the drain as they pay the dregs...I'm sorry, the "long term unemployed"... to play XBox all day.
The reality is that people on UI for an extended period will find themselfs unemployable when they do get cut-off. The skills they had (if any) will be worthless after being away for so long and they will have the stigma of a lazy person who has entitlement mentality. If they do find a job it will probably for less income than the UI provided.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So the last administration was a disaster yet you claim that going back to 2007/2008 will be just great for everybody?

You like to throw around a lot of insults at folks yet make a ridiculous post like this?? LOL
Maybe if you had read what i wrote and NOT what you thought i had written..............
"America is now slowly edging out of recession and hopefully will not be put back into the position it was in 2007/8."
At the end of the last administration, America was in the deepest hole that it has probably ever been in ........ Despite these amazing job creating tax cuts to the wealthy big corporations........... Manufacturing has virtually ceased and unemployment is out of control.... Just shows that giving huge tax breaks to the top 1% does NOT create jobs but quite the reverse, it creates richer CEO's and allows bigger bonuses to the "fat cats" in a company while the workers for the company get laid off or get decreases in their pay and pay proportinally higher tax than their employers................... YES there is something very very wrong with this picture.
To try to put the blame on people who have lost their jobs through ill health or company greed etc and having to get benefits to survive is like blaming your car for driving down the wrong street..........
get real here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies